Woman killed by pack of vicious dogs

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 12,644 Senior Member

Replies

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,053 Senior Member
    unfortunately when you have irresponsible animal owners you will get things like that.

where i live, many years ago, there were packs of dogs running loose and were attacking joggers.  AFAIK, no one was killed, but some were hurt.  

It took a while for them to be caught.  
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,569 Senior Member
    Need to ban all dogs!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Years ago there was a pack of feral dogs running a piece of property I owned....had me treed for an hour the first time I encountered them.....went back with a rifle...there was no second time...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,563 Senior Member
    Apparently, the dogs had an owner, and while they acted like feral dogs, they appeared (photos) to be well fed.  One was shot by cops, the others were rounded up and euthanized.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    Hmmm.  Now they're saying they might not be dachshunds. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,471 Senior Member
    Looking at the pics of the dogs remains after being put down, they dont resemble any Daschunds I have ever seen..................Look more like terrier/pitbull crosses
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    All dogs will get a pack like mentality even after being domesticated and going feral with others.........they had to shoot a bunch in Iraq in 03 because of that and other health concerns. It doesn't take long either for their behavior to revert to that.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    Pit bulls were bred to fight. Never know when they will attack.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I'd imagine the owner is in deep trouble.  One dog is fine, two dogs is OK, three dogs and more become a pack. They're a lot like humans, get them together and one bad act can trigger the pack mentality.  
    Which is why you have riots....and dog attacks.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Worst bite injury I've ever seen was from a Chihuahua.  Tore up my buddy's foot so fast he never knew what hit him until the blood started flowing freely.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,686 Senior Member
    Worst bite injury I've ever seen was from a Chihuahua.  Tore up my buddy's foot so fast he never knew what hit him until the blood started flowing freely.
    Then you haven't seen many. ...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,463 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #13
    Got a new neighbor behind the house. They let their dog out to bark at my nap time.

Im glad its not a pack.🐶

I'd complain, but Ive had so much worse in this third world 🚽 I don't want to kick a gift horse.😒
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    I love dogs.....but when they become dangerous, decisions must be made.  Dogs will bite from time to time, but an unprovoked vicious dog needs to be euthanized.  "He's always good for me!" Doesn't cut it. 
    I truly think people who think owning viscous dogs for non-protective reasons have issues.

jmho
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Then you haven't seen many. ...
    No, Ive been very lucky.  And I've been around a lot of dogs including many protection trained ones and a few that were considered beyond help..  This particular little dog tore up my friends foot so fast no one could believe it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member

Story has been edited.  They were not weiner dogs, but mixed breed dogs.  Some of the dogs appeared to be staffordshire terrier mixes. 

Any of the terrier breeds (including Chihuahua and Pit Bull) can go nuts in a pack, they are territorial, and once they get an idea in their little brains they will. Not. Let. It. Go.  Training is critical for terriers... especially ones that are 60-100 pound bundle of muscles and teeth.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Too many good dogs out there to put up with a bad one....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • dlddld Member Posts: 325 Member
    zorba said:
    Need to ban all dogs!
    zorba zorba zorba, ban all assault dogs their only purpose is to kill and make their owners - breeders liable :)  
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,996 Senior Member
    Every dog I encounter has exactly ONE chance to misbehave. If the owner can’t control the beast then it becomes coyote bait. 

It is a damn shame the owner of these dogs didn’t do a better job training them. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,990 Senior Member
    What Bullsi1911 said about terriers is true. But Chows and Collies are biters extraordinaire, too. Around my house and on the farm, my rules about dogs are simple. If one comes in the yard or approaches me in the fields or woods growling, showing its teeth with hackles raised it may get ONE warning shot depending on initial distance. If it leaves, fine; if it doesn't leave, fine. I have a place to take them. And they best not show up again with that attitude; NO SECOND CHANCES.

It's the owner's job to train and socialize their dogs to people and other dogs, not mine, and not the job of anyone else. And a dog or dogs chasing cattle, horses, chikkins, or other farm livestock are not long for this world out here in the country; they generally get the SSS treatment.

I LOVE a well behaved dog, but won't tolerate one that looks at me like I'm a meaty chew toy.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

bellcat said:
    I love dogs.....but when they become dangerous, decisions must be made.  Dogs will bite from time to time, but an unprovoked vicious dog needs to be euthanized.  "He's always good for me!" Doesn't cut it. 
    I truly think people who think owning viscous dogs for non-protective reasons have issues.

jmho
    I love friendly dogs that do funny things.  Civilized, foolish things you see on websites.  They're amusing and entertaining.  But pack dogs, not so much.  They revert to the wild side.  Not all dogs are created equal and in packs, they are too prone to revert to wild, hunting animals. Best in singles or pairs.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,871 Senior Member
    In my area, the prevailing breed would be "pitt-ish". Generally, folks have them as fashion accessories.  They look good with saggy drawers and face tattoos. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    edited May 19 #23
    Nothing says success like a face tattoo. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,871 Senior Member
     Truth. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin