Sight pushers

wddodgewddodge Senior MemberPosts: 957 Senior Member
I've changed front and rear sights on several of my 1911s over the years without alot of problems. Most of the time a little tap with a plastic rod will get them to slide out of the dove tail. Right now I've got a Rock Island that neither the front or rear sight will budge. Does anybody have any recommendations for 1911 sight pushers that work good??  Thanks

Denny
Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,581 Senior Member
    And while we're on the subject, any "general purpose; multi-gun capable" sight pusher recommendations? Everything from vintage Lugers to modern CZ75, LC9s, etc, etc.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,475 Senior Member
    If you guys move your sights on anything you're gonna pack, better make sure them sights are tight after you move them.

Just saying.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,719 Senior Member
    Only one I got is for the 91/30 Mosin Nagant and works on the Enfield/Ishapore too. A front sight tool, I bought some years ago.

I have no idy if they have a shop-block jig or workbench block that will work on several models or just for a specific one like a Glock or 1911.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,325 Senior Member
    Plastic or brass will drive them out ......just go the right way because most are tapered.
    I have heard Brownells make some but I think they are specific to the gun.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,688 Senior Member
    wddodge said:
    I've changed front and rear sights on several of my 1911s over the years without alot of problems. Most of the time a little tap with a plastic rod will get them to slide out of the dove tail. Right now I've got a Rock Island that neither the front or rear sight will budge. Does anybody have any recommendations for 1911 sight pushers that work good??  Thanks

Denny
    I've tried a few over the years and I can tell you the cheap ones do not work well, specially on sights that are "stuck" and anything that works on multiple platforms and is worthwhile buying will need you to have a bunch of sights to change to be cost effective.  That being said I've changed a bunch of sights over the years using nothing but a brass rod/punch and tons of care but I've screwed up enough of them to know that a specialty tool is just worth the $$$.  So I'm waiting until I have 4-5 pistols that need done (getting close) to make an investment in a true gunsmith quality tool.

When I'm ready I'm buying this one but I'll heck here first to see if any of our gunsmiths has a better option they recommend. At over $300 it's not cheap but a few screwed up night sights will convince you not to screw around with cheaper units.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/p500-pro-universal-sight-tool-sku694000005-54823-105913.aspx?rrec=true

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,880 Senior Member
    I put new sights on a pistol once using a brass punch and a hammer. The front came off and new one on very easily. The rear not so much. I buggered it up some and ended up bringing it to a local guy that makes brakes and builds high end guns. He charged me cost for the replacement rear sight and installed it with one made for a 1911 at no cost. He showed me how it worked and with the pusher he had the one off and replacement installed and adjusted both quicker than I removed one.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,341 Senior Member
    wddodge said:

Denny
    I've tried a few over the years and I can tell you the cheap ones do not work well, specially on sights that are "stuck" and anything that works on multiple platforms and is worthwhile buying will need you to have a bunch of sights to change to be cost effective.  That being said I've changed a bunch of sights over the years using nothing but a brass rod/punch and tons of care but I've screwed up enough of them to know that a specialty tool is just worth the $$$.  So I'm waiting until I have 4-5 pistols that need done (getting close) to make an investment in a true gunsmith quality tool.

When I'm ready I'm buying this one but I'll heck here first to see if any of our gunsmiths has a better option they recommend. At over $300 it's not cheap but a few screwed up night sights will convince you not to screw around with cheaper units.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/p500-pro-universal-sight-tool-sku694000005-54823-105913.aspx?rrec=true

This is the one I have, works pretty good.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 957 Senior Member
    wddodge said:

Denny

That's one that I've been looking at. The only thing stopping me is the price. I change a set of sights about every 4-5 years and I'm not getting any younger. This is one that's highly recommended over on another forum..http://www.sightpushertool.com/shop-online. Not one person has said it doesn't work and it's about 1/3 the price. After looking at pushers for a few days, I'm understanding why the local shops are asking $40-$50 to put on a set of sights.

