Did you draw/Get any tags?

2»

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    edited June 26 #32
    Just found out this past week that, after stashing some points over the past few years, I got drawn for Iowa archery on my very first application.  There is an abundance of quality deer in that state, both bucks and does, and I have plenty of archery experience after my stint in Ohio to feel confident in getting it done.  To say I'm excited would be putting it mildly.

The plan is to hunt a mix of my buddy's property over there and some quality public land as the season allows.  As a non-resident, that means I will have one whitetail doe and another either-sex whitetail tag for this coming Fall.  It should make for a great time.

I also put in for a doe tag in the South Dakota Black Hills unit.  Results for that will be a while, but it should be a sure draw barring a major application surge.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,940 Senior Member

Nice! Sounds like it'll be a fun hunt and a good chance to put some meat in the freezer. 

I'm starting to get the bug worse and worse.  Just counting down till fall.  Between dove in September, quail starting in October and the deer hunt in November, I'm looking forward to getting out and having some fun.  I also just realized, quail season will overlap my deer hunt and I've seen a good amount of quail not far from where I'll be hunting deer.  Guess I'll be taking a shotgun and a centerfire gun out. Maybe hunt deer in the morning, then lunch and some quail hunting down the road, then back to the deer in the afternoon.

Muzzleloader cow, bear rifle,  doe antelope rifle,  2nd season buck (2nd choice. Need them points!!) Montana buck tag, put in for the muley doe tag and will likely buy the otc whitetail tag in August.  

Gonna be a busy fall!

Definitely sounds like you'll be busy.  But that's the fun kind of busy..
    Montana B license/mule deer doe tags results just dropped, and I drew.  That makes for two deer tags (one mulie doe and one whitetail doe) that I'll be able to hunt up there this year.  A turkey and/or some grouse will just be a nice bonus if the stars align for another opportunity.
    Six-Gun said:
    Montana B license/mule deer doe tags results just dropped, and I drew.  That makes for two deer tags (one mulie doe and one whitetail doe) that I'll be able to hunt up there this year.  A turkey and/or some grouse will just be a nice bonus if the stars align for another opportunity.
    Awesome. Good luck. I did love to hunt in Montana one of these days. 
    Thanks, Jay.  Montana is a state with even a little bit of research, you can devise a quality hunt, even with a general/non-limited license.  Airline prices can vary greatly based on routing and depending on which airport you choose if you plan to fly in, so plan accordingly.  Hotel and rental cars book fast after draw results are posted, so I would make these even before the draw results come out and cancel them if you don't get a tag.  Call the local biologist and figure out the best areas within that locality to start looking.  Buy OnX software for your phone so you can discern public from private land and you should be off and running.  
    Six-Gun said:
    Thanks, Jay.  Montana is a state with even a little bit of research, you can devise a quality hunt, even with a general/non-limited license.  Airline prices can vary greatly based on routing and depending on which airport you choose if you plan to fly in, so plan accordingly.  Hotel and rental cars book fast after draw results are posted, so I would make these even before the draw results come out and cancel them if you don't get a tag.  Call the local biologist and figure out the best areas within that locality to start looking.  Buy OnX software for your phone so you can discern public from private land and you should be off and running.  
    Awesome.  Thanks for the pointers.  Might be a few years before I'll get around to that, but would definitely like to on day.  My son will turn 21 in just over 2 years and his birthday falls pretty much right in hunting season.  Might look at doing it with him for his 21st birthday.  I appreciate the ideas.  
    No problem, Jay.  When the time comes and you want to go, shoot me a PM.  I'll do my best to get you steered in the right direction.
2»