Americans Have Bought More Guns In the Past Two Months Than Our Military Has On Hand

Replies

• NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 872 Senior Member

NICS Firearm Checks: Month/Year

Statistics representing the number of firearms background checks initiated through the NICS from November 1998 to May 31, 2018.
    See note on bottom of chart

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    Lets see, .4% of Americans are in all branches of the Military.  That means that 99.6% are civilians, the numbers do not seem too out of line when you look at it like that.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    That's more like it.👍

Way better than the tiny little 40% of the world.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Well, let's see......civilians are tax payers.....so we bought the military their guns too.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,624 Senior Member
    Looks like from that PDF that 289,810,007 checks were made in that time period. That's a good thing. I tried to do my part during that period. :D :D :D
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    I would guess that the number of guns bought is actually a tiny bit higher as some of us occasionally buy more than one gun at a time and a multiple gun purchase only requires one check.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,016 Senior Member
    Ok, sitting at work talking about this. I had a question asked I could not answer.

They do a back ground check and you are denied the gun. Does this still count as a back ground check in those statistics. If so there would be less guns sold than the checks taken.
    Pass or fail, a NICS check is a NICS check and is counted.

Here's a FBI website that explains the whole mess, from the FFL holder point of view.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/about-nics

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,039 Senior Member
    Nomadac said:
    Americans Have Bought More Guns In the Past Two Months Than Our Military Has On Hand.

And
    I have a need for speed
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,046 Senior Member
    Ok, sitting at work talking about this. I had a question asked I could not answer.

They do a back ground check and you are denied the gun. Does this still count as a back ground check in those statistics. If so there would be less guns sold than the checks taken.
    I don't really know. What I do know is that I have purchased multiple firearms under one background check. Then there are private sales that do not get a federal check.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Business is booming📈
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,039 Senior Member
    What about no checks done if Ya have a CCW permit?
    I have a need for speed
    Then there is the fact that there is only about a dozen or so guns in actual existence and we are only buying, selling, and trading that dozen among ourselves and have been doing it for decades-- generating a background check every single time.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    Then there is the fact that there is only about a dozen or so guns in actual existence and we are only buying, selling, and trading that dozen among ourselves and have been doing it for decades-- generating a background check every single time.
    That was supposed to be a secret
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,016 Senior Member
    One thing about this place. All angles will get covered. 
    edited June 27 #17
    Question. If you tried to sell a gun to yourself and had a LGS do the background check and you failed, who takes possession of the firearm you tried to sell to yourself? :#

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,088 Senior Member

I bought 30 Turk Mausers back when they were $29.95 apiece.  They had to use two 4473's because back then there was only room to list 20 guns on one sheet.  I guess that qualified as "two BG checks"? 

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 872 Senior Member
    I don't really know. What I do know is that I have purchased multiple firearms under one background check. Then there are private sales that do not get a federal check.
    If a person sold a firearm in a private sale this would not impact the number of guns in total, as the original background check is the trigger for # of guns. Otherwise you could buy the original gun and have a background check that would count, if you sold it to another person and he sold it to another person the count would still be one as there was only one gun in the total as 3 sales of the same gun.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,995 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Question. If you tried to sell a gun to yourself and had a LGS do the background check and you failed, who takes possession of the firearm you tried to sell to yourself? :#
    I would say your x GF or x wife. ( They take everything else )
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,995 Senior Member
    Nomadac said:
    If a person sold a firearm in a private sale this would not impact the number of guns in total, as the original background check is the trigger for # of guns. Otherwise you could buy the original gun and have a background check that would count, if you sold it to another person and he sold it to another person the count would still be one as there was only one gun in the total as 3 sales of the same gun.
    Selling guns ? I thought we just buy them & keep them for ever.
    ( Maybe that's just me )
    Nomadac said:
    On the flip side of that, and a wild exaggeration with my "dozen" statement in a previous post sort of gets at, is that a single firearm can generate multiple background checks. A good example is when I sent Zee my .338 Federal to dial in and do work on. Since we are in different states and I had to ship it to him, I had to ship it to his FFL where they had to run a background on him. When he sent it back, it had to go to my FFL where I had to have another background check. This was in addition to the background check I had to purchase it when it was new from the factory.

That one rifle generated 3 background checks in less than 2 months!
    NN said:

They still do a check, you just don't have a waiting period.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,293 Senior Member

Even if that was the case it would not move the needle much.  Most folks that can’t oass the background check do not try to buy through legitimate methods. 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Also there are many states where a CC license excludes you from the background check (NC being an example, I don’t have to go through one when I buy a gun at an LGS).  So I believe the number is short by potentially millions countrywide.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    NN said:

Not in many states, see above...
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,003 Senior Member
    NN said:

Not in North Dakota ether.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    No background ck here in MS with a CC permit
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    edited June 29 #29
    Or AL.  But you do fill out the form.  Not sure if they report it to NICS or not.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    NN said:

I assumed that was a federal law. Here in Florida, you still have to have a background check but you don't have a waiting period with a handgun purchase.
    NN said:

I assumed that was a federal law. Here in Florida, you still have to have a background check but you don't have a waiting period with a handgun purchase.
    Not a federal level law.  Actually I'm surprised.  I still have an active FL CC License and really don't recall having to do a background check when I lived in FL but then again that was a while back and it's not like I was paying a lot of attention.

Oooooh, I just looked it up.  So Florida has TWO checks that they do at the same time.  They do not call the feds directly they call FDLE (in-state "point of contact" agency) which does a two step check, Florida local databases AND NICS.  So if you have a CC License they skip the state check but are still required to do the federal under FL law.  But that is a state requirement not a Federal requirement. 

Here is a more thorough explanation of the Federal requirements and NC law which I believe is pretty much the same in many other states.

Federal law requires federally licensed firearms dealers (but not private sellers) to initiate a background check on the purchaser prior to sale of a firearm. Federal law provides states with the option of serving as a state “point of contact” and conducting their own background checks using state, as well as federal, records and databases, or having the checks performed by the FBI using only the federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) database. (Note that state files are not always included in the federal database.)

North Carolina is a partial point of contact state for NICS. In North Carolina, firearms dealers must contact the FBI to process the background check required by federal law if the firearm being transferred is a long gun. If the firearm being transferred is a handgun, the seller (regardless of whether or not he or she is a firearms dealer) must verify that the purchaser holds either a permit to purchase a handgun or a concealed weapons permit.1  Both of these permits are issued by the local sheriff after a background check.2  For further information about the background checks involved in issuing these permits, see the North Carolina Licensing of Gun Purchasers or Owners and North Carolina Concealed Weapons Permitting sections.

Federal law does not require dealers to conduct a background check if a firearm purchaser presents a state permit to purchase or possess firearms that meets certain conditions.3 As a result, holders of permits to purchase handguns and concealed weapons permits in North Carolina are exempt from the federal background check requirement.4 (Note, however, that people who have become prohibited from possessing firearms may continue to hold state permits to purchase or permit firearms – and pass background checks – if the state fails to remove these permits in a timely fashion.)

Private sellers (sellers who are not licensed dealers) are not required to conduct background checks when transferring a long gun in North Carolina, although federal and state laws prohibiting certain persons from purchasing or possessing firearms still apply. See the North Carolina Private Sales section.