Coward of Broward collecting $100k pension at 55

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,025 Senior Member
https://www.yahoo.com/news/parkland-deputy-failed-protect-school-101924255.html

Ok on this sort of issue I'm a bit more conservative, if states and cities want to deal with their budget problems, they really need to fix stuff like this!
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,316 Senior Member
    With any luck the parents of the kids will sue him & take that money away from him.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    An E-8 Master Sgt in the military with 30 years if he/she gets 75% at retirement of their base pay gets  $54,360 today.

A bird colonel 0-6 would get around $104,000.

That is a generous retirement for that cop.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,025 Senior Member
    Yeah they all game the system. I most places it goes based on last 5 years pay, so they load up on OT doing things like cowering in their cars supposedly watching schools to bump up their pay the last few years so they can get a huge retirement. Easy solution is to base retirement only on base pay so they can't game the system. Then gain you'll get screaming and crying from anyone and everyone on both sides of the political spectrum about how they spend their lives risking them to keep people safe and they deserve it.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    More proof you're a lib. 

You hate cops and their pensions.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    Never served, never been shot at.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,100 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    An E-8 Master Sgt in the military with 30 years if he/she gets 75% at retirement of their base pay gets  $54,360 today.

Yeah but chief, that's just money down you're talking about, kinda like a retirement bonus isn't it Don't they still get a pension on top of it? I'm talking about the Bird Col. and the E-8.

Maybe they're giving the Coward $100,000 one time payment which isn't a great amount for seeing that he's 55 years old and has a lot of years left to work. I mean if that's all he gets he will probably need to find another job.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    Big Chief said:

Yeah but chief, that's just money down you're talking about, kinda like a retirement bonus isn't it Don't they still get a pension on top of it? I'm talking about the Bird Col. and the E-8.

Maybe they're giving the Coward $100,000 one time payment which isn't a great amount for seeing that he's 55 years old and has a lot of years left to work. I mean if that's all he gets he will probably need to find another job.
    Nope collecting $8,700 a month for the rest of his life
    -DoctorWho
    edited May 17 #9
    shush said:
    Not even the top 10 most dangerous careers. Garbage man is more than twice as likely to be killed in the line of duty.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-for-men.html

-DoctorWho
    + Cost of Living increases...
    Overkill is underrated.
    snake284 said:
    Big Chief said:

Nope, military is based on base pay only, no retirement bonuses, no housing allowance, separate rations or jump/danger pay...............any of that.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    My retirement was 50% of my base pay at the time which was $3200 a month when I retired. Which gave me $1600 a month in retirement pay before taxes and any ins/allotments I had going out. It has gone up in very small COLA (yearly, sometimes) increments in the 22 years since I retired.

edited May 18 #13
    + Cost of Living increases...

Not only did he not die (a hero), he had the utter gall he stay alive and draw his pension.(+ Cost of Living increases...)

He really is a right bar steward.

I sense a bit of a theme here, it could be pensions.

Though I am not too sure about that, so I will check the facts first. before making a generalization.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

edited May 18 #14
    Uh, this is the deputy who stayed outside while the guy was inside shooting up a school. 

I have no problem with pensions. None. (Edited to add: as long as they're properly funded.) Just that this guy was allowed to retire and wasn't fired.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Uh, this is the deputy who stayed outside while the guy was inside shooting up a school. 

I have no problem with pensions. None. Just that this guy was allowed to retire and wasn't fired.

Oh, I see.

I am glad I was not more forthright.

edited May 18 #16

I have no problem with pensions. None. (Edited to add: as long as they're properly funded.) Just that this guy was allowed to retire and wasn't fired.
    Edited to your edited.

Looking back, I did have that sort of covered;

shush said:

I sense a bit of a theme here, it could be pensions.

Though I am not too sure about that, so I will check the facts first. before making a generalization.

I'm just clarifying my position if folks were wondering.  No ill will meant or taken. 

