Credit to Trump on NK

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,025 Senior Member
As with everything the devil is in the details, but I'll give Trump credit for pulling off the meeting with lil Kim and at least coming up with a rough framework to develop a formal agreement around. If nothing else this should radically reduce tensions in that part of the world (which of course Trump was at least partially responsible for raising), so that's a good thing. If it leads to denuclearization and true peace on the Korean Peninsula then he will deserve all the credit he gets and yes even I would vote for him for the Nobel Peace Prize. Incidentally, his massive ego seems to be in love with this sort of thing which seems like a positive sign in terms of sticking with it and really working towards a final deal.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,879 Senior Member
    alpha, for once we agree
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

Dealing from a position of strength is always the best way to get results.  I believe it was Al Capone who said "You can accomplish more with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word alone".  The guy with the biggest stick hidden behind his back can afford to be magnanimous- - - - -just don't whiz him off while he's being "nice" to you.  The politicians since the 1950's have talked a good game, but they didn't have the balls to use the stick along with the carrot. 

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,463 Senior Member
    An established dialog is way better that anything we've had sense Truman got PO'd.

If Trump and his cabinet can keep a lid on the boiling rhetoric, I think history will smile on him for this. The press should do likewise and avoid stirring the pot. A lot of people that don't watch tv have all their skin in this.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,200 Senior Member
    This is going to cost us a fortune.  But so did the Iran deal and they still have nukes.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,609 Senior Member
    .....................If it leads to denuclearization and true peace on the Korean Peninsula then he will deserve all the credit he gets and yes even I would vote for him for re-election.......................
    Fixed it for ya'
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,025 Senior Member
    .....................If it leads to denuclearization and true peace on the Korean Peninsula then he will deserve all the credit he gets and yes even I would vote for him for re-election.......................
    Fixed it for ya'
    Um, no. He's going to have to do a lot more than this to earn that vote.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    edited June 12 #8
    Fixed it for ya'
    What, doubling your 401K wasn't enough, or probably creating the employment environment for your new job?....LOL
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,200 Senior Member
    Fixed it for ya'
    What, doubling your 401K wasn't enough, or probably creating the employment environment for your new job?....LOL
    Don't forget his tax cut.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,205 Senior Member

He could cure cancer, triple the economy and end famine and there would still be those that won't vote for him.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    Yep, like I said previously..........Trump could drop his pants on the White House lawn and sheet golden goose eggs and pay off the entire national debt and still get criticized to no end.

Why? Because he is Donald Trump.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Fixed it for ya'
    Given that he directly created the situation by which I had to find a new job (by eliminating the budget of the DOE program I worked for by executive fiat) he started out a bit in the hole on that one.

How about you just accept the small amount of praise I just gave him. It's far more than I ever heard from most of you about Obama. 
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,177 Senior Member
    Michakav said:

He could cure cancer, triple the economy and end famine and there would still be those that won't vote for him.
    ...and then there are those that act like he already did.

Trump gets a thumbs up from me on this one. Of course the devil is always in the details. I hope this leads to something concrete.
    Big Chief said:
    Yep, like I said previously..........Trump could drop his pants on the White House lawn and sheet golden goose eggs and pay off the entire national debt and still get criticized to no end.

He'd be accused of indecent exposure.🙊
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    Fixed it for ya'
    Given that he directly created the situation by which I had to find a new job (by eliminating the budget of the DOE program I worked for by executive fiat) he started out a bit in the hole on that one.

How about you just accept the small amount of praise I just gave him. It's far more than I ever heard from most of you about Obama. 
    Because you’re a dumbass liberal Alph, that’s why. Sheesh! Don’t you know anything ?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Big Chief said:

If he somehow pulls that one out of his ass, I promise he will have my vote. Until then, I think we should refrain from treating him like the orange Obama-- with people projecting all these amazing superpowers on him.
    Remember this woman? Now picture her as a middle aged white man and replace Obama with Trump...

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    edited June 13 #18
    Michakav said:

...and then there are those that act like he already did.

Trump gets a thumbs up from me on this one. Of course the devil is always in the details. I hope this leads to something concrete.

I am not one of those, yet. But I do stand by my statement. Same could be said for many other presidents.

Me personally, I don't want to see any of them fail. Never have. Was not a fan of Obama at all, but always hoped he could better the country. He failed miserably in my opinion.
    cpj said:
    Fixed it for ya'

Because you’re a dumbass liberal Alph, that’s why. Sheesh! Don’t you know anything ?
    I know, I can't even praise Trump right? Was wondering how long it would take to get some at least mildly personal jabs at me in a thread I started to give Trump kudos...
    -DoctorWho
    Once upon a time if I you me disagreed it was because someone was wrong. Now its because someone is wrong and stupid.😶

I guess in all fairness its always been that way. ⌛
    Once upon a time if I you me disagreed it was because someone was wrong. Now its because someone is wrong and stupid.😶

Please understand that CPJ's comment was pure sarcasm.

Please understand that CPJ's comment was pure sarcasm.
    I know, I read the SE shoot thread. My comments are likely lighter than they appear without my personal presence.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    This is just Act I. Things have looked good, before, without anything getting settled. For me  to believe this is all going to work, I have to see fissionable material leaving the country, and inspection teams entering the country, at will.

