Canada black bear .62 cal flintlock hunt success!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 6,862 Senior Member
edited May 19 in Hunting #1
On May 14th, I tagged this Spring sow at 12 yards with my TVM .62 cal (20 GA) flintlock smoothbore in Elk Lake, Ontario, Canada.  By law, non-resident hunters must use an outfitting service, and my Canadian friend, Chris, set us up with Trapper Mick's Bear Camp.  I can't say enough good things about Mick and his work  Our baits were freshened up every day.   We were also shown pics from the trail cameras by the bait sites daily, as well, to determine the best stands to sit based on current winds and activity.  Mick and his wife were excellent hosts, and the cabin we stayed in was perfect for our needs.  I can say with confidence that you should check him out on Facebook if you are looking for a Spring or Fall bear hunt.

Load data:
- .600" (~325 gr.) pure lead round ball
- 75 gr. Goex FFg authentic black powder
- .010" Ox-Yoke Originals Wonderlubed patch
- English flint 

She ran about 100 yards straight away at the shot and piled up nicely.  As is standard with traditional black powder arms, penetration was complete, but the blood trail was pretty sparse.  It was ample to find her, but you need to have a sharp eye during tracking to stay on the trail. 

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked with this gun.  That's two kills (one turkey/one bear) in one Spring with it.  As for the bear, she is one of only 25% of all black bears to sport a white chest patch on her beast, so I will be getting a shoulder mount.  By law, I have to send two pre-molars off to the Canadian government for age and DNA analysis, which should yield some cool data that they will send back to me.  

If you were wondering what a .600" lead ball does to a bear and its lungs...I learned that with a bear, you should NOT shoot tight to the shoulder like you would for a deer.  Rather, the target point to hit the front of the bear's lungs in "the middle of the middle", as their lungs sit further back in the rib cage than a deer hunter would expect.  About 4" back from the leg, splitting the distance between the leg and the last rib is where I was told to aim.  I had to put faith in the outfitter and Chris' experience on this one.  It felt odd to shoot that far back, but as you see from the lung hole, that hold point worked perfectly.  

Hunt video:

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    I hate you. No. Really. I do.

Nice bear btw.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,321 Senior Member
    Yogie will be a little ticked you shot BOUBOO
    Nice hunt there Mr. Boon

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,445 Senior Member
    Well done!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Nice, funny that your rifle looks about as long as the bear in that last pic.
    I've said it before, you are the hunter I wish I could have been. Congrats on another fine adventure.

Sako
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    It is one thing to see the fortune you have with getting on game, it is another to see the cool trophy's and experiences you have getting them, nicely done, that was a CLOSE encounter at 12 yds.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Nicely done Luis....pure class....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,470 Senior Member
    Just like the old timers.

Should have carved a tree with your name and killed a bar rite her.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,879 Senior Member
    Wow, sounds like your experience was exceptional all around. Thanks for sharing it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,471 Senior Member
    WOW!
    Congratulations on your success. You really make it hard for me to ignore getting a flintlock.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,973 Senior Member
    I've been impatiently waiting this story! Nicely done. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,862 Senior Member
    Much appreciated, guys!  This was definitely a memory for a lifetime.  Thank goodness the lock time on that gun is so fast.  You see how narrow of a window I had to shoot through those two trees in the video. Any delay in the ignition would’ve been a disaster.
    orchidman said:
    WOW!
    Congratulations on your success. You really make it hard for me to ignore getting a flintlock.
    The company thst made mine does international sales.  Just sayin’... :)
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,145 Senior Member
    WOW again
    I have a need for speed
    Thanks again, guys!  I’m finally on the plane and about to head home.  This was my first time clearing meat through customs.  It was not a hard process, but definitely budget a little extra time if you ever plan to bring some home across the border.  There’s about 30 minutes of additional paperwork and wait time for the agriculture section and gun clearance to work through on the way out of Canada.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    If Zee had a face!!:) That's just AWESOME!! 
    I posted this video for you a while back but you may have missed it, you were on the move.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=don+klien+video&view=detail&mid=F3B23F5934241C613EABF3B23F5934241C613EAB&FORM=VIRE

edited May 20 #17
    Big Al1 said:
    If Zee had a face!!:) That's just AWESOME!! 
    I posted this video for you a while back but you may have missed it, you were on the move.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=don+klien+video&view=detail&mid=F3B23F5934241C613EABF3B23F5934241C613EAB&FORM=VIRE

Al, that video and craftsmanship is outright amazing!!  He possesses a skill fee will ever know.

Oh, and as for Zee’s faceless flury of fauna, his stories have a flair all of their own, never to be duplicated.  He gets a lot of great info from his cartridge application and experimentation.  I just run around and shoot stuff :p
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    That's one way to get a bear rug!

Congrats, especially using a Flintlock.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    edited May 21 #19
    I hope you had your .41 Mag as a backup (allowed in Canada?) or your guide had something in case things went wrong.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited May 21 #20
    Big Chief said:
    I hope you had your .41 Mag as a backup (allowed in Canada?) or your guide had something in case things went wrong.
    In Canada, the average person may not own a handgun.  The outfitter has a permit to carry one by exception, but he isn’t with you when you actually hunt, so it’s on the hunter to defend himself if something goes wrong.  

More concerning is the fact that, by Ontario provincial game law, you have to have your gun unloaded and cased if it is before/after legal shooting time.  You literally have a club in your hands leaving the woods with multiple bears periodically passing through your area!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,133 Senior Member
      Congrats, my friend.  Please leave something for me. B)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Excellent!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    Congratulations Luis, once again!   You certainly have hunting with black powder down to a science.   Keep yer powder dry.......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,681 Senior Member
    Awesome hunt!  Thanks for sharing your stories brother.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    edited May 22 #25
    I appreciate the praise, guys.  But truthfully, this whole trip down Black Powder Lane is driven by a constant drive to learn and successfully employ new things related to hunting and shooting.  I always find myself looking for a new challenge.  This hunt was a great way to scratch that itch, but odds are good that I’ll be on to something new before you know it.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,470 Senior Member
    Or old.😄
    True!  New to me, I guess, would be a better descriptor.