This may be one of the hardest and least productive hunting seasons yet

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,311 Senior Member
This is why:

After a lot of juggling, planning and finagling... I have my own land.  This is looking at the half (100 acres) that is already done, and behind me from that pic is another 100 acres of heavily wooded land that should be closed by the end of the month.  It has a pipeline cut right through both tracts that give me a known 600 yard shot, and one that I might be able to stretch to 1000 with a little bit of tree trimming.

Downsides- it's a bit of drive from home (3 hours if I haul arse).  It is hard to get into (landlocked), and has no electricity, structures or water/ well. It's not in my beloved Hill Country. It's in a 1 buck county with the goofy antler restrictions.
Upsides - Two stock tanks. Lots of woods and open land.  9 Minute drive from a GREAT bass fishing lake. It's not going anywhere.

At the end of last hunting season, I lost half of the lease that we have been hunting on for almost 12 years.  The half that was sold was the part we all had our blinds and feeders on, and had the best fishing hole EVER on it.  When that happened, I started putting all this in motion, so I will not lose my hunting lands again.  I'm still keeping the lease on the remaining half, because it's near my hometown and has a lot of history with us.  But now... I have a place that will not be sold out from under me.

Now comes the hard work.  Need to get feeders and blinds, do some road clearing and building.  There is some good deer sign, LOTS of pig sign, and when I was out there a few weeks ago, saw a couple of really good sized doe.

Going this weekend for the first 'improvement' trip.  Gotta chainsaw a tree out of the right-of-way.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,974 Senior Member
    Good luck with that... there's just something about having your own place....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,459 Senior Member
    Envy. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,881 Senior Member
    That's how ya do it!  Good luck to you.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,885 Senior Member
    i hope it works out for you. Sure looks like it will
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,571 Senior Member
    Looks good bud :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,569 Senior Member
    I thought just getting milk was a 3 hour trip down there.
    enjoy the potential.........very happy for you
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,995 Senior Member
    You suck. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    Congratulations. Plant some peas or food plots in the vicinity of the ponds to negate any lack of fresh water and acorns. You might be able to create a situation where they bed down in nearby woods and sneak down to the ponds for food and water.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,311 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Good luck with that... there's just something about having your own place....
    I suspect there is.  But I also suspect this will be a HUGE learning experience.

Zee said:
    Envy. 
    Thank you!

Six-Gun said:
    That's how ya do it!  Good luck to you.
    Thanks!

Diver43 said:
    i hope it works out for you. Sure looks like it will
    I hope so as well. 

knitepoet said:
    Looks good bud :up:
    Thank you!

Weatherby said:
    I thought just getting milk was a 3 hour trip down there.
    enjoy the potential.........very happy for you
    That's only driving 2 miles inside of Austin. 
    Thanks!

cpj said:
    You suck. 
    I know!  200 acres is more then I thought I'd EVER have.

bisley said:
    Congratulations. Plant some peas or food plots in the vicinity of the ponds to negate any lack of fresh water and acorns. You might be able to create a situation where they bed down in nearby woods and sneak down to the ponds for food and water.
    Thanks for the food plot ideas.  I think this is in your neck of the woods, so I may be poking your brain for more ideas.  There is a local rancher running cows on the land, so food plots like that may need additional fencing to keep the cows from getting fatter.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,819 Senior Member
    Your cylinder count is going to go WAY up, you will want a tractor or a skid loader with every attachment available soon. Build your buildings not to burn down and either harden your entrances or make them easy to get into and just leave a jug of booze on the table, depends on your local crazies. The Stihl salesperson is going to know you on a first name basis. 3 hours is easy, we have a 4 hour drive, gotta plan ahead before you go, but you can decompress on the drive.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks for the food plot ideas.  I think this is in your neck of the woods, so I may be poking your brain for more ideas.  There is a local rancher running cows on the land, so food plots like that may need additional fencing to keep the cows from getting fatter.
    Hmm. That's interesting, because my lease (near Hawkins) is 200 acres, and the owner has mentioned that he might sell it.
    On second thought, it can't be my place, because mine has no ponds and no pastures or cows, and has frontage on a county road.

Most places in my area will grow purple hull peas that have just been broadcast on a tilled up area and left alone. Deer and hogs love them, even after they have dried up and fallen off (if they last that long). The commercial food plot seeds work well, too, I'm told.
    Hawkins is like an hour and a half away from my place. 

Purple hull peas.  I'll look at that.  You ever use cotton seed for protein for the deer?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Your cylinder count is going to go WAY up, you will want a tractor or a skid loader with every attachment available soon. Build your buildings not to burn down and either harden your entrances or make them easy to get into and just leave a jug of booze on the table, depends on your local crazies. The Stihl salesperson is going to know you on a first name basis. 3 hours is easy, we have a 4 hour drive, gotta plan ahead before you go, but you can decompress on the drive.

yeah.  Tractor and skid loader will be WAY down the road.  But the skid loader would help in expanding the stock tanks...

There is a lot of talk online about a LOT of poaching in the area.  So, yes- buildings will be made hardened, since first thing will be a camping/ hunting cabin with 12v solar and rainwater harvesting. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,710 Senior Member
    Oh Envy factor is high brother!!!  Congratulations, there is nothing like looking at a nice size piece of land and think "Damn I own all this!".