So far, I commend Donald Trump and his national security crew for executing a bold strategy that has a better chance of success than anything in the last 68 years. But, NK developed its nuclear capability, with assistance from China and  Russia, for the sole purpose of blackmailing the western powers. If they give it up, they have nothing but promises to hang their hats on. I haven't figured out what could convince them to unilaterally disarm themselves, without huge concessions along the way, and Trump has declared that there won't be any until the nukes are gone. That is the equivalent of unconditional surrender, without a shot being fired, and that would seem to be completely unlikely.

Even if 'Dear Leader' is willing, it seems unlikely that China would allow it, or others in Kim's own regime, for that matter. I have to believe that they are baiting Trump, and intend to pull the rug out from under him, at some strategic point in time. I think that China is counting on his narcissistic need for adulation to make him too eager for success. There will be great temptation for him to sweeten the pot for NK, and when he does, he will surely end up with a knife in the back.

Random thoughts:

• Little Kim's apparent resolve to meet Trump's terms require that China and Russia circumvent the sanctions to keep NK  from starving, in the interim.

• China, especially, has the ability to pull the strings on both sides of the negotiations, due to their own economic battle with Trump. They understand the carrot and stick approach as well as anyone, and better than most.

• Russia's influence is a wild card, but it seems likely that Trump's suggestion at the G7 meeting that Russia should be let back in would suggest that he is courting Putin to influence the NK negotiations.

Kim has to know that an impoverished population will nail the coffin lid on a dictatorship faster than any foriegn threat. 
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    Lots of things I don't particularity care about about him, but his unique style of negotiating may be just what is needed to get some positive things going.

I hope this meeting will be an inroad to good things to come.

I do find Trump refreshing in a lot of ways.........he doesn't act or think like politicians and has shook them up. Good they get fat and happy, complacent in DC and they hate it when anyone rocks the boat.

I think some of the turmoil/ruckus in the WH is caused by too many family members involved there.......'Palace Intrigue'. I can see where he trust them above the rest, but think sometimes it may create friction with his staff and cabinet.

OTOH JFK had his brother as the AG......................don't remember a lot of criticism over that.

He will sure get my vote again if he wins the REP nomination and I think he will.

I think the REP controlled congress is shootin themselves in the foot AGAIN. One thing I can say about the DEMS is they usually are in lockstep with their leadership. REPS make asses outta themselves with so much public dissension against what their leaders want to do and against Trump.........and put monkey wrenches in the works .... preventing a lot of their bills to get passed.

If they suffer huge midterm loses (I don't think they will) they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Good news is the DEMS like the incoherent Nancy Pelosi keep making nonsensical remarks on TV which make them look like they aren't playing with a full deck.  Plus they really haven't much to offer except they hate Trump, obstruction and don't wanna MAGA...................stick up for illegals and don't want a secure border.  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    edited June 13 #26

I was making a joke with my original post. I knoooowwwww you wouldn't vote for Trump for any reason. Obama was a feckless, commie Eh-hole, which is why none of us supported him. BTW way, when you spend your life working for government agencies or contractors for government agencies, you are subject to occasional job loss due to budget cuts. How do you think NASA workers felt when Ovomit gutted the space program? That move nearly crashed the economy of Titusville, Florida and Brevard County, which was home to many of the Cape Kennedy personnel. Homes there were made practically worthless, along with the already devastated housing market, and many people lost their homes to foreclosure.
    I know, I can't even praise Trump right? Was wondering how long it would take to get some at least mildly personal jabs at me in a thread I started to give Trump kudos...
    Many of your previous comments in other threads imply that we, or Republicans in general are racist homophobes, so who are you to talk?
    Many of your previous comments in other threads imply that we, or Republicans in general are racist homophobes, so who are you to talk?
    There is a very important distinction that is hard for people to understand. Being a Republican does not make you a racist homophobe. Most Republicans are not racist homophobes. However most racist homophobes vote Republican because many Republican politicians directly pander to or at a minimum never speak out against racist homophobes.

-DoctorWho
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    There is a very important distinction that is hard for people to understand. Being a Republican does not make you a racist homophobe. Most Republicans are not racist homophobes. However most racist homophobes vote Republican because many Republican politicians directly pander to or at a minimum never speak out against racist homophobes.

Yeah...like liberal icons never speaking out on sexual offenders for a couple or three decades.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,569 Senior Member
    ...crashed the economy of Titusville, Florida and Brevard County, which was home to many of the Cape Kennedy personnel. Homes there were made practically worthless, along with the already devastated housing market, and many people lost their homes to foreclosure.
    Which was an opportunity for us, and the home market is rebounding. Which is great for rents, not so much for property taxes which are sky high to begin with as Florida doesn't have a Prop 13 type law in place - one of the VERY few things California did right, and that was because the taxpayers revolted over the issue.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,207 Senior Member
    Only thing I know is that Trump's ego must be looking for a room of his own in the White House since both won't fit in the same bed anymore.
    As I said before, would be fun to watch the pinkos at the Nobel Prize institution biting out their own hands before trying to hold down this year's peace prize to Trump.
    No matter what, he achieved what professional politicians before him couldn't, thus securing a place in history; whatever ends up from this meeting is another thing. If removing costly US military presence from the Korean peninsula is the mid-term result, American taxpayers would have won something....let them sort out their own issues with their own money!