It's a bird, it's a plane.............it ain't Superman

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,707 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    Looks like a missile to me. But then again what could I know.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,707 Senior Member
    edited June 12 #3
    As one report said, probably launched from a Sub or Ship if it was indeed a missile. 

So the PAO on the base could actually say it wasn't launched from there and could be telling the truth.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Funny thing is there is no report of where it came down. I guess NORAD was sleeping.
    edited June 12 #5
    Funniest thing I ever saw was a PAO Major from the 56th Bde/Command (Pershing) telling the international news media there are no Pershing II missiles in Germany just outside the front gate at Mutlangen MSA (Missile Storage Area).

And as he was saying that in the background went up 1,2,3......Pershing II Missiles went erect from their ELs (Erector Launchers) sticking up/out like big green weenies in the air clearly visible in the background............ going through testing by missile crews and Martin Marietta Corp Techs.

This was about Thanksgiving 1983 and had plenty media attention and anti-Nuke Green Party types demonstrating at the gate.

I guess he was told it wasn't "Official" yet so it didn't happen. Political hot potato and bargaining chip for the future INF (Intermediate Nuclear Forces) Treaty.
    " Are you going to be-leave your lying eyes or what I tell you ? " Those were the good old days.  lol
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Its a secret 
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,211 Senior Member
    It's obviously a unique phenomenon created from the sun reflecting off of the wings of a flock of birds, nothing to see here, move along.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    What is publicly released and the "Real Deal" are often two different things for a variety of reasons. Like national security, OPSEC, political considerations, international relations and what is deemed OK for public consumption at that point in time.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,672 Senior Member
    Weather balloon, new turbo model... 😎
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,211 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    What is publicly released and the "Real Deal" are often two different things for a variety of reasons. Like national security, OPSEC, political considerations, international relations and what is deemed OK for public consumption at that point in time.

We actually get a lot of that around here as we're in the middle of around 750 square miles of Eglin reservation. We have several major highways running across the reservation that are closed periodically for test missions and sections of the Gulf even get closed periodically.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Looks to strait and vertical to be a missile. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,978 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    As one report said, probably launched from a Sub or Ship if it was indeed a missile. 

So the PAO on the base could actually say it wasn't launched from there and could be telling the truth.
    Probably some brand new Ensign assigned to a destroyer/frigate as a Weapons Officer in Training and in launch control center. "I wonder what this button here does?" WHOOSH!!!!! "Oh crap! The Captain is gonna have a fit!" :D
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,558 Senior Member
    Meteor
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    edited June 12 #15
    Whale fart caused by plastic water bottle pollution in the ocean...........whales swallow the empty bottles and whoosh... blow them out at mach 1.......... stop all sales of plastic water bottles or place a heavy tax on them...........oh wait..... they already have in some places...............See what happens from them........a deflated whale is flapping around slowly drowning having lost it buoyancy.........Save the whales............... 
    That must of been a 5 gallon plastic bottle..........................
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    It's either swamp gas, st elmo's fire, or the planet venus. 

Isn't that the standard story for any unexplained object in the sky?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,953 Senior Member
    It's either swamp gas, st elmo's fire, or the planet venus. 

Isn't that the standard story for any unexplained object in the sky?
    It might be Uranus. I know it’s not mine. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Well, it could be a sky beam of death.  Pretty much EVERY superhero movie has a sky beam of death in it. 

I guess this one got defeated by Uranus.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    It is just space junk burning up on re-entry

I have a need for speed
    OK, if you say so Ned.

Now I wonder where you got that idy.....................ah......a moment of clarity under the foil hat. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,288 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Funniest thing I ever saw was a PAO Major from the 56th Bde/Command (Pershing) telling the international news media there are no Pershing II missiles in Germany just outside the front gate at Mutlangen MSA (Missile Storage Area).

And as he was saying that in the background went up 1,2,3......Pershing II Missiles went erect from their ELs (Erector Launchers) sticking up/out like big green weenies in the air clearly visible in the background............ going through testing by missile crews and Martin Marietta Corp Techs.

This was about Thanksgiving 1983 and had plenty media attention and anti-Nuke Green Party types demonstrating at the gate.

I guess he was told it wasn't "Official" yet so it didn't happen. Political hot potato and bargaining chip for the future INF (Intermediate Nuclear Forces) Treaty.
    Anyone can lie to anyone else and still be telling the truth (from a certain point of view)?

Depending on the language described in the SOFA, 56th Bde/Command (Pershing) could be considered a U.S. territory, U.S. Possession or some other form of unincorporated U.S. Entity.

Therefore, if it's ours and not theirs then the PAO was stating truthfully that there weren't any missiles in Germany (at least from his "Official" point of view).

Look at your SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) and/or check with the International Law Officer for CENTCOM (or whichever command you fall under) or the Embassy, or the International Law section of the USAF JAG Office in Washington, DC.

Did the PAO Major dodge the Spirit of the question?..............Absolutely!!!!

If they would've asked him, "Are there any missiles within a 150 mile radius from where we we're standing?" He might have answered, "Please submit all further question to the PAO office, thank you." And then, probably, just would have left.

Word play matters. They do it in government all the time. Pay attention or you're gonna get had!

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,558 Senior Member
    It depends on what your definition if 'is' is.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,978 Senior Member
    edited June 12 #24
    Big Chief, that story sounds like the video of Baghdad Bob saying no U.S. tanks were anywhere near Baghdad, and there were M1 Abrams tanks rolling down the street in the background. Funny stuff! :D
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Yep, I saw plenty M1 tanks in Baghdad in 03. Saw so many Iraqi tanks/vehicles blown apart all the way up there it got boring after a while.