Home Main Category General Firearms

SAVAGE M-29A

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 5,032 Senior Member
I have this old savage M-29A SN 60xxxL, I know it was made in Utica NY before WW2, Barrel is stamped .22 S,L, & LR. Anyone have any idea when it was made, I checked all my old books and an internet search but could find nothing.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Enzo, no letter stamp, according to Fjestad and what i found on the web, octagonal barrel checkered butt stock made in Utica should be pre WW2 , post WW2 round bbl. plain stock made in Mass. I dont know what i have, made in utica, checkered butt, and round bbl.

JAY
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    It's defiantly a 29A, interesting info, some 29A with the Octagonal had the receiver stamped 29 and the bbl. hand stamped with an "A" . I dont know the history of this gun, I bought it at a garage sale for $5.00 not working as a parts gun, when i cleaned it up it worked perfect . Is it passable this is a transition gun, where they had a new round bbl. and mated it with an older receiver and checkered but stock ? 

JAY
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    I've got a Model 29 (no A) with an octagonal bbl.  I put a peep tang sight on it.  It's a fine rifle.  Also have a Meridan of nearly the same design.  I don't know the history of the 29, but you can look it up.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.