Apologies to Paul (Knitepoet)........Its taken a while.......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,603 Senior Member
Last year Paul sent me a Knife which he made. Unfortunately due to circumstances I didnt have the chance to 'blood' it until now.

Here is a pic of the knife as it looks now...........

As you can see, there is blood on it...........Some of its mine, cos I sliced open my thumb with it and some of it is from the Fallow spiker I was field dressing at the time!!!

I now consider it well and truly blooded..........lol.

Headed up to Bloodhounds forestry block to have a wander. Some of the pines had been harvested earlier this year and, as they are going to be replanted in a couple of weeks the object was to cull as many bucks and spikers to minimise damage to the seedlings, ( Bucks will destroy seedlings by rubbing their antlers when they are in velvet)

First dilemma was deciding which rifle to take.........Passed over the 222, 243, 7mm08.........and picked out the Howa in 204 figuring it needed an outing. Bh went with his trusty Sako Vixen in 222.

Unloaded the quads and headed into the block. As we rode through the cutover I saw 3 peacocks 'heading for the hills'.
After stopping the bike , untying my rifle bag and getting the Howa out, finding the suppressor and screwing it on then finding the ammo, they were halfway back up the hill before I was ready. Using the bike as a rest I managed to send 2 45gr sp's on the way and dropped them both.
Here is a pic taken from the birds looking back downhill to the quads........

Magnificent looking birds and while their tails lacked their full plumage, they still looked spectacular. Here is a closeup of an 'eye'........
I will be hand plucking the tails and selling the feathers to local florists........currently they are going for up to $3.00 each and there are between 30-50 on each bird.....

After parking the bikes I dragged out the M1 Carbine to run a few rounds through it...........actually, more than a few. Sent about 40 rounds down range at various sticks and clumps of earth. Will post up a separate report about that.

It was getting late so we headed out to find a deer or two.

We split up after making plans and while I climbed up through the pines, Bh headed up a ridge about 80 metres away. When I reached the head of the gully I poked my head over the opposite ridge and scanned the area. Not seeing anything I continued to move to the crest to increase my view..........then I noticed a deer looking object that was hidden under the ridge.........As I raised the Howa to check it out it got up and ran along with a doe. I watched it until it disappeared, thinking I had blown it.......but the gods were smiling as they both did a big circle going out of my sight for a few minutes before reappearing heading up the gully I had just walked.

They must have scented Bh cos they turned and came up the hill towards me heading for the thick native bush. Mindfull of BH and where he was I let them continue until I was sure he was well away from my line of fire, and when they stopped I drew a bead on the yearling spiker and sent a 45gr sp into his neck.....just as he moved. I heard the hit but he ran about 15-20 metres before hitting the bush line and going from sight. I walked over and found fur and blood where he was standing and followed the blood trail to where he had gone into the bush. Bh joined me and we continued to follow the blood trail over a ridge and as we entered the bush Bh saw him about 20 metres down a bank. As I climbed down to him he tried to get up so Bh sent a 55 gr psp into his head to finish him off.

Now I finally get to 'blood' Pauls gift. As I started to open him up,I managed to get my left thumb in the way and sliced it open.....That wasnt exactly how I intended to blood the knife ..........Lol.

The knife performed flawlessly and was easy to wield...........and razor sharp I might add. I normally carry 2 knives with me, one for opening the body and a much thinner slim profile blade for severing its anus.........but this knife did both tasks with ease.

Many thanks for the kind gift Paul, it will be standard equipment in my pack from now on and I look forward to using it in future.

Note to self: It is possible to have too much scope. The Howa has a 6-18 Leupold and at 45m the field of view is too small. My shot severed the windpipe and the major neck arteries causing a large blood trail but missed the neck bone.The movement as I fired was the spiker turning his head to look back at Bh. Next time I decide to use a 204 for 'close' hunting I will take the Ruger with its 4-12 power scope and leave the Howa in the safe.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    Oh man that guy comes in handy even when he's not there in person. A lot to be said of someone.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,224 Senior Member
    Well, my friend, I have mixed feeling about this...

On the one hand, I am ecstatic that you finally got to use it and it worked well,
    on the other, I am sorry it worked so well on your own thumb :(

I hope it serves you well, the blade is D2, so it should hold up to most "normal" usage with aplomb.

Concerning the delay.... no worries, I understand that life gets in the way of "fun" some times.

Use it in good health :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,117 Senior Member
    Beautiful birds and knife 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited June 24 #5
    orchidman said:

The knife performed flawlessly and was easy to wield...........and razor sharp I might add.
    You expected me to send you a "butter knife"????? (Might have been safer) ROTFLMAO

There are 2 kinds of knives in my world, "Razor sharp" and "needs sharpening"

And since I forgot to tell you in my first post, You are quite welcome my friend :beer:

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

IIRC, this is the one in the pic, pre-blood and before I finished the scales. I just wiped them with a damp cloth to bring out the figuring for these pics

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,004 Senior Member
    Ow-wow-wow-wow-WOOOooooW!!

