Damascus Steel?

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 16,554 Senior Member
What's the consensus on this "Damascus Steel" knife from Stauer:

I get the feeling its so-so at best, and certainly not "real" Damascus steel, esp. as my limited knowledge of the subject indicates that's *still* a lost art. (???) But I'm not a knife guy, so I'm just curious...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,946 Senior Member
    Good damascus likely costs more than 59 dollars. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,554 Senior Member
    That's certainly the 1st clue, Sherlock...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 957 Senior Member
    I think the key phrase in the description is " blade of modern Damascus-style steel". It might look like damascus but I don't think it is.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,963 Senior Member
    It's pretty...can't say much more than that.....if you want to see some decent quality , affordable Damascus knives...checkout Atlanta Cutlery
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,451 Senior Member
    The blade handle and sheath look nice. No strength of steel is guaranteed to survive abuse. The longevity of the edge and how sharp it can be made make it good. I've never had a knife blade like that so I don't know how good it is.
  • philo426philo426 Member Posts: 338 Member
    Price is way too low,enough said!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,537 Senior Member
    edited June 11 #8
    Just the damascus blade blanks I bought for about that price, while they LOOKED gorgeous, wouldn't hold an edge for spit
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,946 Senior Member
    Eye of the beholder and all that rot, that particular blade is ugly as home made sin. 
    Im not a Damascus fan unless it’s a stellar example. Do something simple well, rather than something complicated poorly. 
    I also believe the notion that Damascus is superior to ______(choose your modern steel) to be bull **** and folklore. 

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    If they would just call it "pattern welded" steel, which it is, and then forget the Damascus label, it might be easier to understand. Pattern welded steel is made to look "pretty". It may, or may not, make a good knife. Indian or Pakistani steel, traded in Damascus, was far superior to bronze or wrought iron but I doubt it would compare to O1, 1095, or S30V or whatever designer steel they come up with tomorrow. Personally, I prefer simple high carbon steel, well forged and finished and kind of like the idea San Mai construction. 

Hawk
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    For that price, and with the description being "modern Damascus-style steel", I am betting it is 440C stainless that is etched with a damascus-like pattern.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,052 Senior Member

Gotta agree with the others.  Price is too low to be quality Damascus.  It's probably etched or welded pattern.

knitepoet said:
    Just the damascus blade blanks I bought for about that price, while they LOOKED gorgeous, wouldn't hold an edge for spit

I had the same problem with two Damascus guthook knives I ordered as blanks.  The edges were not hard at all.  That's when I decided I use them as a learning experience and harden and temper them myself.  I posted a thread on it last year.  Used a MAPP gas torch and vegetable oil to heat and quench, then a cast iron pan in my toaster oven to temper them.  Up side, they both hardened and hold an edge much better.  I tested the first one by putting an edge on it and nearly chopped a 2x2 in half with it, with no visible mark at all on the edge.  Down side - the process destroyed the Damascus pattern.  The test subject was soaked in hot vinegar and salt a few times, which brought the pattern back some.  Overall, they came out to be pretty functional knives.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,583 Senior Member
    Tail knob? That's a new one.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,963 Senior Member
    olesniper said:
    Tail knob? That's a new one.

Yeah, invent terminology when you don't know what a pommel is...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GilaGila Posts: 259 Member
    Damascus is a forging technique, not the quality of the steel.
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