U.S. Owns More Than 40 Percent Of Civilian-Owned Firearms

NomadacNomadac Senior MemberPosts: 886 Senior Member

U.S. Owns More Than 40 Percent Of Civilian-Owned Firearms

A new report finds civilians in the United States own more guns than those in any other country holding nearly 40 percent of the estimated 857 million guns in private hands.

In a report released Monday, the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey says Americans own 393 million firearms more than the combined total owned in the survey’s other top 25 countries. The report comprises data collected during the past decade.

A new report finds civilians in the United States own more guns than those in any other country holding nearly 40 percent of the estimated 857 million guns in private hands.

In a report released Monday, the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey says Americans own 393 million firearms more than the combined total owned in the survey’s other top 25 countries. The report comprises data collected during the past decade.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good thing- - - - -if more civilians in other countries would follow suit, maybe they wouldn't have to try to come here- - - -just take care of business at home!
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,508 Senior Member
    The Japanese military hierarchy rejected an invasion of the U.S. mainland due to a "rifle being behind every blade of grass"! The brilliant second amendment protects us from all enemies foreign and domestic. It must stand!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,512 Senior Member
    Wow!
    We're 60% short.
    We'll get there someday.

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,454 Senior Member
    I'm skeptical on this if only for the fact that there's a black market for guns, and I don't believe other countries could report accurately.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,249 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 said:
    I'm skeptical on this if only for the fact that there's a black market for guns, and I don't believe other countries could report accurately.
    This
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,264 Senior Member
    Sounds like something a anti gun group would produce 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,251 Senior Member
    I suspect some chicanery in the data collection. You can't throw a rock in the African continent and not hit someone carrying an AK or something similar. The old USSR literally flooded the continent with AKs and other small arms, and they are still around. And more have been imported by various highly illegal means. And then there's the M.E. and all those AKs the Russians sold to them, or left, with their excursions in those areas. And China used to, and probably still does, sell lots of small arms worldwide. They keep their hands clean by transshipping through surrogates, and to think that a lot of those weapons don't fall into private hands is just ludicrous. (The U.S. has done that a lot, and only got caught doing so a few times.)
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    Sounds like a good thing- - - - -if more civilians in other countries would follow suit, maybe they wouldn't have to try to come here- - - -just take care of business at home!
    At least I'm trying to do my part, but budget restrictions and the commies are hard to overcome!
    If you wouldn't have such a nice country (Last trip to CO was awesome!) maybe we wouldn't consider moving over there! (Not even considering the gun issue).

Wonder if that data is considering only the small arms actually owned by the civilian population or also the guns currently stored/impounded for judicial/criminal reasons (That shouldn't be a small number), institutions' collections, permanently deactivated/obsolete firearms and weaponry in the hands of law enforcement. Usually those reports are HEAVILY biased towards the disarmament ideology and tend to pump up the figures to "shock and awe" the ignorant crowds and our political enemies.

tennmike said:
    I suspect some chicanery in the data collection. You can't throw a rock in the African continent and not hit someone carrying an AK or something similar. The old USSR literally flooded the continent with AKs and other small arms, and they are still around. And more have been imported by various highly illegal means. And then there's the M.E. and all those AKs the Russians sold to them, or left, with their excursions in those areas. And China used to, and probably still does, sell lots of small arms worldwide. They keep their hands clean by transshipping through surrogates, and to think that a lot of those weapons don't fall into private hands is just ludicrous. (The U.S. has done that a lot, and only got caught doing so a few times.)
    I agree 100% and suspect the fake news statisticians are using the original Geneva Convention definition of a military combatant as a uniformed military member of a sovereign nation. Civilians are non-combatants. ISIS, Al Quida, Hummus (sarcasm) and all the others are no longer classified as civilians. When I was in Bosnia (2000) the civilians were allowed to posses small arms. mostly AK-47s. The unorganized militia of the USA requires all able bodied male citizens and those officially trying to become citizens from the age of 17 to 45 to be members. subtract those and our civilian gun owners would certainly decrease. 

Antonio, if you happened to land somewhere in the southeastern USA, I just imagine you would fit right in- - - -once you acquired a 4 wheel drive pickup and a pair of bib overalls, we'd probably make you an honorary redneck!  That Colorado bunch is beginning to look way too much like Commiefornicators! 

LOL!

