Boring/Drilling out M1 buttstock...

2»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

If you just gotta have holes in the stock, bring it the next time you visit and we can use my lathe to do the deed.  Ditto on the step-drilling, and I've got Forstner bits and an extension mandrel if necessary.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,985 Senior Member
    Teach said:

If you just gotta have holes in the stock, bring it the next time you visit and we can use my lathe to do the deed.  Ditto on the step-drilling, and I've got Forstner bits and an extension mandrel if necessary.

Jerry

'Preciate the offer - but like I said, I'm not taking it into combat, so I think I can live without an onboard cleaning kit!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,141 Senior Member
    Drill the hole a little bigger and wrap the lipstick in the thong!
    zorba said:
    Teach said:

Jerry

'Preciate the offer - but like I said, I'm not taking it into combat, so I think I can live without an onboard cleaning kit!
    Wise decision. I think you'll be happier if you leave it alone.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,348 Senior Member
    Zorba, if you still want a buttstock with the holes, Sarco has a buttstock, wood ONLY-no metal parts, for $39.95.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/garandstockandhandguardsetsinwalnut-completestocksetwoodonly-1.aspx

I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

That's a damn good price - but "nah". Ain't worth it.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,348 Senior Member
    Just doing my 'enabling a purchase' thing! :D There was a place in NC that specialized in M14/M1A and Garand stocks, but I can't seem to find them. They were a regular advertiser in Shotgun News but I haven't seen them in the new Firearms News.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    Ummmm. . .is it possible you've got a really early "no trap" stock?  Springfield started adopted the change in October '39, but did not institute it until about a year later.  Winchester started it sometime in the back end of '42.  A lot of those un-bored stocks got retrofitted. Might not want to go messin' with a piece of wood worth a fair bit of money. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,355 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Ummmm. . .is it possible you've got a really early "no trap" stock?  Springfield started adopted the change in October '39, but did not institute it until about a year later.  Winchester started it sometime in the back end of '42.  A lot of those un-bored stocks got retrofitted. Might not want to go messin' with a piece of wood worth a fair bit of money. 
    Nope. It’s a re-pop. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    edited June 9 #40
    Yea, TOTAL re-pop. Nice stock, blah, blah, but anything but authentic.

BTW, I got distracted when you (Chris) was shooting the piece - how did you do?

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,355 Senior Member
    zorba said:

I pulled the trigger, the bullets came out the end of the barrel. That’s about all i
    can say. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    edited June 10 #42
    cpj said:
    zorba said:

I pulled the trigger, the bullets came out the end of the barrel. That’s about all i
    can say. 
    That's about all I can say about it too! But it was fun, all the same! I'm surprised you didn't ring the 100 yd gong like ya did with the Enfield last year. Can't win 'em all!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

Until we put a little Lubriplate on the trigger group, it would have taken a pretty good grunt from a 4 wheel drive to make the thing shoot!  That's one of the hardest trigger pulls I've ever seen on a Garand!

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach said:

...a pretty good grunt from a 4 wheel drive...

Terminator's or Knitepoet's?

What's your opinion of a Garand "trigger job"?

2»