This may be one of the hardest and least productive hunting seasons yet

2»

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that trespassing and poaching are such problems, but I sort of am. I'd be scared to death to go on someones private land unwanted.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,504 Senior Member

Deer!

Pipeline cut looking southeast (from the high point)

Pipeline looking northwest.  

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that trespassing and poaching are such problems, but I sort of am. I'd be scared to death to go on someones private land unwanted.
    I am the same way.  It is just alien for me to think like that
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,409 Senior Member
    Amazed at the devastation that pipeline cut caused on your place....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Yeah, those evil petrochemical companies leave nothing but death and destruction behind them
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    edited July 6 #37

We did that with 100 acres in 1983- - - - -never regretted it!  Well- - - - -repeatedly chasing our beef cattle back home and patching the hole in the fence in the dead of winter wasn't exactly fun!  After giving the old bull a butt full of birdshot from 50-60 yards away a few times, all I had to do was show up and rack the action, and he would head for home at a gallop!  Who says racking a pump gun isn't effective? 

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,227 Senior Member
    Having spent thousands of hours surveying and hunting on land in an active oil field, I can testify that the only impact on the local wildlife is temporary, during construction. Once the new right-of-way is seeded for grass, and the noisy equipment has vacated the area, the local wildlife is investigating it as a food source. In fact, most animals are checking it out at night, even during the construction.period. In many cases, the new clearing that is created opens up hunting land that nobody has taken good advantage of for years, due to thick brush or swampy areas.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    Pipeline right-of-ways are some of my favorite places to hunt.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,379 Senior Member
    Congrats, where’s the new place at?I have a buddy who relentlessly helped me when we bought my ranch along with my boys. Once deer season started to get close lots of friends and family started coming out of the woodworks to hunt opening day and week. 

They were actually taken back and pissed when I told them no. I said the month on Nov was set aside for family and those who helped during the off season to get the place ready.  They couldn’t get over the fact I said no and to this day it’s still no as they’re never here to help out. 

I have ave a buddy who builds great blinds and feeders. He’s in San Angelo area but delivers to the metroplex and other areas

best of luck and again congrats!

Jeff
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff- It’s ‘near’ Corsicana and Mexia.

Thanks!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member

Thanks!
    Holy O Frig! I know EXACTLY where that is. 
    And you probably know, but those towns are pronounced CorsicanER, and Ma’hair. 
    Mexia is home to some famous (if only local) chicken place, Jim’s I think, where Anna Nicole Smith used to work. 
    I’m a wealth of ing knowledge. 👍
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,379 Senior Member

Thanks!
    It's hog heaven down you way off of the Trinity!  Best of luck can't wait to see more pics and hearing about the hunting experiences!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    On private land, you're f..ing with the devil without permission.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,227 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Thanks!
    Mexia is home to some famous (if only local) chicken place, Jim’s I think, where Anna Nicole Smith used to work. 
    I spent six weeks living in a cheap motel at Mexia, back in the '80's, while surveying pipelines and staking oil well locations. Imagine living in a small room and eating restaurant food in a rural Texas town the size of Mexia for six weeks, and your disdain for Okies will diminish immensely. I made it OK, but the city boys were traumatized.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    cpj said:

Thanks!
    I spent six weeks living in a cheap motel at Mexia, back in the '80's, while surveying pipelines and staking oil well locations. Imagine living in a small room and eating restaurant food in a rural Texas town the size of Mexia for six weeks, and your disdain for Okies will diminish immensely. I made it OK, but the city boys were traumatized.
    Up until a few users ago, a cheap motel was your only option. You felt dirty just driving by a motel.  Having inlaws to stay with was a plus. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
2»