Blackbuck with a reduced load.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,143 Senior Member
Went out for pigs last night and ended up finding a Yellow Phase Blackbuck Antelope instead. They are an exotic species in TX and therefore, no season or regulations (other than possession of hunting license). 

It was rediculously dark!  I slowly stalked across the wheat field trying to gain ground with a shifting wind. At about 135 yards, he bedded down. 

As I inched closer, he stood up. But, I couldn’t see him well enough in the scope to chance a shot. And, he eventually bedded down again. So, I moved closer. Every few yards, he would stand up and look my way. Then, bed down again. 

By the time I got to 104 yards, I figured I was pushing my luck. He stood up again and I knelt down. Placing the rifle on a Bog Pod and assuming a kneeling position, I couldn’t see his body through the scope!!

All I could see was the “V” of his horns and what looked like his head. So, I lowered the reticle to what I assumed was his throat patch. Inhaled.......exhaled.....Respiratory Pause.......pressed the trigger. In recoil, I heard the bullet strike with a thump. Out of recoil, I couldn’t find him anywhere. 

After a few minute wait, I slowly walked forward to find him laying in the wheat......stone dead with a bullet through his neck. 

The 110gr Nosler Varmegeddon bullet from my reduced .308 Win load, struck him just under the jaw and just right of his esophagus as he looked at me. Severing his left carotid artery, it plowed through his spine, shattering bone, and came to rest under the hide on the back right side of his neck. 

Estimated impact velocity of 1,841 fps. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,143 Senior Member

Not my biggest Blackbuck, though my 4th. 

But, this is the only one I’ve taken with such rubbed horns!!  The boy has been busy!!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,179 Senior Member
    DRT for sure.  Are they good eating?  That is one fine looking set of horns!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,420 Senior Member
    Very nice...beautiful animal....looks like that load works. Always thought those bullets needed some higher velocities to perform thair best.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    DRT for sure.  Are they good eating?  That is one fine looking set of horns!
    They are EXCEPTIONAL eating!!!  Probably tied with Axis and Elk as my favorite meat. 
    Jayhawker said:
    Very nice...beautiful animal....looks like that load works. Always thought those bullets needed some higher velocities to perform thair best.
     It’s a Varmint  bullet so, higher velocity  causes it to Grenade. By slowing it down like I am, I am allowing it to penetrate deeper than it normally would. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,533 Senior Member
    WOW
    This message has been deleted
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    Excellent!!

How much did the projectile weigh when recovered?

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Haven’t weighed it yet. Gonna. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    WOW,  those are some exceptional looking horns, and great eating too?  
    You are truly blessed for the opportunity and skilled to be successful. Once again, well done
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,520 Senior Member
    I think that was almost all shot placement, and would have been a chancey lung shot.
    I am grateful. That’s my 4th free range Blackbuck in my lifetime. 

A rare blessing. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,251 Senior Member
    WOW!!!!! COLOR ME IMPRESSED
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,509 Senior Member
    Very nice, Zee!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,291 Senior Member
    Interesting how that bullet performed, very cool Science! post, be interesting to weigh that bullet for sure.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Glad you reminded me. 

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    Very nice!  More proof that a varmint bullet appropriately sent will kill big game.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited May 18 #21
    I think that was almost all shot placement, and would have been a chancey lung shot.
    I’ll have to disagree with you on that.  That is the second billet from this load that I’ve seen go through heavy bone (pig spine & Antelope neck). With less hard resistance, I think it will perform even better on a heart/lung shot. 

Why you think not?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,734 Senior Member
    Another clinic given by Zee... outstanding!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Zee said:
    I’ll have to disagree with you on that.  That is the second billet from this load that I’ve seen go through heavy bone (pig spine & Antelope neck). With less hard resistance, I think it will perform even better on a heart/lung shot. 

Why you think not?
    It's been my experience that bullets don't always fragment apart in a consistent and predictable way from one time to the next. Usually not a problem with bullets that have an adequate core. Likely also not a problem when delivered by an expert marksman. If it fragments at the surface before penetrating the lungs or achieves only partial penetration, an adrenalin charged deer could run along way before expiring.

Could be you have the velocity just right to keep the core solid after impact. Will there always be 51 grains left over to finish the job? 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,043 Senior Member
    I was gonna ask about the edibility as well, but that question has been answered in the affirmative. Congrats on a very clean kill - bang-flop.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Zee said:

Why you think not?
    It's been my experience that bullets don't always fragment apart in a consistent and predictable way from one time to the next. Usually not a problem with bullets that have an adequate core. Likely also not a problem when delivered by an expert marksman. If it fragments at the surface before penetrating the lungs or achieves only partial penetration, an adrenalin charged deer could run along way before expiring.

Could be you have the velocity just right to keep the core solid after impact. Will there always be 51 grains left over to finish the job? 
    I understand your concern. As they were mine and why I tested them before I let my boy use them on a deer this year. 
    I don’t have a crystal ball that works worth a damn. Unfortunately. But, after seeing the performance on heavy bone, I’m willing to chance that we are running an acceptable velocity to keep the bullet together.......enough.....that it will get to the goods on a broadside deer behind the shoulder within 150 yards (as far as I’ve rested). 

My HOPE.........is that I let him practice with this load this summer and that by fall...........I have him ready for a reduced 125gr SST load. 

That’s the plan. But, if I have to, I’ll let him roll with this load. It’s 2 for 2 so far. 
    If it does to the lungs what it did to the neck, it could gain steam as a popular reduced load for others.
    If it does to the lungs what it did to the neck, it could gain steam as a popular reduced load for others.
    I’m running it at .300 Blackout velocities and that bullet has good reviews when used on deer and pigs from a .300 Blackout. So, I’m not reinventing the wheel. Just doing what I’ve always said

You can make a .308 Winchester into a .300 Blackout. But........

Yoh can’t make a .300 Blackout into a .308 Winchester. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,382 Senior Member
    That makes sense.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    Very nice Zee, lighter coloring than I'm used to seeing on Black Bucks but look at those spirals...WOW!  We have a bunch on the high fence ranch behind us.  I love to watch them and would love to drop one and see how they taste!  Congrats!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Usually, the blond denotes a juvenile age. But, occasionally one will carry the Blond Phase into adulthood instead of turning to black. 

If you get a chance to take one......do so. They are a beautiful mount and tasty table fare. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,798 Senior Member
    110 grains going about 2000 fps. . .hmmmmm. . . 

My doctor said scratching the M1 Carbine itch would only lead to a rash, but hmmmmmmm. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee