Crappy XD-S Trigger...Please Help!

iklwaiklwa Posts: 3 New Member
edited June 14 in Personal Defense #1

Hello Folks,

Last summer, I decided to update my personal defense every day carry. My winter pistol was the 1911 Government Model. Hold on before ya start laughing. I’ve had this pistol since 1981 and it now goes “Bang” every time the trigger is pulled. That, along with the fact that the groups tend to fall into a ragged hole about and inch and a half wide at 25 yards makes the case for a big pistol VERY strong.

My summer carry was a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in 44 Special. It’s much reduced size made summer duty only logical…. except I could not hit the side of a barn, even if I was inside the barn! OK, I’m exaggerating a little. I just never quite made good friends with the Pug.

So, I went to the shop and “tried on” everything in 45 ACP to see if anything felt good. I settled on the Springfield Armory XD-S in 45. There wasn’t much of a contest. It just was “right” with the six-round extended magazine. I also added a Crimson Trace Laser Guard. Combined with a Gunfighters Inc Ronin outside the waistband holster and a Blackhawk single magazine holder, I have never felt more comfortable.

Even though the pistol is accurate, it has one of the most horrible triggers! I installed the Powder River spring kit…to no avail. It is maybe a little lighter but still terribly creepy and rough.

Can anyone point to an improved trigger kit for my new XD-S?

Thanks everyone,

Iklwa

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,512 Senior Member
    No one here is gonna laugh at the 1911 GM.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,419 Senior Member
    I had the same impression of my XDs stock trigger....after firing about 500 rounds it smoothed out to be a damn good trigger....of course, your mileage may vary....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,235 Senior Member
    My XD-S has a decent trigger. Never had to consider improving it.. .but it will never be a 1911 trigger. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,402 Senior Member
    I suspect that the op might be looking to equipment rather than practice to become a better shot. I frequently carry a DAO bulldog and it's surprisingly accurate.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,509 Senior Member
    edited June 15 #6
    My wife has the original XD-9 as her "house gun".  I am actually pretty impressed with the trigger- except the reset.  Lots of travel to reset the trigger.

A quick googling shows that Powder River, Galloway Precision and Overwatch precision make XD-S triggers.  No experience with any of them
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Not a match pistol - doesn't need a match trigger.  Lube the contact points, shoot the bejeezus out of it & re-evaluate.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,239 Senior Member
    My XDs45 has a good trigger. So does my S&W Shield, after spending another $140 for an Apex kit.