Knice knife!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,355 Senior Member
    Nice peacocks! Do you eat them? There are a few feral peafowl running around here. They are so freaking loud, my neighbors and I have vowed IPA's to anyone who kills them. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,603 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    Nice peacocks! Do you eat them? There are a few feral peafowl running around here. They are so freaking loud, my neighbors and I have vowed IPA's to anyone who kills them. 
    Peacocks come from the same family as Pheasants and taste similar depending on their food source. Their flesh, especially the breast meat is tasty and lends itself to all forms of cooking.  I have even sliced breast meat thinly and prepared it like schnitzel. Very yummy.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 763 Senior Member
    Great yarn Orchidman, exceptionally nice knife.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    edited June 27 #11
    Interesting about peacocks, in Coral Gables they had video of a guy grabbing one and taking off in a truck, made the news for 3 days. Shoot one and eat it here and they would lock you up. Schnitzel huh? Yum
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    Nice Knife. Also, I've often wondered about Peacock, whether it would be like turkey or some fowl. But like Ron mentioned I don't want to eat it looking through bars. I'll have to come down your way sometime to try it I guess.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Okay, I admit I'm confused about shooting peacocks being a crime. In Idaho, they are classified as a farm animal or feral. If the animal is feral, they are invasive and not protected at all. If a farm animal is not on its farm, it is also fair game. 

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL said:
    Okay, I admit I'm confused about shooting peacocks being a crime. In Idaho, they are classified as a farm animal or feral. If the animal is feral, they are invasive and not protected at all. If a farm animal is not on its farm, it is also fair game. 
    Coral Gables is a super high end old community in Miami.  There are several Peacocks that roam the community. Some hate them because they scream night and day, crap all over houses and cars and make a mess.
    Of course everyone has security cams on their house.  Well somedude was seen on cam chasing and finally catching a peacock, tucked it under his arm and held it by the neck so it wouldn't bite.  He jumped in a pick up and took off.  The way they carried on about it on the news, you would have thought he snatched a kid.  Three days later they tracked him down and found the Peacock. It was returned and probably still roams one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Miami.  Not sure if dude was charged or not.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,004 Senior Member
    Sort of like the chickens in Key West  - illegal to harass or kill. Even though they're a non-native invasive species. Makes zero sense. The wild mustangs out west - same deal.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    Nice pics. I had a bandaid on a finger within an hour of him giving me a knife. B) Very razor sharp I might add.
    zorba said:
    Sort of like the chickens in Key West  - illegal to harass or kill. Even though they're a non-native invasive species. Makes zero sense. The wild mustangs out west - same deal.
    Same with the burros in the San Bernadinos...invasive and destroying Bighorn sheep habitat. But they are equine and protected. 

Ayn Rand
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,280 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:
    Same with the burros in the San Bernadinos...invasive and destroying Bighorn sheep habitat. But they are equine and protected. 
    Reintroduce some timber wolves.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:
    That will do the trick...when the slow burros are gone, the wolves will eat the Bighorns. 

Ayn Rand
    Alec I envy your ability to get out of the house and into the woods per say as often as you do, and the skills you have to be so productive when you do.  I am so looking forward to visiting your homeland in the near future.
    BTW  nice knife
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,220 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:
    That will do the trick...when the slow burros are gone, the wolves will eat the Bighorns. 
    I thought the mountain lions were the real problem with the Bighorn sheep. The cats are protected, and so are the sheep, and the cats are making the sheep disappear really fast.

Orchidman, sounds like you had a fun hunt even if you did let your thumb get in the way. That should be a tasty little buck!

Regarding those peacock feathers, you might make more NZ$$$$ selling them to the trout fishermen. Those tail feathers are high dollar fly tying material over here; don't see why it wouldn't be the same over there. Here's a place that sells the stuff and pricing to give you an idea of what the stuff goes for:
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/fly-tying-feathers-other

You could probably make some money on the duck and goose feathers, too.

I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

Nice pics. I had a bandaid on a finger within an hour of him giving me a knife. B) Very razor sharp I might add.

knitepoet said:
    There are 2 kinds of knives in my world, "Razor sharp" and "needs sharpening"

Sorry Terminator

tennmike said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:
    I thought the mountain lions were the real problem with the Bighorn sheep. The cats are protected, and so are the sheep, and the cats are making the sheep disappear really fast.

Mountain lions are the current predator for sheep, but the burros are wrecking habitat driving the sheep to shrinking water and graze. Easy pickings for the lions. Drop in some hypothetical wolves and the sheep will be gone. Woodland caribou in N. Idaho are a perfect example. The species was struggling when the wolves were (re)introduced. The last biological count was three females. They are screwed. 

Ayn Rand
    tennmike said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:

Mountain lions are the current predator for sheep, but the burros are wrecking habitat driving the sheep to shrinking water and graze. Easy pickings for the lions. Drop in some hypothetical wolves and the sheep will be gone. Woodland caribou in N. Idaho are a perfect example. The species was struggling when the wolves were (re)introduced. The last biological count was three females. They are screwed. 

Ayn Rand
    tennmike said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:

Ayn Rand
    tennmike said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:

Ayn Rand
    tennmike said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:

Ayn Rand
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,280 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:

I bet the wolves will find easier pickins' than Bighorns.
    I was being facetious, give the bunny huggers a pack O' predators vs. a cat here and there. I bet a burro would give some wolves a run for their money.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CaliFFL said:
    zorba said:

I bet the wolves will find easier pickins' than Bighorns.
    I was being facetious, give the bunny huggers a pack O' predators vs. a cat here and there. I bet a burro would give some wolves a run for their money.
    Wow, what's with the multi-post? I've seen doubles before but damn!

Ayn Rand
    quadruple tap

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    You guys have a such an incredible variety of critters to hunt out there.  Very beautiful knife that Paul made for you.  Mind the edge!  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.