H&R model 157 in .22 hornet

sakodudesakodude Senior MemberPosts: 3,073 Senior Member
Anyone familiar with this model? Single shot, full stock model in .22 hornet.
anyone have a blue book handy? I’m away from my books and ran across on of these and am intrigued. 
Thanks.
sako

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    All the ones I'm seeing on line show manlicher stocks and case hardened recievers. They look nice, I see the attraction.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Never heard of it, but those look kinda neat. How much are they asking?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    All the ones I'm seeing on line show manlicher stocks and case hardened recievers. They look nice, I see the attraction.
    It's that exactly. Seems it would be a right handy little carbine. It's also in your neighborhood :)  
    Sako
    tagged at 449.99 which seems a bit high to me. It does look near new though. Just can't decide if I like it that much.

Sako
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    It's that exactly. Seems it would be a right handy little carbine. It's also in your neighborhood :)  
    Sako
    I have other plans. Buy and enjoy if the price fits your agenda👍
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,699 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    Dang why couldn't it be a model 300....then I'd be scrounging.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    tagged at 449.99 which seems a bit high to me. It does look near new though. Just can't decide if I like it that much.

Sako
    OK, it's cool, but not $450 cool.  It's a Handi-Rifle with a bit more wood on the fore end.  Does it have a really nice scope on it or something?

Offer him $325 and see what happens.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,665 Senior Member
    sakodude said:

Sako
    OK, it's cool, but not $450 cool.  It's a Handi-Rifle with a bit more wood on the fore end.  Does it have a really nice scope on it or something?

That would be my game plan.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,559 Senior Member
    Search around first.  I saw one offered on Gunbroker for a little over $200.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L said:
    Search around first.  I saw one offered on Gunbroker for a little over $200.
    Gene, those are handi-rifles, while similar, not the same.  the 157 is a bit more refined, not as club-like as the Handi's
    in my opinion. 

Sako
    sakodude said:

Sako

That would be my game plan.
    Still pondering but thinking about doing just that. The boss however is un-convinced of it's necessity :(

Sako 
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    I agree with the boss.
    It's getting close to September
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,946 Senior Member
    “Refined” or not, it’s a handi Rifle, period. 
    Handi rifles were a cool gun at $200. Were. Used to be. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,209 Senior Member
    They made them from 1976 to 1984 and MSRP was around $165.00 new back then. $450.00 is kinda high for a fancy handi rifle, after all, it's not exactly a Python.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Weatherby said:
    I agree with the boss.
    It's getting close to September
    She pointed that out as well !!

They made them from 1976 to 1984 and MSRP was around $165.00 new back then. $450.00 is kinda high for a fancy handi rifle, after all, it's not exactly a Python.
    Thanks for the info. I agree it's not worth the asking price. It is nicer than any handi I've ever encountered and could be un-fired by condition. It's different and that's what I like about it. Got a bit of time left before I leave the area to ponder on it so we shall see...

Sako 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,973 Senior Member
    My Modern Gun Values and Gun Traders Guide show a $160-$180 price range for a used one. That price is over twice the value of a used one. IF you want it go low offer just above $300 and dicker from there. What they want, and what it's actually worth are too far apart at the asking price, IMO.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

cpj said:
    “Refined” or not, it’s a handi Rifle, period. 
    Handi rifles were a cool gun at $200. Were. Used to be. 
    Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but I understand where your coming from. By that metric my Buffalo classic would be nothing more than a handi rifle and it truly is so much more.

Sako
    tennmike said:
    My Modern Gun Values and Gun Traders Guide show a $160-$180 price range for a used one. That price is over twice the value of a used one. IF you want it go low offer just above $300 and dicker from there. What they want, and what it's actually worth are too far apart at the asking price, IMO.
    Thanks for the info. No question it's over priced. That's why I wondered about where The Blue Book price fell in at since that is typically what Cabelas uses as a reference. Pretty much talked myself out of it at this point anyway but will keep an eye out if the price becomes reasonable.

Sako
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,973 Senior Member
    One thing I've noticed about Cabela's on used gun prices is that they price them WAY higher than is reasonable, most of the time. Got a big gun store here sorta close to me that does the same thing with older firearms. I like that rifle you're looking at, and LOVE the chambering. If you can get them to dickering on price and get them to come down out of the stratosphere on the price, it would be a nice little rifle to own.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.