Crimson Trace Customer Service

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 9,805 Senior Member
edited June 11 in General Firearms #1
So, my laser grips on my J-frame stopped working one day, I have had them for 5 years and I assumed it was the batteries since I have never changed them. I contact Crimson Trace via their web page and register the grips and then request a set of batteries under their "batteries for life" policy and I get the batteries within a week or so. Put in the new batteries and still no red dot. I got a nice lady on the phone and discussed repairs and replacement, she said the replacement was the way to go and there would be a reduced fee, I think it was $120, that was less than I paid when I bought the originall and I had a rebate back then,  gave her a credit card and they were on their way.
Now, since I had her on the phone, Crimson Trace was running a special that if you bought certain products, then you would get their "Railmaster" for free, I asked if my purchase qualified, and it did. Had to wait to get the new Jframe grips and send in the info and a couplethree weks later my "Railmaster" laser shows up. The only thing I could immediately put it on was my Glock 20, I still might put it on an AR pistol to try, but I am liking it on the Glock so far.

No clue why the first one quit working, I could see no broken parts, It has gone in the water in my pocket a couple times, the last time was at least 3 years ago, and was working fine after that, anybody else have one quit working for them? My Jframe is pretty much on me or next to always unless I am carrying something else, it gets banged around a bit for sure.

All in all, I would say that I got a good deal and folks were polite and efficient.
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    Good to know on the customer service. I have bought 3 new laser grips and 1 used one. Had the original 2 for over 8 years. Haven't had to use customer service yet. I guess that speaks well of their quality. Wanting on of the wireless ones for my AR pistol. Hoping the price will come down some.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,805 Senior Member
    Terminator, have you swapped the batteries on any of yours yet? More than once?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Terminator, have you swapped the batteries on any of yours yet? More than once?
    Now that you asked. Come to think of it, no. Put new ones in the used one I bought before installing it.
    I think you can get free replacements once per year, your due I would say.
    I will look into it. Thanks.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,724 Senior Member
    One thing to keep in mind with all battery powered devices is if you wait too long to replace the batteries and allow corrosion to form damage may occur that a battery swap won't fix. 
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,699 Senior Member
    edited June 11 #8
    In general with any battery operated device, as stated look for corrosion on and around the contacts. Use a pencil eraser and /or a small pick or even some electrical contact spray to clean them off. Sometimes oxidation can "Dull" contacts and put a film on contacts you may not even notice.

I dunno what the battery compartment looks like on one, but are there any visible wires you can get to and inspect? Heck since it is already broken and if you feel inquisitive poke around, it open it up if you can. Worse that can happen is it still won't work and you will have a better knowledge of the innards of one.    

And last, but not least did you give it a little whack/tap on a table top? Never know.  If it momentarily comes on for example you know you have a loose connection somewhere.......................or it could be the on/off switch and nothing to do with the battery compartment....................

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    JKP said:
    One thing to keep in mind with all battery powered devices is if you wait too long to replace the batteries and allow corrosion to form damage may occur that a battery swap won't fix. 
    Big Chief said:
    In general with any battery operated device, as stated look for corrosion on and around the contacts. Use a pencil eraser and /or a small pick or even some electrical contact spray to clean them off. Sometimes oxidation can "Dull" contacts and put a film on contacts you may not even notice.

I dunno what the battery compartment looks like on one, but are there any visible wires you can get to and inspect? Heck since it is already broken and if you feel inquisitive poke around, it open it up if you can. Worse that can happen is it still won't work and you will have a better knowledge of the innards of one.    

And last, but not least did you give it a little whack/tap on a table top? Never know.  If it momentarily comes on for example you know you have a loose connection somewhere.......................or it could be the on/off switch and nothing to do with the battery compartment....................

I had to send the old ones back, they wanted to look at them. I could not see any corrosion or loose wire, I thumped it several times and no luck. I should have tried the pencil eraser or the contact spray just because to see if that would help. They are pretty simple contact points with the switch, it seemed to be moving the parts as they should, I probably should call them to see if anyone diagnosed the problem.
    I haven't seen any corrosion on the ones I have. Might check them again and go ahead and change the batteries.