Denny

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    wddodge said:
    wddodge said:

Denny

That's one that I've been looking at. The only thing stopping me is the price. I change a set of sights about every 4-5 years and I'm not getting any younger. This is one that's highly recommended over on another forum..http://www.sightpushertool.com/shop-online. Not one person has said it doesn't work and it's about 1/3 the price. After looking at pushers for a few days, I'm understanding why the local shops are asking $40-$50 to put on a set of sights.

Denny

Yep.  Between the cost of the tools and the VERY GOOD chance of screwing up a customer's slide that is a cheap price to pay to have it done.  There's a reason most gunsmiths struggle to make a decent living.  Many folks do not appreciate how difficult their job really is.  I just spent 3 hours jacking around with my P228 giving it a trigger job and quite frankly I should have just sent it out.  It would have been a more cost effective use of my time.

Anyway that is a nice unit on the link you shared and made in the USA too.  If you decide to take that route I'll be interested in finding out how it works for you.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,995 Senior Member
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Anyway that is a nice unit on the link you shared and made in the USA too.  If you decide to take that route I'll be interested in finding out how it works for you.
    I'll let you know. It'll probably be a couple of weeks till I order one.

Denny
    wddodge said:

I'll let you know. It'll probably be a couple of weeks till I order one.

Denny
    I have no immediate pressing need.  Probably late summer before I get around to it.
    I have no immediate pressing need.  Probably late summer before I get around to it.
    Here ya go, Wambli. No excuses now! Happy Dance animated emoticon

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Those translations are really a stake thru the ole heart....   :)   I'm sure it'll be before the end of summer. I have the sights laying here on my desk looking at me and I'll be done helping out on the farm in a couple of weeks....... weather permitting of course.
    tennmike said:

My wife would LOVE to give me one of those... 🤣
    tennmike said:

My wife would LOVE to give me one of those... 🤣
    I've got some of those (not like that one) lying around the house. I'll give her one at the Shoot if I remember it! >:) :D

I can't believe how fast time flys when I get old.  Summer is almost over and I just ordered the sight pusher.  :)  I'll let you know what all gets mangled up when I try to use it..

Denny
    This is the Mk 3 kit that I ended up ordering. https://www.sightpushertool.com/shop-online I've got to say that it works very good. It's the only sight pusher that I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it to but I'm happy with the results.

The rear sight was really stuck in this Rock Island. It made a noticeable "pop" sound when it finally moved. It looks like the slide may have been cut a little big from the factory. There were 4 **** marks on the top of the  rear edge of the groove to snug it down a bit. I had to do a little filing on these to get the new sight to push in. It fits nice and snug even before snugging down the set screws.

Denny

I'm not sure why I got *** in my last post. It's a word that I'd have used in front of my Mom without another thought. The 4 marks that were there looked like you took a blunt ended punch and gave it a whack....... 4 times in a row.

Denny
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,581 Senior Member
    wddodge said:
    I'm not sure why I got *** in my last post. It's a word that I'd have used in front of my Mom without another thought. The 4 marks that were there looked like you took a blunt ended punch and gave it a whack....... 4 times in a row.

Denny
    Don't worry about it - the auto-censor is extraordinarily politically correct - the mods are slowly getting it tuned up so it won't be such a nanny...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,207 Senior Member
    The sorry state in which we usually find guns (Specially vintage ones) here has teach us a few "crafts" regarding moving/removing rear sights.

First of all, a drop of oil or two before trying anything always help; when rust is evident, leaving the area soaked in any penetrating lubricant for 24 hours before trying anything usually works. For the lack of something better, WD-40 has been always useful for the task.

A good brass punch set is mandatory; got one at B.P.S. that has worked wonderfully, although a few times I had to use a heavier mallet than the one supplied in it.
    Also paramount is a good surface to use as backstop before applying any force; sitting in your bed using your knee as stop base is a BAD idea, specially if you drive the punch right into your own joint!

4 hands are better than two; wife has hated me for waking her up (And make an awful din in the "gunsmith" process) a few times for helping me whack out a rear sight or other gun part, but the help saved me time and skin.

Finally, start tapping lightly but repeatedly, and increase force gradually if needed many times lots of light taps have done a better and less damaging job than a single strong hit.