Yet.
    Overkill is underrated.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    shush said:
    Not even the top 10 most dangerous careers. Garbage man is more than twice as likely to be killed in the line of duty.

hey... I have had 4 of the top 10 most dangerous jobs!

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited May 18 #20
    shush said:

hey... I have had 4 of the top 10 most dangerous jobs!

Does that include being male model and a Moderator.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    So, that comes out to about $55 per hour for a 40 hour week. I wonder what it would have been if he had stayed to Social Security maturity age? Maybe cops have an earlier mandatory retirement - I don't know.

I wouldn't begrudge that to someone who actually did their job. Most certainly, such a high pension number assumes a good deal of risk-taking, in the line of duty. I sincerely hope that the surviving family of a KIA gets at least that much.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,211 Senior Member
    That data is based specifically on the number of deaths per 100,000 in various occupations. For instance they clump all aircraft pilots together so it looks like being an airline pilot is the third most dangerous job in the world. Fire fighters don't even get mentioned and that list makes it look like mowing lawns is more dangerous than being a fire fighter or cop and being an airline pilot is more dangerous than being an oil field worker. Presenting skewed data is Alpha's specialty.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    That data is based specifically on the number of deaths per 100,000 in various occupations. For instance they clump all aircraft pilots together so it looks like being an airline pilot is the third most dangerous job in the world. Fire fighters don't even get mentioned and that list makes it look like mowing lawns is more dangerous than being a fire fighter or cop and being an airline pilot is more dangerous than being an oil field worker. Presenting skewed data is Alpha's specialty.
    Per 100k people or whatever number is the correct way to look at the data. For the record fire fighter deaths were 69 out over 1.1 million fire fighters. Cops were 151 out of 900k. I think what you mean is Alpha is using data, and that data (reality) conflicts with your per-concieved notions so it must be wrong.
    -DoctorWho
    I'm saying data (factual data) can be arranged to justify a certain point or make circumstances appear a certain way. Like the pilot portion of your data, they pool all pilots together but show an image of airline pilots. I'm pretty sure that far more military, experimental, and small private aircraft pilots are killed in aircraft than airline pilots but your data doesn't differentiate between them. There is lots of data to support the fact that most vehicular accidents are caused by sober drivers and you would use this to argue that the data shows that drunks are safer drivers.
    Why wouldn't the potential for injury be factored into your data? People losing limbs, being crippled, or suffering permanent injury don't factor into your data at all. YOU may not think anything but death should be a factor but every insurance company on the planet uses a little more criteria than you do.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    All that data don't mean Jack if you are the unfortunate one that is turned into a statistic.

Like when they say flying in an airplane is XXXX times more safe than driving a car.............unless you are one of the passengers whose pucker factor goes into orbit as the plane crashes.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    httpstse1mmbingnetthidOIPqCaOpvdzWgHMtU-lWwGmywHaHapid151P0w300h300
    rberglof said:
    Again, those tables are based on fatalities and I, nor any insurance company, nor any factory, or oil field worker that has lost or had body parts crushed, or LEO, or soldier that has been shot or blown up, would base the hazard level of a job entirely on lethality.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,609 Senior Member
    I'm surprised, I didn't think Florida LE got paid that well. The way it's usually calculated is 50% of average base salary for last 2 years, plus any overtime, holiday pay and night differential for last year. That guy must have work a hellovalot of overtime.

I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
    edited May 19 #31

I'm surprised, I didn't think Florida LE got paid that well. The way it's usually calculated is 50% of average base salary for last 2 years, plus any overtime, holiday pay and night differential for last year. That guy must have work a hellovalot of overtime.

Florida Retirement System,  which Broward County uses, is 3% times number of years in service as your percentage, and using the average annual salary for your 5 highest years. That's for LE, firefighters, and other hazardous jobs. For others, it's 1.6% per year.

I don't know if Broward cuts the max rate off at a certain number of years.
    Overkill is underrated.