Future 10/22 project

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,535 Senior Member
    Antonio said:

Always wondered if those unfinished receivers are serializaed...if not, is there a legal requirement to engrave any serial number?
    NO, and NO.

It is perfectly legal, in this country, to make your own firearm.
    The laws require that you must do the work yourself, and you can't sell it. However it can be given as a gift. First guy I ever knew that finished an 80% 10/22 receiver built it for his child as a birthday or Christmas gift, and he published the letter he got from BATF saying that making it as a gift for his child was perfectly legal.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,972 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    Interesting project....bench rest gun? dedicated plinker? varmint rifle?

Always wondered if those unfinished receivers are serializaed...if not, is there a legal requirement to engrave any serial number? if so, it's an assigned S/N or what?
    No legal requirement to put a serial number on it, and it has none now. You'd be surprised at how many firearms are out in circulation here in the U.S that don't have a serial number on them. As best as I can remember, making serial numbers mandatory by law for firearms manufactured by gun manufacturers only became law with the Gun Control Act of 1968. And there is no requirement for serial numbers on firearms of legal configuration built by an individual for their own use.

Antonio, are gun laws are a bit hard to navigate. A lot of it makes no sense, but then, a LOT of what governments do makes no sense!

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    Thanks for explaining this. According to local law, and specially according to those in charge of enforcing it, even to add a scope or change a stock a legal gun owner should ask local "BATF" for an authorization...go figure! Of course nobody does but there's that Damocle's sword always hanging above our heads.
    Making your own firearm by purchasing an unfinished receiver? Opium dreams here!

Scope for this 10/22? Would it be worthwhile to find a stripped aluminum trigger guard to replace the plastic one? Would like to do that with my 10/22 TD although the original plastic one seems pretty sturdy so far, so not a priority.
    The plastic trigger guard will most likely be more than sufficient for this one as it will not be seeing hard use. It will in all likelihood be a bench queen and never see the woods.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,535 Senior Member
    2) The trigger costs ...
    $270
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Crying with Laughter animated emoticon  How about........................................................No......................... I already got the trigger, and with the package from Brownell's today, I have everything to build it, except for the stock. I'll buy the stock when I've got the machining on the receiver done this winter.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Crying with Laughter animated emoticon  How about........................................................No......................... I already got the trigger, and with the package from Brownell's today, I have everything to build it, except for the stock. I'll buy the stock when I've got the machining on the receiver done this winter.
    I thought that you would enjoy it.  After posting it, I spotted a report that McMillan was going to be offering fiberglass stocks for 10/22’s starting over $300 and going up.

Personally, I like my Stock.  I think I paid less than $100 for it from Cousineau Wood Products.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,548 Senior Member
    That's a nice lookin' stock.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    That's a nice looking stock! MUCH better than tupperware or fiberglass!

2»