electric hog caller

JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII MemberPosts: 150 Member
I am thinking of getting an electric game caller to call feral hogs. Can anyone advise me on one that works but doesn't cost too much?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,865 Senior Member
    FoxPro makes several models that will work...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,079 Senior Member

"SOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEE- - - - -PIG!- - - - -PIG!- - - - - -PIG!" 

Now, just make a good recording of that!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    I have the low end Fox Pro Inferno.  It comes with 75 pre-loaded calls.  A few of them are wild hogs.  I went online and downloaded a dozen and half free wild hog calls.  I was able to edit the names of the calls once I downloaded them so I could easily identify what the call is, such as "Sow Grunts with Piglets", "Large Bore squeals" and so on.  I was also able to reorganize the order of the calls as to how they show up on my remote controller.  I also downloaded and renamed a bunch of coyote calls.  One afternoon I was going through the list of calls that came with the caller.  I probably deleted a third of them knowing I would never use them.

It's a great caller, easy to use, not too expensive, great volume and easy to add, organize and delete calls.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    Let us know if they bring in the hogs.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    Mine works like a champ.  We have one stand called the SIde Rd as it divides the property between me and my neighbors ranch.  It's 490 yards long where it's level then goes up up 20' in elevation.  Sitting on the north stand we have a clear view of my neighbors food plot as well as the major hog crossing at the south end of the road and property line.  When we hear hogs off in the distance on my place or his or see hogs cross or come through his food plots we start calling.  I'd say seven or eight out of ten times they'll turn and come to the Side Rd feeder where we place the caller. The feeding calls and grunt and squeal calls work the best. I think the controller and speaker have a 500 yard range.  For coyotes it's awesome especially if you download more calls.  We got it last fall and have been saying why didn't we do this years ago.  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,991 Senior Member
    Thanks.

I've been interested in this for some time, but have not been a very active hunter for the last couple of years, mostly due to my family being too busy with school activities, and partly due to nagging health issues that have been improving, lately. If we are able to keep our hunting lease this year, I hope to be more active. We have 200 acres in a good location that was disrupted with pipeline construction and forestry activity for the past two years. It has come back some, to the extent that deer and hogs are crossing again on a couple of good game trails, but are still not spending enough time on our little patch to classify it as the 'good' lease it was before all the activity. If it becomes even better and I can get a more permanent option on the lease, I would like to put better blinds out, with an eye towards going after the hogs, too.

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Hand full of 50's in a beer joint will bring out the Hogs. lol later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Hand full of 50's in a beer joint will bring out the Hogs. lol later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.