A few prayers please

Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior MemberPosts: 5,965 Senior Member
Earlier this evening my Dad had an accident. 
He was at the farm by himself to take a load of wheat to town. He was checking that the dump bed on the truck was working when it got hung up coming back down. He reached between the two frames and the bed released itself, pinning him just below the right armpit. 
Dad was pinned for about 15 minutes, he thinks. 
The hospital has admitted him for the weekend at least. The X-RAY showed no obvious fractures, there is nerve damage but the extent won’t be known until the swelling goes down. 

A few prayers for a full recovery would be greatly appreciated. Also the hospital staff could probably use some prayers, it sounds like Dad will be admitted into in-patient physical therapy Monday morning and be there for a week or two. He gets grumpy being caged up, especially when the coffee sucks. 
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,292 Senior Member
    Thank Goddess his arm wasn't crushed!!

Prayers out...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,288 Senior Member
    Prayers for a speedy recovery and no permanent damage.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,699 Senior Member
    Prayers for a fast recovery for your father and for the benefit of the staff!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,054 Senior Member
    Prayers for a quick recovery.

Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,419 Senior Member
    My prayers are with your dad and family.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    On the way
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,308 Senior Member
    Prayers for a speedy recovery for your dad and for peace for the nursing/PT staff
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,292 Senior Member
    Please do keep us posted...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    Holy O frig dude! Hope he’s ok. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    My very best for your Dad. I hope he had a full recovery.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,874 Senior Member
    Keeping your. DadD in our thoughts and prayers...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 421 Member
    That could have been really bad. I’ll say a prayer for him.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,278 Senior Member
    I am glad he wasn't hurt worse. May he have a speedy recovery.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,016 Senior Member
    Wow, that had to hurt. Hope for a speedy recovery.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    On the way, please keep us posted as to his progress.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,835 Senior Member
    Consider it done, Farm Boy.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    I thank you all for the prayers. I also thank you for wading through my verbal diarrhea. I was more shaken than I care to admit when I wrote the OP. 

I have now moved into being more irritated with Dad for doing something so incredibly stupid. He would beat me black and blue for doing what he did. 

I am 32 years old and my family has preached safety for as long as I can remember. I can only remember one other injury that required a trip to the doctor and that was gash from a fall. We did have a pretty good record. 

I can remember a close call Dad had probably 25 years ago, it was the same thing. A grain truck with sketchy hydraulics splintered the chunk of wood he was using as a “safety block” and started coming down while he was working on it. 

I guess even the king of slow and steady got in a hurry. Now he has to miss the Eagles concert tomorrow. 

Again thank you for the prayers and for giving me a space to vent. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,611 Senior Member
    edited June 16 #19
    He is really going to have to be careful from now on. He just used up a lot of luck quota to come out of that with the arm.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Some of that farm equipment is unforgiving to the point of being lethal. Some rest and a complete recovery would be great.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,990 Senior Member
    All the best to you & your dad  !!
    You can smuggle in some good coffee for him .
    Keeping an eye on old dads are like herding cats...... but worth the work every day.
    Again I hope he has a speedy recovery !

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,003 Senior Member
    Prayers said for your dad.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,395 Senior Member
    Knee mail on its way!

Starbucks has instant coffee and its not bad! I bought it for backpack trips. The staff will thank you.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    late to the party but best for your family and the poor hospital workers
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    Sent. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    edited June 16 #26
    Praying for a full and speedy recovery for your dad. 

Sometimes when things aint working right and there's no help around, we will try things that we know we shouldn't. But this will probably leave an impression on him and he won't put himself at risk again. 
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,001 Senior Member
    Best wishes and prayers for your dad. Take him some decent coffee, or buy him a percolator.

I know how you feel, with the anger. My dad drove me crazy with the way he operated a chainsaw, and did lots of things with a tractor that I wouldn't even consider, like pulling a load with the front wheels coming off the ground. He knew how to do it, but it still pissed me off.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,256 Senior Member
    Prayers out. 

Friend of mine lost his grandfather the same way. That is some scary stuff
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bisley said:
    Best wishes and prayers for your dad. Take him some decent coffee, or buy him a percolator.

I know how you feel, with the anger. My dad drove me crazy with the way he operated a chainsaw, and did lots of things with a tractor that I wouldn't even consider, like pulling a load with the front wheels coming off the ground. He knew how to do it, but it still pissed me off.

I have HELPED do some seriously sketchy stuff on the farm. It was all a calculated risk that was done as safely as we could. Sometimes all I could do was hold my end and shake my head. I don’t think we have a single piece of equipment that hasn’t been pushed past it rated capacity. Or used in some manner that the manufacturer NEVER even guessed. 

My Dad has always been the steady one, the slow down and look this over guy. His brother has always been the one to GO NOW GOTTA GET IT DONE!!!!

Although Uncle Jerry has slowed down since he fell off that ladder and broke five ribs and punctured a lung. Then two (3?) years later off the roof and broke his ankle. He even built a man basket that attaches to the loader bucket. 

Dad 5-31-13
    I talked to Dad a few minutes ago, he seems to be in pretty good spirits. Says he isn’t in too much pain, mostly the arm below the elbow feels like it is asleep. 

He didn’t even raise a fuss when I said I was going to take his brand new kayak. He won’t be paddling for a while. 
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,038 Senior Member
    Done
    I have a need for speed