In transit... the move to Oregon

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,661 Senior Member
I have been mostly absent because of prepping for this move to Oregon.  I have been packing for months and two weeks ago the movers took most of the stuff, but I was left with what I am taking in the trailer, and cleanup.  I got the trailer loaded Wednesday morning with some help from UHaul contract loaders, and headed to Sarasota.  I looked at my rig and tires and was immediately worried. The nose was up too much and the tires looked strained.  The house was already emptied, so I headed to a CAT scale that was on my way to Sarasota.  Much to my shock, the truck weighed in at 6930 and the trailer 6900 lbs a total weight of 13830 lbs.  My GVWR is 11800 lbs and I am over by 2000 lbs or about 17%...  ack!!!

I had the mechanic at the CAT Scale adjust my hitch down one spot (1.5 inches)  and maxed my tire pressure and headed to Sarasota at 7 pm worried.  The trailer is rated for 7000 lbs and the truck is rated to tow 7200 lbs, but the total weight worried me a bunch.  

The trip rip to Sarasota was uneventful and on flat ground with no AC I have been managing 12 MPG.  I adjusted the hitch down another notch in Sarasota, a total change of 3 inches.  The front bottom of the trailer is now 11 inches off the ground and rear floor is 8.5 inches, I call that good.

So so far I have completed about 1400 miles and I am in west St. Louis. I am keeping my speed around 60 to 65 MPH and surprisingly, not much difference in mileage.  On the flat it works well, but not so much in the hills.  I am managing 60 MPH easily in hilly terrain, so far.   I am really glad I installed the OBD II wireless gauge and monitor on a Samsung tablet.  I have been monitoring my transmission temp and digital engine temp and so far, the engine has been steady at 190 F to 205 F, and the transmission surprisingly has stayed between 150 F and 175 F.

It is interesting to see the cruise control select between downshifting and more fuel.  On a hill it will accelerate and not downshift and you can watch the engine temp change from 195 up to 205 F, but if it downshifts and changes the engine rpm from 2700 to 4000 rpm, the engine temp is static, while the transmission temp rises 5 to 10 degrees F, the drops on the other side of the hill.  In regular hills and 94 F temps near Dothan Alabama the engine temp never broke 205 F and the transmission 175 F.  

Northwest Alabama was surprisingly remote and really awesome looking from the road. I hit the Rockies in two days, so wish me luck!

More to come...

D

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    Good luck Dan. Just be cool, you'll be fine. If everyone on the road was half as conscientious as you we'd save a mint on insurance.

I wouldn't use the cruise across the mountains. Shift the gears when your gut says to
     You'll know when.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,688 Senior Member
    Good luck for the rest of your journey.

I'd change all the fluids again after I got to my destination.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,678 Senior Member
    If your truck has a 'tow' mode, I would use the cruise in the mountings. The computer can do as good as anything.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Safe travels Dan.
    Sounds like you're doing great.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,235 Senior Member
    Good to hear your doing OK, stay safe. and keep us posted.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,870 Senior Member
    Safe travels Dan. Be careful going over the passes, especially at night.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,656 Senior Member
    Good luck and safe travels buddy!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    edited May 13 #9
    After you get to your new home, post pics of your travels fer us, please.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,128 Senior Member
    Stay safe
    I have a need for speed
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,018 Senior Member
    Safe travels! 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,020 Senior Member
    Godspeed sir!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #13
    Hey good luck. When you get to Oregon maybe you can hook up with Slanteyed Shooter. He lives out there somewhere. He has been gone while his wife was sick the last year. He was taking care of her. She passed away a couple months back. I look for him to come back here at some point. All that was rough on him, he really loved his wife. He's a great guy and would love to meet him in person. Anyway, just a thought. Have fun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,018 Senior Member
    Also enjoy the trip. It's a beautiful country! Not everyone gets a chance to drive all the way across it and take in the diversity of its wonders!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,356 Senior Member
    Safe travels! I’m just south of Cheyenne Wyoming...... 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    In Cheyenne tonight, leaving early for Ogden UT tomorrow.  The trip up to Cheyenne was easy.  The elevation change from 2000 ft to 6200 ft was a non issue and was a long gradual hill.  Tomorrow I cross the Rockies into Ogden and go over the pass.  

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Ain't that where folks got stranded and ate each other? Donner Pass?
    Oh, you are headed North before that route.
    There's some very cool museums in Cheyenne. From old firearms to old steam engine railroading.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,547 Senior Member
    Don't ride your brakes going downhill...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    Be safe.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,534 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Ain't that where folks got stranded and ate each other? Donner Pass?
    Donner pass is on I-80, I imagine he'll be on I-84 or 90 when he crosses the sierras
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Wow, you are moving right along!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,534 Senior Member
    Wow, you are moving right along!

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Staying in Ogden tonight in front of the Wasatch mountains.  I believe I 80 over the Rockies is easier than I 77 over the West Virgina mountains.  I worried a lot for nothing.  Let’s hope Ogden to Portland is as easy.
    Also, I have to say I am impressed with my little 1st gen Tundra. I am pulling 120% of the trucks weight and so far it has been a non issue.  I have been fortunte to have nearly perfect weather.
    From sea to shining sea.
    You bout got it knocked now. You going 84? 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,356 Senior Member
    Man so sorry I missed you, I had family in town from Montana. My niece graduated from college. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Man so sorry I missed you, I had family in town from Montana. My niece graduated from college. 
    That’s too bad.  Dan is good people.  Good luck on that last stretch!
    Spending the night in Pendleton, OR after driving from 6 AM to 4 PM, and just 200 miles to go.  The eastern Oregon mountains on I 84 have been the most challenging portion of the trip.  Big up and down grades, over 6 miles of a 6% down grade plus rain and lots of trucks .  Still, my little mule  handled it all well.  Still on east coast time, trying to transition, but up at 4 AM every day, driving by 6 AM.  Time to snooooooze.

D