RE: .243 Caliber 105 Gr. VLD Bullet - Woman Killed Elk At 688 Yards!

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,685 Senior Member
    I play around with metallic swingers at 700 yards. And that's a lot of real estate to cover. Especially with a .243.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,369 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I just watched the video, and read the posts from the guy who owns/built the rifle. I agree with what Wambli said, he's trying to drum up business for his $6,000 custom Rem 700's.

I see it as a stunt, nothing more, nothing less. The lady that "made the shot" was nothing but the "trigger puller" John set up the rifle, dialed the range on the scope and made the wind call (From his thread about it on another forum google found for me)

I am quite certain there are quite a few of us here are capable of making that kind of shot when all we have to do is put the scope on the target, pull the trigger and follow through

This is like firing an artillery piece...all the calculations are done and dialed in by the rest of the crew, and the guy yanking the lanyard pats himself on the back for hitting the target....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,121 Senior Member
    I play the game "How far is it?". With some guys I hunt with. Most of the time I do pretty good but other times I don't
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    For some reason, my south pasture always gets folks...most will take a look and say "300 yards or so" in reality its 440...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,029 Senior Member
    That's what I'm talkin about farm boy. It hit me when I started playing golf a few years back and I realized just how frieghteningly far 500 or even 400 yards is, because most golf courses have yard markers and you can see exactly what it is. Most people just don't realize it. They go out and look at something 200-300 yards out and misjudge it as 500-or 600 yards. AND the word Magnum doesn't really help that much. It gives you a little more, but not what some expect. If you doin't believe this, just look at drop charts and see the difference in drop of a 7mm Mauser or 7mm-08 and a 7 Mag. It's still only a few inches and at extreme range that makes not much practical difference.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I just watched the video, and read the posts from the guy who owns/built the rifle. I agree with what Wambli said, he's trying to drum up business for his $6,000 custom Rem 700's.

I see it as a stunt, nothing more, nothing less. The lady that "made the shot" was nothing but the "trigger puller" John set up the rifle, dialed the range on the scope and made the wind call (From his thread about it on another forum google found for me)

I am quite certain there are quite a few of us here are capable of making that kind of shot when all we have to do is put the scope on the target, pull the trigger and follow through

Yeah and women are naturally usually pretty smooth shooters due to the fact that they mostly have a lower BP and can hold on a target better. IF all the work is done for her why not? And what better sales pitch for this guy than saying his $6,000 Rifle killed at this range in the hands of a woman. Truth be known this woman most likely is a good shooter and understands ballistics and range estimation. They probably just played all that down to make it seem like she's just your regular house wife that took his custom rifle and nails game at extreme range. Great advertisement.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks Snake! Out of all the rifles I own, if I was to go Elk hunting in Colorado I would choose my 7mm mag. and my 30-06 Thats all I am saying.
    Oh yeah Robert, I agree with you. I was thinking NC hunting. All I'm saying is that those you mentioned in your other post would be some awesome deep woods Deer and Bear Slaying impliments, especially that .35 Remington.

And if my spelling sucks it's because I am a notoriously bad speller. I got a college degree partially because of spell check. You didn't see me in the National Spelling Bee with all the Asian kids. I live on spell check and since they don't have it on this new forum, I'm screwed because I'm too damn lazy to go to bring up a dictionary window.
    But never mind, y'all know what I'm saying. Just use your imagination and spell phonetically because "I'm hooked on Phonics!" :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    :topic:Way to go snake284. Just like Shakespeare, make up your own words and spellings.:roll2::roll2:

‘’Mr. Bilbo has learned him his letters- meaning no harm, mark, and I hope no harm will come of it.’’

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Oh yeah Robert, I agree with you. I was thinking NC hunting. All I'm saying is that those you mentioned in your other post would be some awesome deep woods Deer and Bear Slaying impliments, especially that .35 Remington.