Jerry

Thanks Teach; love pickups....a Diesel Ram would be nice! Dunno about the overalls but looked cute in them when 5 (Last time I recall using them) so might give them another try!
    My pal in CO was complaining about the "hippiefication" of the State...seems like too many liberals have moved there carrying their pinko nonsense along. Still the views were amazing and the family had a blast.....never saw so many big game  animals running around in my life!

To contribute to the statistics issue, according to the local "BATF" there are over 300K registered firearms in civilian hands down here; of that amount, probably 40K are .38 revolvers (80%), .380 pistols and 12GA pump shotguns, all in hands of private armed security; another 20K or so belong to law enforcement and military personnel, mostly active, that own them as personal "off duty" weaponry. The rest are almost 90% single-shot shotguns used by peasants in rural areas for self defense and survival hunting, or .38 Special revolvers & .380ACP pistols owned by common citizens for HD, self-protection or CCWs. The remaining are all the other kinds of guns, like rimfire and centerfire rifles, etc.
    It's said that another 300,000 are unregistered guns, but based from my experience on the field, that's a hugely inflated number; maybe no more than 100,000 including makeshift guns, antiques and actual firearms, along with guns in the hands of criminals (Mostly handguns) and actually used in illegal activities like murder-by-contract, robberies (Mostly), terrorism, poaching and drug-related crimes.

State probably owns something in the vicinity of 100-150K firearms, mostly MBRs (FALs, Galils, AKMs, G-3s, etc.), assorted SMGs, MGs, 9mm. pistols and revolvers (Mostly law enforcement) along with a bunch of shotguns and various types of small arms.
    edited June 22 #13
    I don't see the hippiefication of Colorado nearly as much as I see a tidal wave of violent crime, criminally aggressive driving, and miserable congestion that turns almost any venture from home into a semi-dreaded ordeal.
    Are your "hippie" save the planet aggressive driver transplants now driving giant pickups and SUVs? Mine are. They are such selfish hypocrites.
    There's no predictable vehicle preference. Leaving the movie theater earlier today, there was a three car collision IN the parking lot.
    Sometimes it seems like running a car or a keyboard brings out the inner thug in a lot of people!
    Funny....from the every day 3rld. world "Wacky races" reality we come from (There's even a program made by NatGeo about it), both 9-hours drives from and to Denver from and to my pal's house, both time in winter working days & hours, was a true delight, with some of the best sightseeing views ever.

Still, when city traffic sucks, it does no matter where you are!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,165 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    Funny....from the every day 3rld. world "Wacky races" reality we come from (There's even a program made by NatGeo about it), both 9-hours drives from and to Denver from and to my pal's house, both time in winter working days & hours, was a true delight, with some of the best sightseeing views ever.

Still, when city traffic sucks, it does no matter where you are!
    When I moved from Puerto Rico to NewYork everyone told me to avoid driving in the city because the drivers were nuts and traffic was terrible.  The first time I drove in the City the thought that kept running through my mind was... "Rookies."
     B) 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Try Nashville from about 4:30 PM to 6:00 any day except maybe Sunday - - - - -we call it the "Redneck 500"!
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 said:
    That's a really good point
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    Sometimes it seems like running a car or a keyboard brings out the inner thug in a lot of people!
    Well said!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,251 Senior Member
    Another thing that keeps running through my mind is the fact that only a few states have anything resembling gun registration. There were a LOT of firearms sold from, say 1880 to 1968 that were 'off the books' as it were regarding the Form 4473, so no one REALLY knows how many serviceable firearms are out there in circulation. And I'd wager that there are several MILLION firearms out there, built by gunsmiths and home shop firearms enthusiasts that are floating around out there. And with the advent of the 80% receivers for AR rifles and several pistols, there's been a flood of those completed with no background checks done. And there are many pistols completed from partial (less than 80% receivers) that are out there, and more being completed daily. They can only guesstimate the number of private firearms in existence; they have no meaningful definitive way to say with any measure of certainty how many are REALLY out there in private hands. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, FOLKS! :)
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    Try Nashville from about 4:30 PM to 6:00 any day except maybe Sunday - - - - -we call it the "Redneck 500"!

Probably more like 3:00.  Its taken me over an hour to go the 2 miles from Vanderbilt to I65 only to sit still more.  I40 is no better.

"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician