sneaky Pete range report

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 462 Member
Well, it has been about a year since i began using the sneaky pete holster. overall, I really like it. Here are some pros and cons.
First the pros: You do not have to dress around the gun. The gun is totally invisible. Access to the gun is very fast. Nobody knows that you are carrying. Most "gun" guys do not recognize it. Some cons: It is a bit heavy, so i have to cinch up the belt tighter than normal. It will catch on chair arms at restaurants . Cold weather wear is a bit problematic in that it can be difficult to close a jacket or coat. So I either let the jacket come to the top of the holster and zip the jacket, or leave the jacket open. Biggest problem for me is placing it on the belt. The belt clips are very  stiff so I place it on the belt, then put on the pants.
 I have not had any comments about it one way or another from people out in public.  It is not perfect and I still have other holsters better suited for cold weather wear. But IMHO,it is a worthwhile addition to anyones carry mode. Since my purchase, the Sneaky Pete folks have come out with holsters having different logos. One I like is a red cross. giving the impression that it may be a first aid kit. 
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,657 Senior Member
    Hey, if it works for you that's good. I've thought about them before.

What guns will they fit.

There is also a show called Sneaky Pete on Amazon.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,213 Senior Member
    98+% of the population will never notice one. 
    To some, (me) they will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. Adding a Red Cross will only make it more obvious to the folks who will already notice it. Who carries a first aid kit....on their belt? 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,037 Senior Member
    I've thought about one on and off - but I agree with CPJ about the "1st aid kit". Not only that, but what if someone gets hurt and all eyes are on you to render 1st aid?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,509 Senior Member
    That is actually my concern with the sneaky pete as a whole.  You have a big 'thing' on your belt that looks like a phone holster.  What do people think when you pull your phone out of your pocket?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,213 Senior Member
    That is actually my concern with the sneaky pete as a whole.  You have a big 'thing' on your belt that looks like a phone holster.  What do people think when you pull your phone out of your pocket?
    Have you seen people today? They’d never give it a second thought. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    There's that too - my phone is in a holster already on my left hip, when I bother to carry it. In any event, its a LOT smaller than a Sneaky Pete!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,239 Senior Member
    I've never used mine. I ran into an old fart with one, and it was obvious to me, and I thought at the time, everyone else. Since then, though, I don't really concern myself with such things, because really, no one is paying any attention to what old farts are doing. I'll eventually get around to using it, probably.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,264 Senior Member
    I got one when they first came out for the 3PAT. I am not sure if i ever wore it out of the house. It just felt like a book attached to my belt.  Pretty sure we have a member that has the one for a Shield and wears it often. With the blazing hot weather lately i have been just sticking my Glock in a cheap sling pack
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,026 Senior Member
    I have one for the Shield and I used to wear it often......until my wife stole it.  Sometimes she will wear it on her belt when walking the dog or fishing, mostly she uses it to turn any purse into a concealed carry purse.  I have started using a couple of custom kydex OWB holsters a friend made and leave my shirt un-tucked.  The Sneaky Pete works very well, however and nobody ever notices it.  Only comment I ever got was from a hippie at a flea market who was selling bags and pouches.  His only comment was "Nice pouch!".  I briefly toyed with the idea of walking over and telling him what it was just to see if he would pee his pants.....but I just smiled and kept walking.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,529 Senior Member
    Problem is they are too gun specific and for dinky guns.
    This message has been deleted
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,419 Senior Member
    The wife tried one... didn't like it...I tried it on...didn't like it...so it went in the used holster box until I sold it here on the board...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I guess it is no worse than a fannypac that nobody cares about.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 462 Member
    I too was concerned about the red cross. Mine is a first generation and is totally plain. Visit their web site to see what is offered. I think they make holsters to fit a wide variety of guns. Mine was ordered to fit a Shield and it fits perfectly. I decided that if asked about it I would say it is a pill dispenser. I would omit that it is for lead pills.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
     The Case is for a medical device, hey.

