Game cam details

RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
edited June 7 in Hunting #1
Zee's game cam thread got me thinking about getting three or four set up on our property in south Colorado this summer.  I've never owned a game camera.  Did a search, but perhaps I did it wrong.  Didn't find much on game cameras as far as which ones are good, which ones to avoid, and what bells and whistles are "nice to have" versus "mandatory".  Not worried about price at this point.  Want to know more about what to get / look for before I start worrying about cost. 

What do you have?  What do you like / not like about it?

If this has already been discussed, please point me in the direction of the thread(s).
Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,785 Senior Member
    This is the one I’ve been using and have a few of them. Pleased with them for what they do at their price point. Waited until they were on sale for $100. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/213963/bushnell-trophy-cam-essential-e3-hd-low-glow-game-camera-16-megapixel-tan

Put them in these boxes. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/748529/bushnell-trophy-cam-aggressor-game-camera-security-box-steel-treebark-camo

Again, got them on clearance for $14. 

I think there here are some of the same brand but fancier models for not much more. 

Ive played with some of the fancy cellular ones, but for my day to day stuff, I’ve no need for a $400 game camera. 

The ones I’ve got have a fast trigger time and plenty of options. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks.  Bookmarked those pages.  Not sure I need the boxes, but not a bad idea.  Been researching cameras tonight since it's freakin hotter than the hinges of Hades today.  Still to hot this evening for me to be outside.  Come on winter!!!
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,883 Senior Member
    I pretty much use Browning game cams exclusively.

I prefer them for their "Time Lapse" feature. The green fields I plan are large enough that a deer on one end/side of them won't trigger the camera on the other side, and I'd miss seeing most of the deer that come out on them.

I set mine to take 1 pic/min for the first three and last three hours of daylight, since those are the hours I'm normally hunting. During the other 18 hours a day, it works like a normal game cam.

The drawback is, taking those 360 pix every day EATS batteries. I get 8-10 days per 8xAA batteries.

I don't put mine in boxes, but I do secure them with a python cable

Here's the time lapse (with music added) from a snow storm we had back in December

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,324 Senior Member
    All of our game cameras out on the ranch are Primos Proof series.  They are the simplest to setup and operate that I've found and they work great!  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    edited June 8 #6
    I like that Browning time lapse idea!!  Which Browning model is that video off of?  We have some places on our property in south Colorado where that would come in handy.  To bad it eats up the batteries though...

I'm an electrician.  This makes me wonder if I can wire up a system using a solar panel.
    edited June 9 #7
    I like that Browning time lapse idea!!  Which Browning model is that video off of?  We have some places on our property in south Colorado where that would come in handy.  To bad it eats up the batteries though...

I'm an electrician.  This makes me wonder if I can wire up a system using a solar panel.
    Honestly, I don't remember what models I have. Looking at Browning's gamecam site, they've apparently discontinued my older two models.

My newest is the "Strike Force" model. It has the same features, is a little smaller and goes through batteries a little quicker in time lapse mode, since it only takes 6xAA. So I normally hang it on one of the barn posts, just in motion activated mode, to get better pics of what the other camera shows me at the far end of the field.

Concerning powering them, they have a 12v in plug on the bottom, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out a way to put a solar charger on a 12v battery to get longer run times
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited June 9 #8
    Also, they record the time lapses with a proprietary file extension .TLS and you have to view them with their included software

HOWEVER, a friendly Browning CS person let me in on the fact that just changing the file type to .wmv (windows media video) allows them to play in media player.

Since I can't directly upload a video file to the forum, I changed the file extension on the first .TLS file I found on my computer and "renamed it" to change the file extension and then uploaded it to youtube

Just thought of the fact, since some feeders run a 12v system, and 12v solar chargers for them are available.

You could probably assemble a solar charged, external battery fairly easily

Thank you!!
    You're welcome

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,311 Senior Member
    I also use the Primos truth series and the Truth Cam Ultra 46 at the moment. They're pretty easy to use 
    and set up and with an average of 800 to 1200 pictures a week I was still getting a little over a month on a set of batteries. Primos also makes accessories like solar chargers and larger remote battery packs for their stuff.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • neosamneosam New Member Posts: 28 New Member
    I got a Truth Cam Ultra 46 as a gift last Christmas. Picture quality is very good and the video is great also.
    edited July 1 #14
    Has anyone used Spypoint cameras?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,091 Senior Member
    Has anyone used Spypoint cameras?
    I bought 3 cameras and a "server", I did not have time to set up 3 cameras and the server in my stand but i did hang the 3 cameras and they worked fine.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Found some used ones locally pretty cheap.  Might try them.