And if my spelling sucks it's because I am a notoriously bad speller. I got a college degree partially because of spell check. You didn't see me in the National Spelling Bee with all the Asian kids. I live on spell check and since they don't have it on this new forum, I'm screwed because I'm too damn lazy to go to bring up a dictionary window.
    But never mind, y'all know what I'm saying. Just use your imagination and spell phonetically because "I'm hooked on Phonics!" :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Thanks again Snake,,, We have got to find a way to get together this summer!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
    Irresponcible stunt, irresponcible shot, irresponcible advertising.

100 gr SGK @ 2960fps

Yards
    trajectory
    +13.6---- +24.11-- +29.13--- +27.69 - +18.53--- Zero---- -29.96
    energy foot lbs
    10 mph cross wind --.7
    12.81 --- 21.05 - 31.96 ---- 45.96

IMHO it might have enough energy for an ethical shot at 400yards.
    With a bullet drop of 30 inches between 600 and 700 yards? Energy at 600fps?
    You can use a different bullet and add a few fps maybe, but it doesn't change that much.
    Custom rifle, custom ammo, premium scope, good shooter, expert guide, but it doesn't change much.
    Lousy hunter! Irresponcible shot!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • ZombieMaxZombieMax New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    You have to remember the guys an gals on the LR site (not the site the video was first posted) train on first shot hits out to 2000 plus yards. Many of these folks ring 9" plates at 1700 yards 10 hits out of 10 shots. They have spent a life time training to shoot like that because people's lifes depended on it.

It was a great shot by a team that knew what they could do and what the equipment would do at that distance. Did you hear him call the wind change when the wind switched directions? That Elk was hammered no doubt about it from that "weak" 243. Great job!
    First-Welcome to forum.
    Second, I know a lot of folks who shoot LR.
    I do not know any that can consistently shoot a 10 shot group at 1700 yards and shoot just above 1/2 MOA (8.5" is basically 1/2 MOA) with no sighters.
    For the folks who are capable of shooting ultra distances and are using 338 Lapua case and improving it, necking it down to 30 and 7mm and 270, and the 408 Chey-Tac Improved case necked down to 375, 338, etc., very rarely fire 10 shot groups.
    John is the best field shooter I know of with a 7mm-first shot connections, while Shawn Carlock consistently make 1k kills and beyond with his 338.

ZombieMax wrote: »
    You have to remember the guys an gals on the LR site (not the site the video was first posted) train on first shot hits out to 2000 plus yards. Many of these folks ring 9" plates at 1700 yards 10 hits out of 10 shots. They have spent a life time training to shoot like that because people's life's depended on it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep, and I'll bet they have the special boots that let them climb walls, too!
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    You have to remember the guys an gals on the LR site (not the site the video was first posted) train on first shot hits out to 2000 plus yards. Many of these folks ring 9" plates at 1700 yards 10 hits out of 10 shots. They have spent a life time training to shoot like that because people's lifes depended on it.

It was a great shot by a team that knew what they could do and what the equipment would do at that distance. Did you hear him call the wind change when the wind switched directions? That Elk was hammered no doubt about it from that "weak" 243. Great job!

qxs08kjpg.gif
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    qxs08kjpg.gif

:rotflmao: oh that one pushed it over the top for me. Wife thinks I'm nuts now she hears lughter down the hall

HMMMM Somebody's been reading too many Sniper tales. That's the problem now days, too many get all enthusiastic about something they read about and then believe they can do it. I've said this before, but I don't mind repeating it. There are people on this forum capable of shooting very long range, but they do their homework and practice a lot and I feel that they know their limitations and don't push the envelope. If I had a 1000 yard range available here, I'd be doing some longer range shooting. But as things are, I only get to practice out to 200 yards so I don't push my luck on long range shooting at game.
    Teach wrote: »
    Yep, and I'll bet they have the special boots that let them climb walls, too!
    Jerry

