Kilauea volcano in Hawaii erupting again

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 22,990 Senior Member
Getting nasty with the lava flows over there. Getting some earthquake activity, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/04/hawaiis-kilauea-volcano-finally-erupts-evacuations-underway-as-lava-threatens-communities/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.94abdf2f198a

A day after the most active volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii erupted, two major earthquakes rattled the island and fountains of lava gushed out of the ground in a subdivision, forcing residents to flee amid threats of fires and “extremely high levels of dangerous” sulfur dioxide gas.

The island shook at regular intervals, but especially around midday Friday: A 5.6 magnitude quake hit south of the volcano around 11:30 a.m. local time, followed about an hour later by a 6.9 magnitude one, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency reported that the threat of a tsunami was low following the earthquakes.

Kilauea first erupted Thursday, sending white, billowing clouds of steam and volcanic ash into the sky and prompting emergency officials to order mandatory evacuations.

Authorities warned residents to stay out of the area Friday as molten rock shot high into the air from cracks in the ground in Leilani Estates, a subdivision in the Puna district, on the eastern side of the island.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency said there was “active volcanic fountaining” in the neighborhood, meaning the lava was springing up from ground fractures; reports indicated it was shooting 80 to 100 feet into the sky. The Geological Survey said at least five fissure vents have opened in the subdivision so far — and that more outbreaks are likely to occur along the rift zone.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,463 Senior Member
    Apocalyptic video.

I'd flee too.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,485 Senior Member
    Who was the guy from Hawaii that we had on here for a while?
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,871 Senior Member
    slanteyedshootist.  Lives in Oregon now.  IIRC, not too awfully far from another member, bobby something... I don't recall his full screen name, but he has the Flag and Thunderbird for his avatar.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    edited May 5 #5
    I miss Slant on here. He has a good sense of (Oriental) humor!

I remember him posting a pic and caption of 'Waffing out loud'???
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Who the hell builds a home on an active volcano....plenty of empirical historical evidence that it's a stupid idea....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,025 Senior Member
    I was hiking on that volcano just last November! Will look up some photos and post later. Crazy stuff!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,990 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Who the hell builds a home on an active volcano....plenty of empirical historical evidence that it's a stupid idea....
    An eternal optimist* builds a home on the side of a volcano. They believe it will never erupt again, and if it does, the lava will miss them.

*Eternal optimist--a person with no common sense, generally a liberal/democrat, that expects others to pay high insurance premiums, and also government aid, to rebuild the house that got incinerated in the lava flow. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

As promised photos of Kilauea. Top one is from the main crater. The bottom is from lava flow 61g. Hiked out about 2 miles over lava fields to get to the active flow area. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    edited May 6 #10
    Hiking those lava fields is dangerous. Falling through an inactive tube can result in broken bones and nasty cuts. Falling through an active tube can result in being extremely overcooked! :D

tennmike said:
    Jayhawker said:
    An eternal optimist* builds a home on the side of a volcano. They believe it will never erupt again, and if it does, the lava will miss them.

*Eternal optimist--a person with no common sense, generally a liberal/democrat, that expects others to pay high insurance premiums, and also government aid, to rebuild the house that got incinerated in the lava flow. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    Same reason people build houses on islands in the Caribbean, along the gulf coast, in areas prone to tornadoes, or in known fault zones. 

Seriously though because of the volcano property is super cheap in that part of the island and it's a crazy wild and beautiful place. When I was there I can definitely see why someone would want to live there, but I definitely wouldn't buy a large home, more like an RV or cheap prefab. 
    -DoctorWho
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,485 Senior Member
    You should see the amount of house around and on Vesuvius....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    I did back in the 1970s. I can only imagine the clutter that has grown on and around Vesuvius  by leaps and bounds since then.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    As long as my tax dollars don't have to rebuild their homes every 20 years, I don't care if they have a houseboat in the crater. When they get blown out, they are entitled to bottled water and MREs for a month, if they survive it - just to honor their hard-headedness.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Slow learners....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,879 Senior Member
    edited May 7 #16
    I was as a side trip from Rome last year. The once covered by lava area has had a city built on it. 
    After Pompeii was vitually wiped off the planet, people rebuilt on the same area.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,563 Senior Member
    I saw Etna in 1996.  Not long after an eruption.  I suppose it was still in the memory of some, or forbidden otherwise, as I don't remember any occupied houses on the road up.  There was one stone house that was partially buried in the lava.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I was on Mt. Etna in the 1970s when it was having a small eruption. It was wintertime and lots of skiers having a ball on the slopes. Occasionally a few red hot glowing rocks would get spit out and roll down the side of the mountain. Lots of steam and smoke coming out of the vents on the side of the mountain, too. People can sometimes do crazy stuff. The sailors I was with on that trip were no exception; it was a fun trip.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,563 Senior Member
    I was there in December for only two nights on my way home to Raleigh via Rome.  There were people enjoying the scenery, could have been skiers, I don't remember.  The lava looked like asphalt.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    As long as my tax dollars don't have to rebuild their homes every 20 years, I don't care if they have a houseboat in the crater. When they get blown out, they are entitled to bottled water and MREs for a month, if they survive it - just to honor their hard-headedness.
    This.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Saw some new coverage on the news on the volcanic eruption in Hawaii. The earthquakes opened up some fissures a good way from the summit of the mountain and the lava is really flowing out of the fissures.

bisley said:
    This.
    Says the guy who lives in a state that's had something like $200 Billion in hurricane damage since the turn of the century. Just sayin...
    -DoctorWho
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    This.
    Says the guy who lives in a state that's had something like $200 Billion in hurricane damage since the turn of the century. Just sayin...

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Jayhawker said:

Same reason people build houses on islands in the Caribbean, along the gulf coast, in areas prone to tornadoes, or in known fault zones. 

Seriously though because of the volcano property is super cheap in that part of the island and it's a crazy wild and beautiful place. When I was there I can definitely see why someone would want to live there, but I definitely wouldn't buy a large home, more like an RV or cheap prefab. 

In all seriousness, have you seen any data on the emissions from the volcano and the vents? How much it is pumping out in comparison to a metropolitan area?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,686 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    This.
    You can easily build a house that will (survive a hurricane.

Lava? Not so much.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,879 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    This.
    And just how much do you think people pay a month for insurance? You think insurance companies do what they do to be nice?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Oh, it's a very valid point.

I don't want tax dollars underwriting the insurance companies  (or providing insurance for) folks who live in those areas.

In my opinion, we've got some folks who have built way too expensive things on areas that used to be uninsurable thanks to taxpayer underwriting.

I could talk about elite rule theory, but I won't. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,546 Senior Member
    There's a MAJOR difference between folks building on the coast and building on an active volcano.

There's a CHANCE a hurricane may hit your your house.

The volcano is NOT going anywhere.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

bisley said:
    This.
    Do I own that? I was raised on the prairie, and have lived in the piney woods for 45 years. I've been to the Gulf twice in my whole life. The people who live and make their living there have been rebuilding themselves since before Buffalo Hump was burning them out in the Republic of Texas days. Anyway, what would happen to a Governor that refused federal funds, since Texans pay more taxes than they will ever recover from the feds. It is the system that is in place, and you cannot expect taxpayers to decline federal aid when they give it to 49 other states and half of the world?

You might take notice that THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS absorbed half of the Katrina refugees, and had Houston rebuilding itself BEFORE any federal funds arrived. Neighbors helped each other to a greater extent than what our country has become accustomed to, for years. Sure, they accepted taxpayer money, because their taxes paid the tab for a thousand other disasters. The majority of folks who were wiped out knew what they were doing and accepted the risks, without regard for whether or not anyone else would cover their bet.

My point is simply that people should weigh the risks and be sure that they can afford them, before inviting disaster. At least half of all Texans probably disagree with that point of view, to varying degrees, but it doesn't change my own personal opinion. A big part of being free is accepting the risks entailed, including having the self discipline to not become a beggar, when you lose. I'm all for subsistence level help and restoring order to local government, for people who meet with hard times, but it shouldn't be a replacement policy that politicians will use to buy votes.
    Bisley, I believe Alpha was responding to my agreement with  your statement.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Bisley, I believe Alpha was responding to my agreement with  your statement.
    I'm sure you are right. He rarely responds to my 'mean-spirited' posts. You and Jerm are excellent ambassadors. :)