Fly Rod Bass

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,196 Senior Member
Hit a local pond last night to see if I could entice any bass with a chartreuse mini jig fly. Caught an even dozen 8 to 12 inch, all within about 5 yards of shore, and one that I never saw coz it came off. I was casting about 15 to 20 yards out and all the fish took the fly up close. Don't know if I was wasting my long casts and should have just flipped the flies out to 5 yards, or if the fish followed the fly in. I'll try again tonight.

A 12 inch bass is fun on a 5 weight fly rod. 
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,521 Senior Member
    Ain't nuthin wrong with doing a little fishin and all the mo better when you catch some.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 959 Senior Member
    I have a fly rod that belonged to my grandfather......but I have no idea how to use it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    Catching pretty much any fish on a fly rod is a lot of fun. While l primarily target trout, I really enjoy tossing flies for pan fish. There are guys making good money guiding trips for carp ( aka " Golden Tarpon" ) on the fly out on the flats in Lake Michigan
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    Hit a local pond last night to see if I could entice any bass with a chartreuse mini jig fly. Caught an even dozen 8 to 12 inch, all within about 5 yards of shore, and one that I never saw coz it came off. I was casting about 15 to 20 yards out and all the fish took the fly up close. Don't know if I was wasting my long casts and should have just flipped the flies out to 5 yards, or if the fish followed the fly in. I'll try again tonight.

A 12 inch bass is fun on a 5 weight fly rod. 

I posted a few weeks ago about catching bass on a 5 wt. fly rod for a kayak.  That is a hoot.  One of the ones I caught went 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.  That's fun.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    Sounds like a great time Dan!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,920 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Catching pretty much any fish on a fly rod is a lot of fun. While l primarily target trout, I really enjoy tossing flies for pan fish. There are guys making good money guiding trips for carp ( aka " Golden Tarpon" ) on the fly out on the flats in Lake Michigan
    There are a LOT of mullberry bushes/trees along the lake here.  When the berries ripen and start falling the carp eat them. You can catch them on a fly rod with a purple/black fly tied out of yarn. Catching a big carp on a bass weight flyrod is a freakin' HOOT! :)
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,204 Senior Member
    Have caught a lot of bass and blue gill on a fly rod. Lots of fun!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    One of my favorite things is casting a mylar minnow into a school of feeding crappie....just stupid fun...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    One of my favorite things is casting a mylar minnow into a school of feeding crappie....just stupid fun...
    When you can find them on the beds in the shallows that is some REAL fun! Same with the Shellcrackers down here. Catch them on the beds and use a really small mylar hand tied fly, or one that looks like a waxworm, and they will rip it! On an ultralight flyrod those things are a blast.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,196 Senior Member
    Gonna try a 1" gulp minnow on a 1/64 oz jig head and see if the crappie go for it. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Gonna try a 1" gulp minnow on a 1/64 oz jig head and see if the crappie go for it. 

They should tackle that. You're far enough North of me that the bedding fish should be just getting a good start. When the crappie gang up to spawn, they get pretty frisky about eating anything that looks tasty.