Whatever kind of boots they have Teach they need to make sure the Pooh won't leak in, cause they're almost knee deep in it. Maybe chest waders would be good. Or they could just swing from a sky hook and stab the animal with a knife, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Quinian wrote: »
    :rotflmao: oh that one pushed it over the top for me. Wife thinks I'm nuts now she hears lughter down the hall

Sometimes a picture is worth like a thousand, billion words...
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    You guys are missing the point. A 243, 257 Roberts, Weatherby, 270, 7mm08 will all effectively kill elk at the APPROPRIATE range, the 243 with the right bullet is a 200 yard elk gun, the others little farther.
    What makes me sick is they are shooting at 688 yards..........????? All thes Best of the W... and Longranges this and that is nothing more than non hunters who want to play sniper and since they cant shoot people they are doing it to animals. I shoot 400 yards on elk, deer, coyotes when all is right but to me that is prob too far, but typical shot where I hunt in CO is 300-400 yards, just the layout of the land and no way to get closer.
    I dont see a reason to shoot any animal that far, I just saw a pic of a doe shot at 502 yards with a 7mm ULtra mag, ...........why the hell do you need that for a little doe, it had a hole in it the size of a fist.
    I am actually going backwards, just ordered a 280 AI from Dakota and a 300 H & H from Cooper, Iam going to use a 257 roberts Ruger No 1 for deer, I am getting to where it is about the animal and the hunt. If I want to shoot 1000 yards on steel that is fine, but not on animals........to me that is disrespectful or your a bad hunter or both!
    Dalebow wrote: »
    You guys are missing the point. A 243, 257 Roberts, Weatherby, 270, 7mm08 will all effectively kill elk at the APPROPRIATE range, the 243 with the right bullet is a 200 yard elk gun, the others little farther.

Actually Dale, none of the experienced shooters here missed the point... The round in question + distance + elk = Stunt...
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    I guess I meant to say, no one needs to be shooting 668 yards at a game animal no matter what your shooting at it with.:cool2:
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This is like firing an artillery piece...all the calculations are done and dialed in by the rest of the crew, and the guy yanking the lanyard pats himself on the back for hitting the target....
    Ain't that the truth Jayhawker! The guy doing the least gets all the credit! Some things never change. Life is full of this kind of crap.
    I don't have a problem with someone making a 688 yard shot on a elk, if they know what they are doing, and have the right rig for the job.
    I have shot elk just under that distance and then, this past fall at 29 yards with a bow.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,939 Senior Member
    I don't have a problem with someone making a 688 yard shot on a elk, if they know what they are doing, and have the right rig for the job.
    :that:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,372 Senior Member
    29 yds. on elk with a bow? There's folks who would frown at a shot past 20-25.
    Overkill is underrated.
    No doubt about that.

I figure there will be folks who will frown upon about anything that:
    They don't understand
    Can't do
    Didn't do themselves
    Didn't think of it themselves
    Someone told them it was wrong
    Etc., etc., etc.
    Some people just frown at things for general purposes, whether it is right or wrong.
    29 yds. on elk with a bow? There's folks who would frown at a shot past 20-25.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,372 Senior Member
    Yep. I wouldn't take a shot past 200 yds. on an elk or any deer-sized and larger critter, and would never bowhunt one, but that's because I don't have the experience, and at this time such a thing would be unethical. On the other hand, get me some practice and experience, and I would probably reconsider.

I don't like making ethics into legislation.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I think the point, from my admittedly rather narrow and jaded perspective, is that it CAN be done...both responsibly AND ethically...HOWEVER, it cannot be done by just anyone, there's more to it than pulling the trigger...In truth, even though the shooter filled her tag....it wasn't, in truth, her elk...somewhat akin to shooting a monster buck on the internet...
    And I Frown Right Back--FEEL the FROWN!:mad::tooth:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I frown upon you, Ernie. Just because I can. :tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    And I Frown Right Back--FEEL the FROWN!:mad::tooth:

Only You are frowning down.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13