Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Go ahead- - - - -Make our day!

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
Do the idiots in Iran think they can keep on tweaking the United States with no consequences whatsoever? Their "war game" scenario in the Strait of Hormuz looks like they're going to go through the motions of a blockade, at least. I've got a feeling there might be a lot fewer Iranian ships in operational status, once they tangle with our fleet over there! Obummer might be a chicken-livered coward, but the last time I looked, he wasn't the one on the front line if the stuff hits the fan!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/13/close-the-strait-of-hormuz/

How about it, some of you experienced swabbies- - - - -will Iran create much of a problem if we decide to give 'em a good smackdown?
Jerry

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am not a swabby, but I have complete confidence in Our NAVY to beat down any pest like varmint such as Iran to a fair thee well !

God Bless the U.S. NAVY
    God Bless America !!!

Edited to add: Mopping up Iran will pose no more problems than mopping up turkey gravy with bread off your dinner plate.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Once the shore to ship missiles are taken out and we find and fix the subs----no.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Obummer might be a chicken-livered coward, but the last time I looked, he wasn't the one on the front line if the stuff hits the fan!

And one can never neglect the time-honored strategy - if your popularity is in the toilet, start a war.

As for the Iranian military, would we need more of the Navy than the submarine service?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    Too bad our wuss-in-chief doesn't have the beans to tell Imadickyjerkwad....Do ya' feel lucky? Well, do ya...PUNK?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    What NN said. Carrier air groups would be busy taking out land based missile sites and any air assets in play. Regarding their subs, drop the sonobuoys to locate their subs, then either air launch torpedoes, or just use the shipboard ASROC launchers to get them from standoff distance. Their subs are quiet, but they can't hide for long from airborne MAD. Their surface ships wouldn't last long at all. They'd never get in range with their shipboard gun systems, and our missiles hit what they are targeted at, and at a good distance.

They are just messing around acting like fools. If they do anything, I'd expect them to set loose a bunch of mines like they did in the 1987-1988 Tanker War. We female dog slapped their navy then, and could do a lot more now if we were provoked into action. The mines were more problematic than taking out their navy assets. Oil flow through the Straits came to a virtual standstill until the mines were addressed.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -in that narrow area with no room to hide or maneuver, it sounds like they'd be sitting ducks on a very small pond! "Ocean Skeet"!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If they yell "'frog" and jump, I foresee them getting quite proficient in Abandon Ship! maneuvers. Assuming anyone is left to do it. Surface warfare sucks if you're elected to receive. :silly:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Iran has already shown that they are not afraid to unleash some ordnance. They've shot down airliners and launched anti-ship missles. And they have two very deadly ones in the French Exocet and Chinese Silkworm. Fortunately many of the moderate Muslim states regard them as a rogue , much like Saddams Iraq. They know they cannot match America militarily , so they do it politically and economically thru OPEC and high oil prices.
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    I've got no love for the Iranians, but I think you have to take this in perspective. I think a lot of the media attention is probably derrived from the recent tensions over the supposed UAV incident--not to mention it's probably in Iran's best interest to have a lot of attenion.

That said, they do winter military exercises every year--so it isn't like this is something new. And, all countries play war games, and practice for various scenarios. The US military does it all the time--sometimes strategically timed to annoy the people don't like. We've been doing joint exercises with the Jananese and South Korean's for years, because it's good training for everyone involved, and it's a not so subtle sign to the Chinese and North Koreans that we're ready if they ever start a conflict. The Iranians are doing the same thing here--it's mostly just gamesmanship.

In fact--a military exercise is far more advantegeous Iran than actually doing anything. If they closed the SoH, they would face immediate counter-attack by the US, UK, and probably even the Saudi's. If they do an exercise to practice it, they annoy all of us with the resulting tensions, get more attention in the international spotlight, and the government gets to show off its "military might" to it's own people.
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Iran has already shown that they are not afraid to unleash some ordnance. They've shot down airliners and launched anti-ship missles.

We did shoot down their airliner, too.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Do the idiots in Iran think they can keep on tweaking the United States with no consequences whatsoever? Their "war game" scenario in the Strait of Hormuz looks like they're going to go through the motions of a blockade, at least. I've got a feeling there might be a lot fewer Iranian ships in operational status, once they tangle with our fleet over there! Obummer might be a chicken-livered coward, but the last time I looked, he wasn't the one on the front line if the stuff hits the fan!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/13/close-the-strait-of-hormuz/

How about it, some of you experienced swabbies- - - - -will Iran create much of a problem if we decide to give 'em a good smackdown?
    Jerry

Check your BP Teach, trying to figure out them Iranians into anything that has any Rhyme or Reason gives me a headache! I think they are all nuts, some just worse than others in that part of the world.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Well, that area has been the scene of conflict since the Old Testament days- - - - -it's not likely to get resolved anytime soon. One of the trhings old Abraham should have remembered is "Don't mess around with the hired help!"
    Jerry