WI Picked as Top Turkey Hunting State

ShooterScott1ShooterScott1 New MemberPosts: 10 New Member
Seems slightly suspect to me, anyone else agree?  I always assumed it was the lone star state....

https://www.opticsplanet.com/gearexpert/2018/04/best-turkey-hunting-2018.html
Part time archery buff, part time uncle, part time blogger

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    I don't know....never hunted in WI but I know MI and KS have a lot of birds...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,145 Senior Member
    Last time I did much driving in WI, turkeys were a road hazard on rural roads
    I have a need for speed
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,862 Senior Member
    I remember reading this elsewhere, too.  I feel like it may be worth a trip up there someday.  Sounds like there's ample public land, and plenty of fishing opportunities while up there, too.  A big Eastern turkey outshines just about any subspecies out there, and they are simply beautiful to boot.

I am a little suspicious of the articles I have seen lately in this regard, though.  Somehow Nebraska failed to make any of them and we boast a damned near 70% success rate for an over-the-counter tag system (available from your phone with no paper permits required these days) that offers up to three gobblers in the Spring.  Not a lot of public land here, but what we do have is remarkably productive.  To put that in perspective, my home state of PA had a record success rate year of barely over 20% despite large tracts of public land, great turkey numbers and fairly good access for most of the state.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    well I'm 5 miles from the Wisconsin border and this is out my back door 2 falls ago so I don't have any doubt this could be true.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,815 Senior Member
    If you get along with your neighbors, you should have been dining on turkey 2 falls ago.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    If you get along with your neighbors, you should have been dining on turkey 2 falls ago.
    the thought did cross my mind but season was not open at that particular time.

Sako