Home Main Category General Firearms

Nosler has a new custom bolt action handgun for 2018

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,398 Senior Member
Don't think I've seen this one discussed here. Nosler makes some really nice custom rifles. Their M48 NCH Custom handgun is different, and comes with a lot of custom options. It ain't cheap, but it's really nice. Aluminum chassis, threaded barrel, can be had with fluted barrel, and lots of custom colors. Take a look and see what you think.

https://www.nosler.com/nosler-handgun

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    That is a nice looking rig.

I'm not familiar with the cost of hunting handguns of that design, but how much less are others of this type..

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'll bet they shoot great, but MSRP of $2495 you would really have to be into single shots to pay that. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,025 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #4
    It will die a languishing death. Priced out of market. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    It sure is a neat looking rig, but way above what I would pay. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    That's a LOT to pay for that pistol, but it is a custom made one, so the price is what I'd expect. When you figure the price of an action, blueprinting that action, buying a high quality barrel and trigger, having the barrel threaded and fitted,  and chambering the barrel, and add in a custom stock, It would be hard to come in at less than that price.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I like the gun and that it is center grip. I will not pay that price for one, though. 
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I like it but not for that price. I reckon I could whip up the same thing in about a weeks time for a fraction of that price. Perhaps I’m in the wrong portion of the gun industry.
    There is nothing special about a Specialty Pistol. It’s half the material for twice the cost. The only odd ball is the trigger for a center grip. Otherwise, the are bending you over and giving you a big **** for no reason. 

Suck it, Nosler. I can build for less. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    I wonder how the balance is. I'm sure its better than a Borchardt, but could it be "flippy"?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Not with a good brake. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    The design is really appealing, but it's definitely not going to be a mainstream hit.  That said, Nosler typically aims above average market price by a good bit with any of their custom guns, so the sticker price is no surprise.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #13
    Educate me.  Is a center grip configuration more desirable?  And if so, why?
    IME, the center grip balances better, the weight balances over the grip as opposed to be ALL barrel weight.

For strictly shooting off a rest, a rear grip is easier, HOWEVER, if there's even a slight chance of needing to shoot from any other position, I'll take a center grip EVERY time.

Also, that "hump" protruding below the action will rest on your forearm/wrist.

I KNOW it's easier for me to shoot my XP-100 off-hand than my Contender
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

As mentioned, it balances a bit better for field carry as it’s not barrel heavy. I prefer a center grip for hunting and a rear grip on the bench. 

Like a bullpup, it makes for a shorter overall firearm without compromising barrel length. 

It places the occular lense of the scope closer to the shooter and makes it easier to use a rifle scope. 

I have no idea what Knitepoet is talking about on bracing the “hump” of the grip on ones wrist/forearm. I’d never shoot one that way. Don’t even think I could. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    There will always be a market (even if it is small) for high end custom firearms.  

Would I buy One? No.

But, I wouldn’t buy a $20000 shotgun either.
    Zee said:
    As mentioned, it balances a bit better for field carry as it’s not barrel heavy. I prefer a center grip for hunting and a rear grip on the bench. 

Like a bullpup, it makes for a shorter overall firearm without compromising barrel length. 

It places the occular lense of the scope closer to the shooter and makes it easier to use a rifle scope. 

I have no idea what Knitepoet is talking about on bracing the “hump” of the grip on ones wrist/forearm. I’d never shoot one that way. Don’t even think I could. 
    Wouldn't that hump at the rear of the stock be closer to your elbow than your wrist? (Low hanging fruit; couldn't help myself) :D   Agree with everything else you said above that, though.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,864 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    There is nothing special about a Specialty Pistol. It’s half the material for twice the cost. The only odd ball is the trigger for a center grip. Otherwise, the are bending you over and giving you a big **** for no reason. 

Suck it, Nosler. I can build for less. 

This.

It's a CNC machined stock.  The program is already there.  Put a chunk of aluminum in and wait for it to be done.  Don't even have to worry about a grip.  Just screw on any AR15 grip.  Custom stock... check.

