Future 10/22 project

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 22,966 Senior Member
Decided to try something completely different. Ordered an 80% 10/22 receiver, drilling jigs, and a CNC machined complete bolt. I'll be buying the other parts as they come on sale, like the trigger group, barrel, and stock. This will be one of my 'this coming winter' projects so it won't be completed for a while. Why did I get a RED receiver? Because it was the only one in stock at the time. Color doesn't matter, anyway; it's the end product that I'm working for, anyway. Here's a couple of pictures.

(The file failed to upload.)
Well, the dog crap forum software won't let me upload a 601x451 image. Gets to 97% upload and then takes an explosive diarrhea dump. You'll just have to look up 80% 10/22 receivers.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,933 Senior Member
    Email me the pics and I’ll post them. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    Is your build in need of a standard carbine barrel?  If so, send me a DM.  I’ll donate it to the cause.  

It is new - I replaced it with a threaded barrel.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,966 Senior Member
    Is your build in need of a standard carbine barrel?  If so, send me a DM.  I’ll donate it to the cause.  

It is new - I replaced it with a threaded barrel.

I'll most likely be going with a Green Mountain SS fluted bull barrel. I have a couple of carbine barrels already. Thanks for the offer, though!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,683 Senior Member
    I dunno what your plans are fer a trigger, but I'd buy one of their BX triggers for it. I just saw them on sale for 50 something bucks.

Heck its the whole module included.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    I dunno what your plans are fer a trigger, but I'd buy one of their BX triggers for it. I just saw them on sale for 50 something bucks.

Danged enabler! :D I ordered one. :)

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,683 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Big Chief said:

Danged enabler! :D I ordered one. :)
    Hey even a half blind ole gun nut like me can find a blind squirrel once and a while or something like that.

If I ever buy another 10/22 that will be the 2nd thing I order after the rifle. Then a couple of them OEM 25 rd mags for it.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The only plus is that is a complete housing, which Mike needs. It sucks that it’s plastic. But, they all are now. 
    As far as that being an upgraded trigger, I think not. It’s what Ruger SHOULD be putting in all of their guns. 
    Zee
    I think my problem with picture uploading is a direct result of Verizon wireless 4G coverage here sucking like a Hoover with a 1 zillion cfm supercharger. I gots two bars like normal, but uploading is a crapshoot. Text is sorta O.K. but a picture is just too much, even a 400-something x 300-something resized photo. Maybe if I make it postage stamp size it will upload. :D
    I can't wait for those 'self driving smart cars' to come through here; I'll make a freakin' fortune pulling them out of the ditches, and making them pay for tearing down the fences! :D

BTW, CPJ, I can't upload the freakin' resized pictures to E-mail, either. The freakin' thing takes too long and times out.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,525 Senior Member
    Sound good Mike,
    HOPEFULLY you'll be done with it within the next 51 weeks ;)

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The 10/22 receiver work should go fast. After that, it's just putting the Tinker Toy parts together. The .22 muzzleloader is going to take a bit more time. And I gotta get that mess in the shop cleaned out this summer, among other humongous jobs that are waiting.

Hey, CrisPy Jay, I finally got the photo uploaded to E-mail. In other words, 'You've got mail!' :D

Finally got the photos to upload. Had to do it differently to make it work, though.

Well, ain't that some crap! I can't use the 'Browse' picture thingy to upload a photo, BUT I can click on that icon, and then drag and drop a picture from my picture file in the reply window and it loads.
    If I try to 'right click' and paste a URL in the 'Image URL' box the danged thing disappears. There is one HUGE glitch in the software on the Forum regarding uploading photos.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,525 Senior Member
    Looking good sir <3 <3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I was staring at the back of my eyelids when I got the email. Looos like you got it figured out. 
    Zee
    Since the receiver is RED, I'm looking at getting a RED laminate stock for it. Boyd's and Tactical Solutions have similar offerings. I DO NOT WANT a 'barracuda' style stock; I want one that performs well off the bench and bags. I like what Boyd's offers in that respect, but other opinions welcome. Wood only, no composite stocks.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    If you go to rimfirecentral dot com, they will send you a jig to drill a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver.  You just have to ship it to the next guy in line.
    That would/could be handy.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have one of those jigs if anyone wants to borrow it. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I've been using bore guides made of nylon rod I make on the lathe for my rifles that can't be easily cleaned from the breech end. The entrance hole is sized for the cleaning rod and keeps the cleaning rod from contacting the rifling at the crown.

With .22 rimfires, I've mostly just used a Boresnake pulled through from the breech to the muzzle. .22s don't get fouled nearly as bad as their centerfire big brothers.

I’ve gone to a patchworm for .22s. Look them up. better than a note snake imo, since you can change patches rather than drag dirt through the bore and have to wash it. They are cheap, even cheaper if you have some weed eater line and a cigarette lighter. 
    Zee
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,107 Senior Member
    I like the red.
    I like the red.
    Boyd's has a red laminate stock for the 10/22 that is growing on me. You can specify length of pull and recoil pad type, too.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,202 Senior Member
    Interesting project....bench rest gun? dedicated plinker? varmint rifle?

Always wondered if those unfinished receivers are serializaed...if not, is there a legal requirement to engrave any serial number? if so, it's an assigned S/N or what?
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,197 Senior Member
    Send that trigger to brimstone and you will have the best 10/22 trigger there is.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Antonio said:
    Interesting project....bench rest gun? dedicated plinker? varmint rifle?

Always wondered if those unfinished receivers are serializaed...if not, is there a legal requirement to engrave any serial number? if so, it's an assigned S/N or what?
    No real, specific, dedicated use. It's just another project to do this winter to keep me out of trouble. Idle hands and an overactive mind kind of thing! :D I already have ONE heavy barrel 10/22 but it doesn't get used a lot. It has a fast twist barrel to shoot heavier bullets better, and it does that, and shoots lighter bullets well, too.

I ordered a Green Mountain SS .920 20" fluted barrel today. So I'm down to just needing a few more parts to have the whole package of parts needed, like a complete bolt handle and an extended mag release.

SOME Extended mag releases are WAY over rated and mostly in the way. I tapped my original (older style flush mount ) 1/4-20 and installed a hex head cap screw. Makes it easy enough to operate, yet not hang on everything. 
    Zee
    Brownell's is the devil! I just ordered the rest of the parts from them for completing the receiver. The extended mag release is one of the shorter ones that doesn't protrude like crazy, but is an improvement over the stock one.

Now I need to decide on the stock. Gotta be wood. That Boyd's red laminate is looking better every time I look at it.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,107 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

Now I need to decide on the stock. Gotta be wood. That Boyd's red laminate is looking better every time I look at it.

Get it. It's sharp.