Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger American Ranch Rifle - 5.56

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,024 Senior Member
edited June 2018 in General Firearms #1

5.56 Chamber
1-8 Twist
16” Threaded Sporter Barrel 
Accepts AR Magazines

All those aspects combined led me to purchase this rifle. 

I added:

Surefire Brake
Leupold Rifleman Rings
Sinclair Anti-Cant Level
Leupold 3-9x Scope
Unigear Cheek Rest ($12 from Amazon)

Cleaned and lapped the barrel last night and hit the range this morning to test various factory loads at 100 yards. 

62gr Winchester OT Training Ammo

62gr Federal Fusion

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,024 Senior Member
    77gr Sierra OTM

edited June 2018 #3
    Ended up zeroing for the 64gr Speer Gold Dot.  To use the Sierra, I just have to come down 1 MOA and right 1/2 MOA. 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Enlighten me on the parallax adjustability???

I like the rifle.
    Needs a sling maybe?
    The trigger came factory set at 4.5 lbs and I was able to adjust it down to 3.0 lbs. 

Still heavier than I like and maybe changed some day to a Timney I hear they offer. 

When you are use ro less.......it seems an eternity for a 3lb Trigger to break. 

There were no failures  to feed or eject and everything seemed to work well. Cheek rest afforded the right height for a sight picture, was comfortable, and can hold an additional 10 round Mag with doom for ear plugs as well. 

This should be a good “walking” gun for my boy. 

The bolt is rough and clunky.  By no means a smooth operation and difficult to manipulate in my normal method with remingtons. It ain’t smooth and takes some effort. Basically, ya gotta man handle it. Really my only gripe. 

The barrel wasnt free floating out of out of the box. I had to take the action out of the stock (to adjust the trigger) and really manipulate the action in the stock when tightening the screws to get it off the left side of the Forend. When says.......there is too much play in the “bedding”. Gonna fix that some day. But, I was able to torque to 65inch pounds and keep it from touching. 

The metal finish is rough and the stock is a typical POS. 

But, it is a budget rifle with the right twist, threaded barrel length, that takes AR mags. 

I can can make it work for what I want it to do. 

Enlighten me on the parallax adjustability???

I like the rifle.
    Needs a sling maybe?
    This scope does not have a parallax adjustment. Just an ocular fast Focus. 

I have and would probably use a Super Sling on this rifle. 
    I see.
    Excuse the pun.

Maybe the bolt will smooth up a bit. They way you and your son shoot, it may not be needed much.🎯
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    It's funny to me what each person thinks of as a 'ranch rifle.' Having known several men who worked on ranches or farms, the most useful one I remember was an H&R Handi-Rifle .243 with a Simmons scope on it. It looked like hell, was scuffed and scraped from bouncing around in a pickup on rough ground, and it had primarily been used for putting down injured or sick livestock and killing an occasional varmint (hogs, mostly) at fairly close range. I was very impressed to see the guy shoot a coyote with it, at something over 200 yards.

I'm pretty impressed with this one. It is no great beauty, but is very functional and a few bumps and scrapes will probably only enhance your fondness for it. For a guy who has so many excellent firearms, you will probably enjoy this one more than some of those that consistently shoot bullets into the same hole.
    Ranch Rifle
    Definition;

Whatever the rancher grabs on the way out the door😄
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    I am really wishing that had been available when I bought the Mossberg MVP

nice rifle!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    I consider that a great gun out of the box.  Really like your add ons.  Well Done
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj said:
    Don’t do this because it’s dangerous and stuff. 

Remove the trigger return spring. Major improvement. Trigger still  returns. 
    We may have to discuss this further. 
    I am really wishing that had been available when I bought the Mossberg MVP

nice rifle!
    This is what I’ve been holding out for. I was tempted by the Mossberg when it came out. But handling them kept me wanting. 

While this rifle is far is far from perfect, it meets the needs as defined and will suit the purpose. 
    Ranch Rifle
    Definition;

Whatever the rancher grabs on the way out the door😄
    The irony being that, the gun which pushed me in my search........is the ranch rifle my friend carries with him daily in his ATV on the ranch. 

It’s a handy custom built Savage in .223 Remington. What I liked was how short and light it was. Easy to grab off the gun rack and put to use on a target of opportunity. 

Wayching my boy use it on on several occasions made me think.......I needed something like it. 
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    That’s a nice rig.  The rough bolt seems to be a thing with Rugers; my Hawkeye International feels like shifting an old Willys after shooting my buddy’s Rem 700.

I think I’ll see if my smith can smooth it out a bit...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Looks pretty handy!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    If it's a thing with Rugers, it hasn't always been so. My old 77 tang safety action is smooth as glass, and my older 77 Varminter was equally as smooth.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like the looks of that one. I imagine your boy will be running that rifle better than a lot of folks could. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
     Nice, looks like it’s a shooter too!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Looks ready to kill something
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    How secure is 223 ammo in the loops?

Description in your link says "6 round ammo carrier  for .308 or .300 winmag"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I’m not using the loops. I put a 20rnd Mag in the pouch. 
    edited June 2018 #24
    I have two of them, now. I can’t vouch for their longevity. But, for $10..........they are pretty acceptable so far. 
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I like it.  I have a Marlin 30-06 XL7 that needs a cheek rest to lift it a bit.

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    I like it despite the "cheap" metal finish and stock you mention (I find them fine for a budget gun). Flush magazine seems better for walking around the woods with a bolt action rifle but having a removable high-capacity option is good, since you can choose what to use in particular situations.
    Good accuracy....another "Pig slayer"? Have heard only praises for this model; local importer will have them in its showroom soon, so will be looking to check them out better.
    Yes. They can be removed. 
    edited June 2018 #28
    I am actually going to get some Velcro and stick it on my stock right below receiver. Then, velcro the loops with rounds right below the ejection port. 

Easy Peasy single loading.  
    The boy’s first time shooting the Ruger. Not bad for a first time. 

5 shot group at 100 yrds. The one on the right got away from him on the last shot. 

Great shooting!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    @Zee your boy has become quite the rifleman. I know grown men that have shot their entire life and can not do better. You taught him well, a difficult task for a parent. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5