Culling Deer - Depredation Tags

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,785 Senior Member
A farmer friend of mine that I thin pigs for has been getting hammered by deer as well. So, he applied for Depredation Permits from the the Parks & Wildlife Department and listed me as a shooter. 

It’s a pretty thorough ordeal to cull deer on a Depredation Permit. Unlike pigs which can be shot with “reckless abandon”, all the deer have to be tagged, documented, processed, and the name/address of the shooter/processor/recipient recorded on a log.  But, they can be culled year round and at night (neither of which is legal under standard hunting laws). 

Only shooters whose information has been submitted and approved by P&W may participate and there are two pages of steps/measures/rules that must be adhered to in the act of culling. Holy crap!!

But damn!!  It’s fun.

The farmer called the Food Bank in the nearest largest city and told them we would be culling deer. They dropped off a refrigerator truck for us to store the deer in and returned the next day to retrieve the truck. All the meat to be processed and delivered to folks in need. 

Win/Win!

In a couple hours, we culled 13 deer. Gutted, removed the trachea, tagged, and loaded in the refer truck. 

8 does and 5 bucks were taken and every doe was carrying. 

So really, we are saving the farmer from future damage as well. 

We would select, cull, gut, tag, load, and repeat until the ATV was full. Load them in the refer truck and go back out.

This was but a drop in the bucket of all the deer we saw. But, considering the need to recover edible carcasses, we couldn’t just slay away. Still, it was fun. And he has unlimited permits that are good for a year. 

I’m gonna be busy. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,999 Senior Member
    Kind of ironic that the farmer providing us with food, provided others with food well protecting said food.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,873 Senior Member
    edited June 3 #3
    DAY-UM, that's a bunch of deer
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,091 Senior Member
    I bet you gutting time would make a butcher proud after all your practice. Any Science! come to mind since you are going to be busy?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,785 Senior Member
    edited June 3 #5
    Science kind of takes a back seat to results and efficiency. 

Especially with the heat. And numbers. I mean, the deer is likely gutted and in the ATV inside 2 minutes. 
    While it may damage some meat in the end, I am going for high shoulder shots in order to drop them on the spot. That or head shots if they are close.

They are mostly standing in tall cotton/beans/wheat. So, if they run and fall, it can be hard to find them. Dropping them on the spot is preferred. Easier to find. 
    I noticed where you made the holes, you must have something you wish to test on your reloading shelf there hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Shots were 100 to 500 yards. So, whatever it is, has to be able to cover the gamut. 
    What gun are you using, which load, and which scope please.
    Bolt action .308 Win and a Leupold Mark 6 Scope. 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,281 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Win/Win!
    ...unless you are a deer. Then things kind of suck.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,293 Senior Member
    Good they can be used, the last time I read anything about that here in NC, the deer had to be let lay. Stupid, hey.
    This message has been deleted
    edited June 3 #13
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Zee said:
    Yeah, you kind of "did" the .308 Science! thing, carry on. You Suck! for getting to hunt deer in June.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,174 Senior Member
    edited June 3 #15
    NN said:
    Good they can be used, the last time I read anything about that here in NC, the deer had to be let lay. Stupid, hey.
    It used to be that way here. A farmer who was having crop damage  or damage to his garden, due to deer could shoot them but he couldn't retrieve them, just let them lay (and I think he was supposed to call the warden when he shot some). But these days with all the management techniques in use things are different and this is definitely a management tool. Besides, back in the day, that was just kind of an informal thing, shoot em and let em lie  But like Zee said, it's kind of a PITA now because they've got a strict procedure with paper work. If they didn't do it like that people would be abusing hell out of it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I can understand the need for accurate information to manage the deer. I don't understand why the absence of requested accurate information about pigs. It seems like need for management of pigs is imperative for local agriculture. Maybe the scope of the problem makes data collection superfluous.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,281 Senior Member
    I can understand the need for accurate information to manage the deer. I don't understand why the absence of requested accurate information about pigs. It seems like need for management of pigs is imperative for local agriculture. Maybe the scope of the problem makes data collection superfluous.
    Deer are a resource that needs management to maintain a decent herd. Pigs? Those are an invasive species so there isn't any real management plan other than to kill them all.
    Makes sense👍
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,738 Senior Member
    Kind of ironic that the farmer providing us with food, provided others with food well protecting said food.
    "Dear Vegans,
    I caught this joker stealing your food.  You're welcome"

That's got to be awesome fun when you have the equipment.  When I've done my Zero-Dark-Thirty sneak-ins to be in position before legal shoot time, I've seen deer eyes - and ONLY their eyes - reflecting the LED hat light I use to keep from breaking a leg on deadfall, and I've heard them stomping and snuffling around near my hide while I'm sitting in pitch black for the sun to come up.  It can all get kinda creepy, when you start thinking about the aftermath of a mountain lion kill you found in the area, being turned into Bigfoot's play toy, etc... Until you get the battery-powered whizbangs, it's their backyard, not yours.