No doubt Shilen is making those barrels in batches for them.  Fit the barrel to the action and finish chambering it.  Custom barrel.... check

Like Zee said, the only odd ball really would be the trigger.  Not saying they don't look like they are nice SPs.  Just not at that price.

I can buy Lilja barrels for the XP-100 (15” finished length) for $195 as opposed to a 27” finished rifle length barrel for $354. 

Last I checked a few other companies sell pistol barrels for less that rifle barrels. 

So, it’s already cheaper to build a SP than it is a rifle. What gives?!?
    edited June 2018 #19
    Zee said:
    You don't have the "Ham Hands" and forearms I do either.

Edited:
    I just pulled my XP out of the safe, and I was incorrect, it doesn't reach my forearm, it barely passes my wrist, but I know for a fact it hits my wrist when shooting it one handed. (Didn't take me long to learn not to do that)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

cpj said:
    Zee said:
    I can buy Lilja barrels for the XP-100 (15” finished length) for $195 as opposed to a 27” finished rifle length barrel for $354. 

Last I checked a few other companies sell pistol barrels for less that rifle barrels. 

So, it’s already cheaper to build a SP than it is a rifle. What gives?!?
    Some folks aren’t aware you can have guns built. Some want to....buy it now. 
    I thought the inference that Nosler was making when’s they say “custom” bolt action handgun and the 4 month wait was that I would be having one built if I bought one....
    But since they are built on a stock that is made to spec by a computer program and have pre made Shilen barrels, they are nearly a production gun that one has to pay $2400 for and wait 4 months for. Lol
    NCH= Nosler Custom Handgun....You can choose the color Cerakote that you want. At a cost. Add a brake and fluting if you want. At an extra cost. Standard barrel length is 15”, but you can get 12-18” on request. At an extra cost.  Base price without fluting, brake or custom barrel length is $2495 and the website says 3-4 month wait. 

Thats is where I’m scratching my head. Cnc machine a chassis and cerakote it. Fit a pre made Shilen barrel and chamber it. Maybe screw a brake on it. It takes AR15 grips. Bam. Custom handgun for $2400+...
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    It will die a languishing death. Priced out of market. 
    I agree, an XP-100 on steroids with an out of this market price tag!  I don't see them selling many of them even at $1495.00 let alone their starting price of $2495.00! 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    does anyone else make a 'factory' center grip specialty pistol right now?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    Sounds like Savage needs to make a V2.0
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Not that I am aware of.

I HOPE someone on here knows of one/some I am unfamiliar with

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    I would think the trigger linkage would be problematical.  It's an interesting piece, whatever.  I don't plan on dumping a WHOLE lot of money on one.  Add a good scope to that price and you'll be in pretty deep.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Not 'factory' but they do make some nice ones.

https://www.bullberry.com/custom-bolt-actions

Savage quit making the Striker pistol a good while ago. Not really much call for specialty pistols.
    You've got some tools; get an undesignated bolt action of your choice and put together a center grip pistol. Getting the stock whittled out will be your biggest time eater, but you could do it.

― Douglas Adams
    edited June 2018 #29
    Not that I’m aware. So, they have cornered the market. 
    But, guns can be built for less if you shop judiciously for parts and find a gun builder not interested in rapping you. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

Savage quit making the Striker pistol a good while ago. Not really much call for specialty pistols.
    You've got some tools; get an undesignated bolt action of your choice and put together a center grip pistol. Getting the stock whittled out will be your biggest time eater, but you could do it.

I talked to Savage a month or so and the customer service gal said there was interest in doing some runs on Strikers from both customers and distributors, Savage is barely keeping up with rifle production and they don't want to slow down just for a limited run at this time, she was optimistic about it though.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    tennmike said:

I talked to Savage a month or so and the customer service gal said there was interest in doing some runs on Strikers from both customers and distributors, Savage is barely keeping up with rifle production and they don't want to slow down just for a limited run at this time, she was optimistic about it though.
    That is a Savage I would likely buy.