Home Main Category General Firearms

High Standard HD Military

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,743 Senior Member
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #3
    It looks alright👍

I don't think they were ever known for having a dynamic finish?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    A Grail gun....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Looks like a shooter to me
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Held a few. Never shot them. Always wanted one. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    Me too; very nice HD!
    Friend of mine owns 2 of those but the longer barrel (6"?) version and refuses to sell one to me  :'( ;  with proper SV ammo (The only one you're supposed to use in these brand pistols) the old pistol is truly a tack driver!
    Only way I figure to "ease the itch" of finding one in good condition (Quite hard here) is to someday get a Ruger MkIV Competition.....and I know it won't be the same.

Seems like magazines are the Achilles heel of these pistols; owners advice scrounging as many original replacements as possible and/or a small lips reforming tool sold on eBay so you can re-shape the mag aperture to ensure proper feeding reliability.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    The stocks are ebony, but I was looking for walnut.  The ones on the gun when I bought it were white plastic and looked awful.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Gene, they are indeed very good shooting pistol and are not made to shoot HV ammo. I had the HB (exposed hammer).  one time and shoot well with SV ammo. . Gun operated too fast with HV ammo to pick up the next round from mag. mine was made in 1942..The frame would crack on some of the older High Standard pistols so check under the grips before buying.. I bought mine for $60.00 because the man didn't know how to take the slide off and ripped the springs out of it.Sold it for $400.00.  Maybe should have kept it.