Home Main Category General Firearms

Filled a hole in the Glock collection

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,247 Senior Member
Took advantage of the Glock Blue Label pricing for veterans promotion and picked up a gen5 G19. Put Ameriglo UC sights on it and have Talon grips on order. 

Pics to avoid fine:

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    That sight combination is about the best factory offering I've ever seen.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    My G20 is growing on me, I may "need" a 9 and a 40.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Excellent choice, and I really wish the Gen 5 had already been announced when I bought my Gen 4. I've been hemming and hawing, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gen5 G17, and it will actually wear that same sight set up but with a .120" front instead of a .140".
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Congrats!

Range report when you can.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,463 Senior Member
    Nice!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    I've since put the medium blackstrap with beaver tail on it. Nice options Glock is including in the gen5 for backstraps. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,025 Senior Member
    I handled the Gen 5 19 because I really want another 19 after selling mine 20 years ago or so. 

But, I came to find out, I like the finger grooves on the 19/23 size frame and the smooth grip on the 17/22 size frame. 

Damn. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Nice
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Nice pipe.  I think it's the right pistol in the right caliber.  I wish I had one!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Zee said:
    I handled the Gen 5 19 because I really want another 19 after selling mine 20 years ago or so. 

But, I came to find out, I like the finger grooves on the 19/23 size frame and the smooth grip on the 17/22 size frame. 

Damn. 
    Plenty of gen4 G19s to be had. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,025 Senior Member
    Yeah. I really like yours for everything else but the smooth grip, though. Guess I’ll have to go Gen 4. 

Good on you though!  Like your gun. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,864 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #13
    I like the grip on the gen 5s. Feels like a shorter reach to the trigger to me. And I like the flared magwell and the radius on the front of the slide. They also charged the barrels. They have a recessed crown and different rifling. I’ll let the prices come down some and get me a G17
    edited June 2018 #14
    The ambi slide stop lever is a “meh” for me. But having it there is fine with me. They also did away with the leaf spring under the slide lock and went with a coil spring. I’ve never had one of them leaf springs break, but apparently it’s known to happen. 
    Be aware that there has been some talk of ammo problems in the gen 5. I was told it’s due to tighter tolerances on the Glock chamber and looser tolerances with the ammo companies trying to crank out ammo as fast as possible. I’m to understand that Hornady was one of the manufactures involved and will swap out certain lots with new ammo if asked. But I have no first hand experience at this point. 
    Zee said:
    Yeah. I really like yours for everything else but the smooth grip, though. Guess I’ll have to go Gen 4. 

Good on you though!  Like your gun. 
    I handled both before buying and it was a really tough decision. Almost want to get a gen4 also...
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I have the Gen3. Been looking hard at the Gen5. Some people swear by the Gen3 over the Gen5. I'm still researching it. Congrats on getting one.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    Polymer 80...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Damn. 

On my Gen 4 19 I don't even notice the finger grooves. On the 17, similar to how you've mentioned, I much prefer no grooves and it almost makes it a completely different gun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #21
    I don't have a hole in my Glock collection cause I don't own any Glocks.

Been tempted a few times, but always chose something else. Fired a few over the years, they work and work well, but none sent a tingling sensation up my leg.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I can't imagine discovering a hole that needed a Glock to fill. But I'm happy for you.  B)
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    edited June 2018 #23
    I can't imagine discovering a hole that needed a Glock to fill. But I'm happy for you.  B)
    Hmmmmmmmm what rhymes with Glock..............

Sorry, I wuz as pure as driven snow before joining this forum...........
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Damn. 
    The internet is forever.  You have now admitted to liking finger grooves.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.