The Secret Squirrel .22 project.

cpjcpj Senior MemberPosts: 37,938 Senior Member
Bolt is from a Springfield/Savage model 120. Trigger is from a 98 Mauser. Action is from a chunk of round stock that I made into a functional part. "Frame" is a chunk of alyoumeneuhm. 
Barrel? Beats me. My partner in crime got that as a blank. But it's 3/4 " diameter, and the chamber was reamed with a reamer of my design and making. Didn't know jack **** about that part, but got lucky.  
Theres LOTS of details that went into building this. None of which I'm typing out. Simply too much. All I can say is if i was charging myself for the time spent building, this would be a $3000 gun. But that's not the point, is it? 
Got a few minor things to do, but it's basically done. Hope to shoot it tomorrow. 

Ill get better pics tomorrow 
"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
Zee

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,870 Senior Member
    Pretty amazing if you ask me.  Well Done
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    I like it.
    Making it was the deal, but its a practical and useful gun.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    Congrats on seeing it to completion. Quite an accomplishment I would say.

Sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,534 Senior Member
    looks good :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,356 Senior Member
    Squirrel zapper De Lux!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,655 Senior Member
    Ok, that’s freaking cool!!!!! 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,802 Senior Member
    Nicely done, hey. So what is the next project?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    Looks as good as one of them Rugers to me.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,993 Senior Member
    You built a pistol. Not assembled a pile o parts. You built a pistol, from stock and it doesn’t even look cobbled. That is an accomplishment. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,734 Senior Member

You and Mike!

It's part Mauser, what's not to like??
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,439 Senior Member
    👍🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,938 Senior Member
    You built a pistol. Not assembled a pile o parts. You built a pistol, from stock and it doesn’t even look cobbled. That is an accomplishment. 
    ''Tis true. I built or modified almost each piece. 
    Mauser trigger? Severely modified. I HOPE it never fails. I really don't want to replicate it. 
    Action? Well, yeah. It was a chunk O steel. 
    Frame/stock/chassis? Was a rectangle. 
    Barrel had to be threaded, crowned, and chambered. 
    Bolt handle? Found out the hard way it was soldered in place. But got it bent and glued back together. Yes, glued. There's a bolt that also holds it, glue was just for good measure. 
    AR grip had the dingus removed. Not a fan of that grip, but due to the shape I made the frame, I'm stuck. 
    Fore end. Started out as a couple chunks o plywood glued together. 
    Basically the scope and rings are the only thing 100% stock or store bought. I even had to shave the scope base a fuzz. 
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,972 Senior Member
    Just tried to both enable him and get some more skills at the mill under his belt. Now he KNOWS he can do it! He's done really well on this one! Looking forward to what's next! :)
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

tennmike said:
    Just tried to both enable him and get some more skills at the mill under his belt. Now he KNOWS he can do it! He's done really well on this one! Looking forward to what's next! :)
    Thanks amigo. I enjoyed  building it. 
    And yeah, it was MIKES FAULT. 

It went like this here:

Mike:"If I give you a bag of parts and a drawing, would you want to..."

Chris "YES."

Zee
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,409 Senior Member
    That is amazing!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    Very impressive mate.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,688 Senior Member
    Quite the accomplishment, I'm impressed.

Gives new meaning to 'Homemade'  Animated French Oui Text animated emoticon

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,722 Senior Member
    Sweet. But how does it shoot?
    JKP said:
    Sweet. But how does it shoot?
    When I tried it a few weeks ago, it did this at 25. And that was with a grip that was flopping around like a fish. 

Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,547 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #21
    Da-yum! That's SA-WEET! Looks good, really good. I'd even say that it looks better than my Hi-Point good! No really, it looks great!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,050 Senior Member
    Very well done.  I like it.  Curious to see how it shoots now that you've got it pretty much finalized.

What do you think of the grip angle?  Looks a little too much to me, but that's just looking at the pics.  They do sell AR grips that are more vertical.  Seems like that might be a little easier to work on a rear bag....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    That is just plum awesome.  Only thing I would change is threading the barrel for a suppressor.

From the other thread,- you were looking st a 1911 grip.  Have you considered one of the Pearce grip frames that allows you to use 1911 grip panels?
    http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/AR15/PG-AR15

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    Very Nice
    Jay said:
    Very well done.  I like it.  Curious to see how it shoots now that you've got it pretty much finalized.

What do you think of the grip angle?  Looks a little too much to me, but that's just looking at the pics.  They do sell AR grips that are more vertical.  Seems like that might be a little easier to work on a rear bag....
    I ASSume the angle is the same as an AR. Because that's what I patterned it from. Not saying I didn't get it off angle, because that's entirely possible. 
    Why did I chose this grip? 
    It was on the shelf. 
    Also, any of the better grips are going to stand out like a sore pecker. My frame ain't made like an AR, and any of the cool grips ain't gonna work. 
    Now, is the angle good bad or otherwise? Haven't shot it yet. But in reality, it's a place to rest, and squeeze the trigger. I don't know that it will make a lot of difference. 

Zee
    edited May 14 #26
    That is just plum awesome.  Only thing I would change is threading the barrel for a suppressor.

From the other thread,- you were looking st a 1911 grip.  Have you considered one of the Pearce grip frames that allows you to use 1911 grip panels?
    http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/AR15/PG-AR15

You know that scene in Pulp Fiction where Marcellus Wallace sees Butch driving the Honda? 
    That's the level of surprise I have. 
    May not use that here, but it give me other ideas. 
    Zee
    Oh. And as far as threading, it may get it. If nothing else for a brake. Why? Because I can.  But that's gonna wait till final barrel length is determined. 
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,870 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Oh. And as far as threading, it may get it. If nothing else for a brake. Why? Because I can.  But that's gonna wait till final barrel length is determined. 
    If I remember correctly, it shot damn good just as it is.  Before taking anything off the barrel, I would do it maybe an inch at a time and STOP at the first sign of group degradation.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj said:
    Jay said:

I ASSume the angle is the same as an AR. Because that's what I patterned it from. Not saying I didn't get it off angle, because that's entirely possible. 
    Why did I chose this grip? 
    It was on the shelf. 
    Also, any of the better grips are going to stand out like a sore pecker. My frame ain't made like an AR, and any of the cool grips ain't gonna work. 
    Now, is the angle good bad or otherwise? Haven't shot it yet. But in reality, it's a place to rest, and squeeze the trigger. I don't know that it will make a lot of difference. 

It definitely looks like a standard AR grip angle.  Looks great.  Work with what you have.

If it works, it works.  If it ends up seeming like a bit much on the angle, there is what I was wondering about.  A steep angle AR grip.  Should bolt right up to a standard AR style mounting point, but give more of a vertical grip.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/b5-systems-23-grip-black.html
    edited May 14 #30
    But then, I can see where you would have to trim it to fit also....  :s  Maybe trim the tang area off, then blend and shape it to fit.
    Jay said:
    But then, I can see where you would have to trim it to fit also....  :s  Maybe trim the tang area off, then blend and shape it to fit.
    It would fit fine, it would just have a big dingus beaver tail looking thing hanging off the back. And, I'd wager the part I cut off might not be solid. My Magpul grip isn't solid. The ar receiver covers the holes in the grip. 
    This is/was ABSOLUTELY a learn as you go project. So....I'm learning as I'm going...
    Zee