Hmm, Current Tikka.

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 680 Senior Member
Never thought i would, the built to a price T3 has been a bug bear of mine, have owned M55 695/595/590 etc. After that i just bought sakos
 Wanting a bolt fast twist 223 I explored so many options and as Sako has no options for extended magazines and the and the A7
doesn't suit i looked at several other manufactures in my desperation not to purchase a T3 or variant,
However i can no longer ignore the growing reasonably priced after market support that now makes Tikka T3  probably  coming a close equivalent of the 700 [at least here] with a better chance of good accuracy.

Be all  that as it may I am now the owner of a fast twist Tikka t3x in 223, @ 1-8 .Simply the lite model as i figure it has a smaller hole in the barrel than the bigger calibers so should be ok to run bigger bullets slower without heating too fast.
I'm looking at changing, stock, bottom metal and increasing mag capacity, any advice welcome
cheers,
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Congrats.

NO clue on upgrades though
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    I didn’t realize Tikka had a 1-8” Twist. 

Wish i I had one now. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Next thing you will be moving to Auckland and sipping lattes............ :)

Congratulations on the new acquisition. I am sure you will be pleased with it.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    My Ruger ARs both have 1-8 twists.............not figured out if that is good or bad, but a compromise of sorts and it works fer me.

My bolt .223s have a 1-9 (700 BDL and Savage 12BVSS) and I believe my Mini 14 Ranch is the same.

Tikka is a brand with a good reputation, nothing to sneeze at.

Your reasoning to purchase a rifle and uses is much different than mine, hope it works good for you.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • dwfffandwfffan Member Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2 #6
    The Tikka .223 Varmint that I just got has a 1-8 twist. I wanted to be able to shoot 69 -77 gr SMK's and it shoots both really well. 

I am looking at Mountain Tactical for bottom metal or a MDT chassis for it.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    Woot!!

I must have missed the picture though...
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Don't see hardly any Tikka rifles in my neck of the woods, but I hear good things about them! Hope it 'scratches your itch' and works out well for the purposes you intend to put it to. 1:8 twist should sling some heavier bullets well.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    I have 3 Tikka T3 rifles (2 Lite Stainless, 1 Hunter) and have nothing but praise for them.  I wish I could help you with the aftermarket stuff, but I have liferally bever done anything but lower the factory trigger weight on mine.  Zero aftermarket parts on any of them, save for scope rings.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    Thanks all
    Ordered Friday I'll post photos when it arrives,should only be a day or two out.
    Long weekend here so would have been good to have it now.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    edited June 2 #11
    Congrats on your T3. I have a T3x CTR in 6.5 CM myself that I'm quite fond of.

See if the KRG Inc Bravo "chassis" can accomodate .223 magazines. That will solve your stock and bottom metal quagmire. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    Thanks all
    Ordered Friday I'll post photos when it arrives,should only be a day or two out.
    Long weekend here so would have been good to have it now.
    The waiting is the hardest part!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
    edited June 4 #13
    Ordered Forster ultra competition seater and redding full length resizing dies form Brownells today
    Even with shipping they are 80 NDZ cheaper than i can buy them here
    Also bought some Sierra 69Gr TMK's , thought i would try some middle of the road heavy bullets first,really would like the 77gr TMk's or similar to shoot well though
    Will have a rail put on rather than the Tikka Optilock rings and probably Burris Xtr signature though the Nightforce standard duty look good as well as the rail is 20 moa anyway

I  already have a Nightforce SHV F1 here  to put on and it will run one of these
    http://www.a-tec.no/rifle/a-tec-87-hertz
    or one of these
    http://www.dpt.co.nz/product.php?id_product=26
    I run the A-tec CMM-4 model on my 6.5 and it really performs well however DPT is a Local to New Zealand firm that I would like to support.

I'm seriously hoping this thing will shoot.

Thanks
    Wells it here, straight to the shop for barrel threading, 14/1
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    McMillan makes stocks for the T3. It'll cost you about what the rifle itself costs, however.  
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I have practically all my go fast bits
    scope , rings, rail, suppressor, it's been threaded as  commented above
    Time for a photo or two this coming weekend and then to shoot. 
    Look forward to the range report Owen.......I am sure you will not be disappointed
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,264 Senior Member
    Can’t wait to see finished product and accuracy results.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    edited July 1 #20
    Well finally got all my bits so there are some  photos at last.
    Hopefully, as i don't have alot of uploading luck here.
    In the box

Some go fast bits.
    A-Tec Modular Suppressor, 
    Leupy 30MM rings
    Waitaki Engineering rail
    Atlasworxs bolt handle replacement
    Nightforce SHV F1 4-15x50 MilR Reticle
    Going to try Sierra 69Gr TMKs and if they work going up to the 75gr Hornady ELD M.
    Have an extended length 6 shot magazine on order should get 2.6" internal 

And finally altogether, going to leave the barrel length as standard at the moment as it's more of a carry in but sit and shoot type
    Going to be for rabbits, Hares  naturally  but mainly intended to make a major dent in the local  wallaby population

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    There is much “unlike” directed towards you. 

😁
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Looks great ojr. I can see you making a dent in the pest/wallaby population with that rig.
    I belong to the school of thought that barrels should not be cut short when fitting a suppressor. Some say it should be shortened and I shake my head when I read proponents telling of cutting them back to 16".

All my suppressed rifles have standard length barrels.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,979 Senior Member
    Good looking rig there !
    I would say go get those wallaby s but I wouldn't know one if it was on my lap.
    At any rate good hunting.

@Old Ron
    The one lying down is the one to shoot.

Looks like a big rat. You skin them & eat them ? Use the leather ? Or just over run with them like some of the guys on here with hogs ?
    Thanks for the education .

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,991 Senior Member
    Nice! I had a M595 that had one of the smoothest actions I've ever operated. Shot pretty well too!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    looking good :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,023 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    @Old Ron
    The one lying down is the one to shoot.

Old Ron said:
    Looks like a big rat. You skin them & eat them ? Use the leather ? Or just over run with them like some of the guys on here with hogs ?

Old Ron said:

To me it looks more like a big rabbit with a long tail. But it really looks more like a Kangaroo of sorts which I think it really is. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited July 3 #29
    Probably is a breed of kangaroo . My dad has boots made of kangaroo really soft & nice leather. A kangaroo belt & holster with a matching knife sheath .......color me in I would buy the whole set . Then I would be talking to poet about a custom knife. Oh this could be a big project. There is your list OJR better start skinning & tanning those things !   lol
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    Tis' a wallaby.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited July 3 #31
    Yes Gentlemen , a wallaby,like a small kangaroo, though that one if you look at him weighs not far short of the 35kg wirehair.
     There is an abundance of them in steep country not too far from home, they compete with the sheep for food in places that are hard enough to farm anyway.
    Sometimes they get so out of hand despite constant shooting that the locals get a helicopter in and a professional shooter.
    Thanks for the kind comments on the rifle all.