Super cool that your area has a system operating in which the food bank sends the "hearse", and they're good with you performing nothing more than a tidy field strip.  Can't even imagine such a thing around here.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    The rules are crazy. But, needed to keep folks honest. 

I have to notify the Wardens 4-24 hours in advance prior to culling to “Activate” the tags. Basically, let them know I’m doing it so if they get calls of a “poacher” they can say, “Yeah, we know.”

Also, any buck taken with horns longer than 2”, the antlers must be cut off 2” above the head and destroyed in a certain way as dictated in the list of rules. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:
    Yeah, you kind of "did" the .308 Science! thing, carry on. You Suck! for getting to hunt deer in June.
    Yeah. Kinda boring. But, it works. 
    Zee said:
    Yeah. Kinda boring. But, it works. 
    Hey, if it's boring, but works, it ain't boring :p
    it's "effective" ;)

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,174 Senior Member
    edited June 3 #23
    I can understand the need for accurate information to manage the deer. I don't understand why the absence of
    accurate information about pigs. It seems like need for management of pigs is imperative for local agriculture. Maybe the scope of the problem makes data collection superfluous.
    See Jerm's Post above.

Being that there's no active management of hogs, there's no records kept on them for the purpose of management. If they could, Parks and Wildlife would eradicate them all, make em extinct. Big difference in that and trying to manage a species numbers in a range where there's healthy of them but no more than the land they're on can carry without damaging the biosphere.

That's the biggest reason for managing various species of game, to allow them to propagate to a point where their numbers are healthy and high enough to where they can enjoy a balanced existence and provide recreation to the populace but where they don't damage the land.Preventing damage to the land due to over population where it won't support a healthy number of a species is a primary goal of management. That fact is huge for us hunters. Without that reason the bunny huggers may have had hunting outlawed years ago. Heaven knows they've been trying anyway.

Something many people don't realize is that when animals over populate a piece of land for any period they damage the bio or carrying capacity of that land to the point it will not support the numbers of animals it did before it was over populated.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I was kind of thinking they might want to keep some sort count on how many hogs were decimating the area. Jerm's post makes sense in that game management and not agricultural protection is the primary agency objective.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,087 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    "Dear Vegans,
    I caught this joker stealing your food.  You're welcome"

That's got to be awesome fun when you have the equipment.  When I've done my Zero-Dark-Thirty sneak-ins to be in position before legal shoot time, I've seen deer eyes - and ONLY their eyes - reflecting the LED hat light I use to keep from breaking a leg on deadfall, and I've heard them stomping and snuffling around near my hide while I'm sitting in pitch black for the sun to come up.  It can all get kinda creepy, when you start thinking about the aftermath of a mountain lion kill you found in the area, being turned into Bigfoot's play toy, etc... Until you get the battery-powered whizbangs, it's their backyard, not yours.

Super cool that your area has a system operating in which the food bank sends the "hearse", and they're good with you performing nothing more than a tidy field strip.  Can't even imagine such a thing around here.
    In California I imagine shooting a pregnant doe would get you at least a couple years time.

@Zee ; I was told a long time ago that the meat from a pregnant doe was unfit to eat.  This post is making me think I was told some bad info.  Have you tried it?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Yes. 
    I’ve eaten pregnant Axis deer and pigs before. No problem what so ever. Don’t know why a whitetail would be any different. 

Its probably a wives tale to keep people from shooting deer in the spring/summer. 
    THANKS

Seems another wives tale put to rest

Forum Mythbuster you are
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited June 4 #28
    Come to think of it, I’ve culled a whitetail for at the end of February on MLd Tags that was pregnant. Albeit a small fawn at that stage. But, pregnant none the less. 

She ate up fine. 
    edited June 4 #29
    Went out to cull a couple deer this evening. Missed an opportunity at a doe and a smaller buck while setting up along a fence line. Bugs and heat were atrocious!!!  Getting eaten alive by gnats and skeeters....a buck finally jumped the fence about 100 yards in front of me. Walked out into the beans and stopped. 

Put a 165gr Sierra HPBT-GK through his shoulder. Ran a tight circle, stopped, and fell over dead. 

Being stupid hot and the sun just setting. I tagged him, loaded him up, and drove over to the trash pit to gut him. 

As per the rather strict Depredation rules, I had to destroy what little horns he had by cutting them up. 

I still had had to fill out the log book and quarter him up and put on ice quickly. I wasn’t in the mood to go back out and get another one in these conditions. 

So, I just delivered him to a friend and went home. 
    Sounds like your summer has set in just like here. Woke up at 0500 and it was already 83 this morning. With a feeks like 90.
    Good tbing they have been DRT and you have a reefer van.
    Only have the refer truck if we call the food bank in advance and intend to provide 5+ deer for them. Then, they pick it up the next day. 

Last night, I was on my own with a cooler and ice.