Hmm, Current Tikka.

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    Yep, they do that here with hogs too. Ted Nugent has at least one video out of him machine gunning hogs from a chopper. And we're still overrun with them.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    There was a song in the 60s about a wallaby and one about a Kangaroo too. Tie me Kangaroo down boys Tie me kangaroo down, is how it went. that's all the words I remember. It was sung by an Aussie I think.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited July 3 #34
    Ojr you're in NZ? If so,  I didn't think Wallabys and Kangaroos were in NZ.
    Also, are Wallaby's and Kangaroos good to eat? I had to ask because I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Wallaby on the Barbi...
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Looks like a big rat. You skin them & eat them ? Use the leather ? Or just over run with them like some of the guys on here with hogs ?
    Thanks for the education .

Actually you pluck the fur, get someone to spin it into yarn and then knit yourself a nice warm..............Woolly Jumper!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    Hey Snake
    Yip in New Zealand, i have eaten several wallaby over the years, nothing wrong with it.
    back steaks are good done as back steaks are not matter the animal, the hind legs can be a bit tough but boned and  in a slow cooked stew especially the 2nd heating are very good
    I even roasted a leg once, must confess that didn't go that well.

To be honest though , this day and the age i am and the country they live in most are left as they drop, there always another.

As orchid man says fur is good, wallaby skins especially winter ones come up well  and I've heard of folk, but have't done it myself, skinning the tail and cut up used it in soup

Rolf Harris was the Name of the guy your thinking bout. Australian though, 'nough said ay

No Kangaroos in NZ just wallaby.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,974 Senior Member
    So you don't skin & tan the hides ? Sounds like it would be a do in a pinch food & uses. While growing up we had a bounty of fifty cents on fox here. We had to turn in the ears to collect the money. Not a bad side income for a kid. They should do that there & it would cut the things down quick. That way you could buy bullets for that really nice rig you have set up there. And have fun too. Could make Wallaby jerky. Everyone like jerky.
    edited July 5 #38
    This is the country Old Ron, at my age now I honestly can't be bothered climbing down and  carrying a Wallaby or parts of back up  to the truck.
    I shoot out to 6-700 with the 6.5 and the idea of the fast twist 223 is I can use it in tandem out to 300 or so .
    The youngster in the photo is not me. Wish it was.I'm behind the camera.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,974 Senior Member
    I see what you mean there. Looks like a flat spot is tough to come by. Send the youngster ! lol
    If you only took skins & the good meat he could put it on a drag sled. Trying to help ya get this leather business going . lol All kidding aside I wounder what the quality of that leather would be. It might be worth looking into. I am always looking for ways to make a few extra bucks.

edited July 8 #40
    Here is a coupe of live ones for those that haven't seen them before.
    If you click the image it should get bigger.

2»