I'm starting to look next year.  I too will probably be at least 3 hours from whatever I buy.  Hey it's worth it!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Hawkins is like an hour and a half away from my place. 

Purple hull peas.  I'll look at that.  You ever use cotton seed for protein for the deer?
    Never used it for protein, but I've fertilized potatoes with cottonseed meal. Folks around here used it for everything, a few years ago.

On the poaching - local game wardens recommend lots of purple paint and signs around the perimeter so that prosecution is more viable. Poachers know all the answers on how to avoid prosecution, and being very clearly marked makes a big difference on whether they will pursue charging a poacher. Also, scope out the place for ATV activity and deny access with fencing, signs, and paint. My own experience is that the best protection is to catch one on camera and let the game warden track him down and scare the hell out of him. In many cases, it will be kids.

On an ironic note - right after I posted the first time, I got a call from the owner of my lease informing me that he had sold the 200 acres, so I am out of business for deer hunting, again.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,138 Senior Member

I hope you realize that you're living my dream.

Congrats!

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    bisley said:

On an ironic note - right after I posted the first time, I got a call from the owner of my lease informing me that he had sold the 200 acres, so I am out of business for deer hunting, again.
    I know how that sucks.  Sorry to hear that
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Oh Envy factor is high brother!!!  Congratulations, there is nothing like looking at a nice size piece of land and think "Damn I own all this!".
    I will be doing that Friday about mid-day :)
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Congrats!

Been a dream of mine for a long damn time as well.  Still does not feel real.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Congrats!

Been a dream of mine for a long damn time as well.  Still does not feel real.
    Oh it will when you are doing something and all of a sudden you realize, CRAP I need heavy equipment!!!   :smile:

Enjoy my friend, very happy for you!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Suggestion for a cheaper alternative for plowing up greenfields, to start...

Find an agriFab tow behind 36" tiller and an old riding lawn mower (I suggest 20HP+). It doesn't even need a mower deck. Actually I find it easier without a mower deck, less to drag the ground while tilling.

I took an old one and then fabri-cobbled a heavier duty "hitch" out of 1/4x2" flat stock that's bolted to the frame.
    Be forewarned it's going to beat the ever loving snot out of you, especially when first breaking up the ground, but it's a LOT faster than a walk behind tiller, and a lot cheaper than buying a small tractor to do it.

Knowing how bad it is here, I also suggest finding a cheap "beach umbrella" and fabri-cobbling a way to mount it, so you can have some semblance of shade while tilling

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The biggest issue I face when I bought my land was trespassers.  If I had a dollar for every guy I found comfortably sitting in a tree stand inside my WELL marked property (I had No Trespassing signs every 10-15 feet) I'd be retired.  It took me about two years for the word to get around that my patch of dirt was not a communal entertainment facility for every neighbor to enjoy for free.  I even had some guys tell ME they had permission from the owner to be there.

Everyone that asked to hunt my land got the same reply.  Of course I'll let you hunt here, I have a $16,000 a year tax bill on this place plus a few thousand on insurance and a nice mortgage to pay, how much are you willing to chip in?  And by the way I have 600 bails of hay coming on Friday that need to make their way into the hay loft in my barn.  What are you doing before breakfast?

One tip, making a friend of the local Fish and Game Warden is absolutely priceless.  Buy the guy lunch a few times) and introduce yourself, give him your numbers and call his boss and tell him what a great guy he is.  Ask if there is anything you can do to make his life easier.  I used to let mine come out of the cold into my nice heated tack room and help himself to beer and soda out of the fridge in the barn.  He patrolled my property like it was HIS home.  After a while the word got around and folks started staying on their side of the line.
    One tip, making a friend of the local Fish and Game Warden is absolutely priceless.  Buy the guy lunch a few times) and introduce yourself, give him your numbers and call his boss and tell him what a great guy he is.  Ask if there is anything you can do to make his life easier.  I used to let mine come out of the cold into my nice heated tack room and help himself to beer and soda out of the fridge in the barn.  He patrolled my property like it was HIS home.  After a while the word got around and folks started staying on their side of the line.
    When I was hunting on land owned by the company I worked for, the president of the company befriended the game warden and gave him permission to hunt on the property. The poachers got the word quickly, and it ended. You never knew when he was going to show up, and he questioned every one he found on the property, plus had landowners around the perimeter tipping him off about strangers on the property.
    read up on some local forums, and there does seem to be an issue with poaching/ trespassing.  One of the good things with it being landlocked is that it makes it harder for ANYONE to get to it.  I will try and meet the wardens in the area.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

My brother donated an old real estate sign to go up and be part of the first shooting range on the new property :) 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Looking good

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    That is awesome Bullsi! I was fired up when I picked up my 5 acres. 200? Wow!!!

Power? The no power thing is pretty much a non-issue these days. Solar is cheap, and if you wait for a sale, those ultra quiet 2000 watt Harbor Freight generators go on sale for $450 and you can hook up an extended run tank easily enough. LED lights sip power too.

Water? 275 gallon IBC's go for cheap and a full one will last you a long time.
    Just got back and unloaded from the land.  I am so freaking sore.

ill post up more info and pics later.  Right now I am too beat
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov