Did you draw/Get any tags?

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    edited June 26 #32
    Just found out this past week that, after stashing some points over the past few years, I got drawn for Iowa archery on my very first application.  There is an abundance of quality deer in that state, both bucks and does, and I have plenty of archery experience after my stint in Ohio to feel confident in getting it done.  To say I'm excited would be putting it mildly.

The plan is to hunt a mix of my buddy's property over there and some quality public land as the season allows.  As a non-resident, that means I will have one whitetail doe and another either-sex whitetail tag for this coming Fall.  It should make for a great time.

I also put in for a doe tag in the South Dakota Black Hills unit.  Results for that will be a while, but it should be a sure draw barring a major application surge.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,235 Senior Member

Nice! Sounds like it'll be a fun hunt and a good chance to put some meat in the freezer. 

I'm starting to get the bug worse and worse.  Just counting down till fall.  Between dove in September, quail starting in October and the deer hunt in November, I'm looking forward to getting out and having some fun.  I also just realized, quail season will overlap my deer hunt and I've seen a good amount of quail not far from where I'll be hunting deer.  Guess I'll be taking a shotgun and a centerfire gun out. Maybe hunt deer in the morning, then lunch and some quail hunting down the road, then back to the deer in the afternoon.

Muzzleloader cow, bear rifle,  doe antelope rifle,  2nd season buck (2nd choice. Need them points!!) Montana buck tag, put in for the muley doe tag and will likely buy the otc whitetail tag in August.  

Gonna be a busy fall!

Definitely sounds like you'll be busy.  But that's the fun kind of busy..
    Montana B license/mule deer doe tags results just dropped, and I drew.  That makes for two deer tags (one mulie doe and one whitetail doe) that I'll be able to hunt up there this year.  A turkey and/or some grouse will just be a nice bonus if the stars align for another opportunity.
    Six-Gun said:
    Montana B license/mule deer doe tags results just dropped, and I drew.  That makes for two deer tags (one mulie doe and one whitetail doe) that I'll be able to hunt up there this year.  A turkey and/or some grouse will just be a nice bonus if the stars align for another opportunity.
    Awesome. Good luck. I did love to hunt in Montana one of these days. 
    Thanks, Jay.  Montana is a state with even a little bit of research, you can devise a quality hunt, even with a general/non-limited license.  Airline prices can vary greatly based on routing and depending on which airport you choose if you plan to fly in, so plan accordingly.  Hotel and rental cars book fast after draw results are posted, so I would make these even before the draw results come out and cancel them if you don't get a tag.  Call the local biologist and figure out the best areas within that locality to start looking.  Buy OnX software for your phone so you can discern public from private land and you should be off and running.  
    Six-Gun said:
    Thanks, Jay.  Montana is a state with even a little bit of research, you can devise a quality hunt, even with a general/non-limited license.  Airline prices can vary greatly based on routing and depending on which airport you choose if you plan to fly in, so plan accordingly.  Hotel and rental cars book fast after draw results are posted, so I would make these even before the draw results come out and cancel them if you don't get a tag.  Call the local biologist and figure out the best areas within that locality to start looking.  Buy OnX software for your phone so you can discern public from private land and you should be off and running.  
    Awesome.  Thanks for the pointers.  Might be a few years before I'll get around to that, but would definitely like to on day.  My son will turn 21 in just over 2 years and his birthday falls pretty much right in hunting season.  Might look at doing it with him for his 21st birthday.  I appreciate the ideas.  
    No problem, Jay.  When the time comes and you want to go, shoot me a PM.  I'll do my best to get you steered in the right direction.
    I appreciate that, bud. I’ll take you up on that. 👍
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    Good luck. Post pics!

Will do.

cpj said:
    Thankful, I buy the tags I want. No drawing for MOST things here.  The only draws we have are for managed hunts in certain areas, typically  where the people population and deer population aren’t mixing well. Some are just areas that are over populated. 

Years ago in New Mexico, deer and turkey tags where over the counter.  Only stuff like elk and oryx were draw.  Now, everything except small game is draw in a lottery type system.  Kinda makes it a pain trying to plan hunts with multiple hunters.  You can attach applications to others to help you draw the same hunts.  But since I'm not doing the same thing as my dad and buddies, we have to enter separate.  That being the case, we now collectively have deer and elk hunts in 3 different areas of the state...
    I've seen this thread here for awhile but thought it was for Colorado or something. I thought you were from Texas and when I read it first, it threw me, because as you know in Texas most everything we hunt that requires a tag, the tag is on the hunting license.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    Good luck. Post pics!

Will do.

cpj said:
    Thankful, I buy the tags I want. No drawing for MOST things here.  The only draws we have are for managed hunts in certain areas, typically  where the people population and deer population aren’t mixing well. Some are just areas that are over populated. 

Years ago in New Mexico, deer and turkey tags where over the counter.  Only stuff like elk and oryx were draw.  Now, everything except small game is draw in a lottery type system.  Kinda makes it a pain trying to plan hunts with multiple hunters.  You can attach applications to others to help you draw the same hunts.  But since I'm not doing the same thing as my dad and buddies, we have to enter separate.  That being the case, we now collectively have deer and elk hunts in 3 different areas of the state...

Yea the near-total draw system here makes it a real pain to try and figure out what I plan to do each year. Balancing doing  special hunts by myself, trying to do hunts with family, or trying to find a time to fit in some hunting with our members here....just so stressful with not knowing whats when and where. Especially now that I'm racking up points again, I'm getting dangerously close to my timberline velvet buck rifle tag again (likely the last I'll ever do) and I need about 2-3 more years to be considering a real big elk during muzzle loader. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    snake284 said:
    Jay said:

Will do.

I've seen this thread here for awhile but thought it was for Colorado or something. I thought you were from Texas and when I read it first, it threw me, because as you know in Texas most everything we hunt that requires a tag, the tag is on the hunting license.
    I am originally from Texas.  But my residence is in New Mexico, so that's where I hunt.  Even when I lived in Texas, I spent the money for non resident hunting and fishing in New Mexico.  Lot more public land, plus elk hunting opportunities that Texas really doesn't have.
    Jay said:

Will do.

Yea the near-total draw system here makes it a real pain to try and figure out what I plan to do each year. Balancing doing  special hunts by myself, trying to do hunts with family, or trying to find a time to fit in some hunting with our members here....just so stressful with not knowing whats when and where. Especially now that I'm racking up points again, I'm getting dangerously close to my timberline velvet buck rifle tag again (likely the last I'll ever do) and I need about 2-3 more years to be considering a real big elk during muzzle loader. 
    It is a pain.  New Mexico lets you apply for three different hunts for each species.  For example, 3 hunts for deer, 3 hunts for elk, etc.  You only draw for one hunt each.  You can also add a 4th choice if you want to put in for a depredation hunt.  But you can't draw for a certain area you want to hunt.  Just have to be willing to go wherever you draw, if you draw.  So, when planning a hunt for multiple hunters, you have to get together and everyone decide what your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice hunts are going to be, everyone put the same thing on their application and attach all the applications together.  So, my dad and a buddy drew an area they've never hunted before, I drew a different area I've never hunted before, and they have their archery elk hunt in a totally different area, which we have hunted a lot before.  Just a pain trying to plan all the hunting trips together.  First world problems.....haha

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,603 Senior Member
    Hey OJR......

What are these guys talking about? Seasons. Tags. Points. Licenses. Draws............
    Was just planning which rifle to take out this weekend for a wander when I checked the hunting section and saw this.
    (Got a couple of properties where the owners want deer numbers reduced.)

Cant stay out too long though as BH and I have to process the 2 Fallow does shot a few days ago that are hanging in the chiller.

Think I like our system best. Buy a gun, go hunt.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I just turned in my 2nd season rifle buck tag. Montana is taking front seat. Plus, I'm going to try for the left over muzzle loader doe tag for my area. It would be great to be pretty much done with Colorado all in September this year!
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited August 2 #47
    South Dakota Black Hills doe tag results are in and I drew that tag, too.  The nice thing is there that the hunt overlaps my Montana hunt, and the two areas are only about 2.5 hours apart.  I can do a quick, 2-day hunt in South Dakota the weekend days before my Montana hunt goes active, and then head to the Montana hotel and be ready to start that next hunt on Monday.  

I should add that I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on an Alaska high-country hunt that was offered to me by an outfitter out that way.  As a non-resident, it will have to be guided and I had been doing some research accordingly.  Ended up coming across a small outfit in guide unit 1-D, and initial contact morphed into an offer that I can afford and that is coming up very quickly.  Reviews from his references were glowing and I could tell right away that the gentleman who owns the company (a 25-year Alaska master guide, verified by the state) knows his stuff very well.  

In the course of doing a mid-life review, I realized that at 41 years-old, some options available to a hunter have a shelf life because your legs aren't always going to be able to handle 55+ degree inclines with a loaded expedition pack on your back.  I'll post more details about this if I go through with it.  I don't want to jinx it.  
    I hope you know how much you suck....  ;)

Sounds like a plan that came together perfectly, all the way around.  The Montana and South Dakota hunts lined up perfectly, and maybe an Alaska on the way.  Sounds like it's going to be a very busy hunting year for you.  For now, I'll live vicariously through you... Look forward to seeing your reports as you go through these hunts..
    Thanks a lot, Jay.  It's shaping up to be a crazy year, for sure.  The outfitter just called, and his sister is ginning up the contract right now.  If all goes as planned, I'll be in the Alaska mountains at the end of September.  Stay tuned...
    Nice!  Sure sounds a lot better than my lineup this year..

Dove Sept. 1 - Oct 28
    Deer Nov 10 - 14
    Quail Nov 15 - Feb 15
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,003 Senior Member
    As I predicted, I drew nothing.  My friends with  7 points for deer struck out too, There have been more people putting in for tags in Wyoming than ever in history.  Big jump this year,  Oh well, it's fishing and grouse and rabbit hunting for me this year.
    Jay said:

Dove Sept. 1 - Oct 28
    Deer Nov 10 - 14
    Quail Nov 15 - Feb 15
    You kiddin?? Quail is awesome!  Deer is just a nice bonus in my book and dove is a great way to warm up for all of the other incoming bird seasons.
    As I predicted, I drew nothing.  My friends with  7 points for deer struck out too, There have been more people putting in for tags in Wyoming than ever in history.  Big jump this year,  Oh well, it's fishing and grouse and rabbit hunting for me this year.

The tag jump thing sounds a lot like Montana this year.  Lots of regulars who I hunt with suddenly didn't get drawn this year.  
    Six-Gun said:
    Jay said:

Dove Sept. 1 - Oct 28
    Deer Nov 10 - 14
    Quail Nov 15 - Feb 15
    You kiddin?? Quail is awesome!  Deer is just a nice bonus in my book and dove is a great way to warm up for all of the other incoming bird seasons.
    I can't disagree with you there.  I don't mind a full 3 month season, 15 bird per day limit on quail.  Almost 2 months on dove and also 15 birds per day.  I love hunting and eating both, for sure.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,638 Senior Member
    Jay said:

Dove Sept. 1 - Oct 28
    Deer Nov 10 - 14
    Quail Nov 15 - Feb 15
    Hard to find a dove field to hunt around here.  The state does a few but they cost $100/gun.

Quail have been nonexistant here for 30-40 yrs. However, I have heard some this year singing around the house.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    15 bird limit on quail? 
    Ive not seen 15 quail in the past 15 years! 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    I haven two coveys of about 15 birds each I see every day around my house. But, I don’t shoot they them. They are backup food for the apocalypse. Same with the rabbits. 

Homestly, I don’t recall every shooting 15 quail in one day before. Usually 6-10. Maybe a couple more if it was a really good day. But, it takes a lot of work to get that many. 
    cpj said:
    15 bird limit on quail? 
    Ive not seen 15 quail in the past 15 years! 
    You need to come up my way.  We've got some solid coveys - some well in excess of 40 birds - flushing on public land within an hour or two of my house (closer to your side of the border, for that matter).
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,866 Senior Member
    ELK: 1 bull, and two cow/calf
    Mule Deer
    Buck antelope with 2 doe tags
    Whitetail-leftover doe tags - I have one so far
    The elk and muley are what have me motivated this year.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Actually was able to fight through the crashing webpage and secured my leftover doe tag this morning.  So I'll be adding doe to my muzzleloader cow hunt in a month.  That should be an easy tag to fill.  
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,266 Senior Member

I purchased an OTC Montana whitetail doe tag to go along with the any species buck deer tag I drew earlier this year.  I figure it's better than waiting until I get there.

Already made arrangements to rent a camping trailer which I will pick up in Gillette, Wy.  Things are starting to take shape.  Now, I need to hit the range and get my .358 ready.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.