I once thought a person could fill and cap off some surgical tubing with some brown
    or yellow fluid and run it from a fannypac to under a shirt.

I bet nobody would ask about that issue. 
    gunwalker said:
     I decided that if asked about it I would say it is a pill dispenser. I would omit that it is for lead pills.
    The answer I had ready, but never had to use, was that it was for a metric hole punch......9MM holes.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,818 Senior Member
    I don't care for them.  I've got one, but don't wear it.  It's slow and maybe requires two hands, one to flip up the flap and the other one to handle the gun.  But maybe I'm doing it wrong.  To anyone who has seen them (and who has a little knowledge) it's obvious what it is.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    edited June 19 #18
    Gene L said:
    It's slow and maybe requires two hands, one to flip up the flap and the other one to handle the gun.  But maybe I'm doing it wrong.  To anyone who has seen them (and who has a little knowledge) it's obvious what it is.
    Yep, you are doing it wrong.  One handed draw, lift the flap with your thumb.  It is actually faster/easier than lifting your shirt with one hand to draw from a concealed OWB holster under your shirt with the other.  Also, no shirt to catch on during the draw.  In my experience, the only people who had a clue what it was also had a concealed carry permit, so I really didn't care that they recognized it.  I have worn it openly in front of multiple law enforcement officers and not a single one ever batted an eye at it.  To be honest, the main reason I have not taken it back from my wife is because I have a new kydex OWB holster who's design allows me to easily conceal my full-size double stack under a shirt.  15+1 plus 15 plus 15 feels safer than 8+1 plus 8 plus 10 (modified magazine).  Do I expect to ever need that many rounds?  Nope.  So why do I carry that many?  Because I can.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,264 Senior Member
    10canyon you have me thinking that maybe i should give it another chance
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    It is not perfect for every situation, but it is a viable option for most.  It is nice to not have to dress around your gun, but just make sure you wear something with a belt so it doesn't pull your pants down.  xd emoticon  One handed draw is easy with a little practice.  If you get your thumb under the flap, the continuation of reaching for the gun naturally pushes the flap up out of the way.  My only complaint is that it is big, but that is a direct result of the size gun you are concealing.  I think my Shield is at the very top end of the size gun the Sneaky Pete would be a viable option for.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,657 Senior Member
    Hey what will they thunk of next.........A St Bernard with a fanny pack with a handgun inside around its neck instead of a flask of rum to the rescue....... Hearty Laugh animated emoticon

Just being facetious...........................

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,512 Senior Member
    I think I saw a brief case for SBR AR's once.
    There's always that classic: A violin case!

I gotta draw the line at strapping a violin case to my belt.  red neck laughing emoticon

Unless I can get a folding stock for my VEPR-12 so it will fit......  scratching head smiley

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,361 Senior Member
    I have one for my xds and it is ok but I can't say it is my favorite. It is the only thing I have found for when I am dressed up, meaning I tuck my shirt in my jeans, but it is in the way when you get in the car and if removed it's hard to put back on my belt. It is rather large but no one has ever seemed to notice it. For me it has a place but only when I have to.
    I've got one for a Kahr PM9 someone can have.  Pay the postage.  I tried the thumb method, can't make it work that way.  I'll tote my pocket gun in...well, my pocket.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,805 Senior Member
    I have a Sneaky Pete and been using it for over 3 years and love it. I never had anyone ask me what the case is for.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED
    THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
    I've never been made with any holster that I know of.  I've seen S-Ps twice and recognized them immediately, though.  Not that it mattered, but to an educated eye, they stand out.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,165 Senior Member
    NN said:
    I like my waist packs and they hold a Commander sized 1911 😎
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,948 Senior Member
    NN said:
    I like my waist packs and they hold a Commander sized 1911 😎
    Agreed Wambli, I wear one occasionally, and it fits a Glock 17/22 or my Stinger just fine.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug