Worst Rifle (civilian) ever made?

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,266 Senior Member
    The Winchester Model 88 (lever action) was an immediate classic that continues to appreciate in value and delight it’s owners.  It’s brother, the semi-auto Model 100 was a fragile and finicky eater that can be found cheap all over the place...

Everyone who's been paying attention knows how I feel about the 88s.  However, the only person I knew who had a model 100 complained of it jamming on him.  That's really all I know about it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,170 Senior Member
    Tugar said:
    Taurus makes a copy of the old Colt Lightning in 357 mag and 45 Colt. Jut saying. 

I actually have one of those in 45 colt that came from my dads collection. While not near as nicely finished as say the Uberti copies, it functions fine and is decently accurate and fun to shoot.

Sako
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,011 Senior Member
    Tugar said:
    Taurus makes a copy of the old Colt Lightning in 357 mag and 45 Colt. Jut saying. 

Damn.  Hopefully, they have quality control.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    The Winchester Model 88 (lever action) was an immediate classic that continues to appreciate in value and delight it’s owners.  It’s brother, the semi-auto Model 100 was a fragile and finicky eater that can be found cheap all over the place...

Everyone who's been paying attention knows how I feel about the 88s.  However, the only person I knew who had a model 100 complained of it jamming on him.  That's really all I know about it.
    Not a huge fan club for the model 100 out there.  There is one locally on Armslist that started at $450 and it's down to $400 already with no takers.  Probably not the WORST rifle ever made, just an example of a poor design as Winchester just took a GREAT design (the 88) and cobbled together semi-auto works around it.  I've never met one that was either accurate or reliable, and as I said they tend to be fragile and of course there are precious few spare parts out there to repair them with so...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,880 Senior Member
    I've got drawers full of parts to fix 742's and 100's!:)
    Big Al1 said:
    I've got drawers full of parts to fix 742's and 100's!:)
    Well if the 100 hits $300 I might buy it just to see how it works  B)
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,024 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    i don't think i've ever had a bad rifle.  I can't remember one I've regretted owning, at least. 
    Let me help you out in that department and sell you my wife's Savage 64.  :D
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    Wasn’t mine technically, but my best friend’s mid-80s Marlin 336 had a trigger around 48 pounds, and shot patterns as opposed to groups.  Horrible rifle.  

He gave it to a cousin as I recall.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    I may be in he minority but I bought my wife a 10 22 that has turned her off and has soured me on them as well. I have never been able to get a mag full through it without jamming. I keep hoping it will break in and start working but she has lost interest in shooting it. I know there are many ruger fans but this and my ex father in laws 7mm mag with that skeleton stock that I zeroed in for him has not made me a big fan. 
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    I may be in he minority but I bought my wife a 10 22 that has turned her off and has soured me on them as well. I have never been able to get a mag full through it without jamming. I keep hoping it will break in and start working but she has lost interest in shooting it. I know there are many ruger fans but this and my ex father in laws 7mm mag with that skeleton stock that I zeroed in for him has not made me a big fan. 
    Hey dummmy, call Ruger.  
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • GilaGila Posts: 612 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Anyone with a monte carlo stock
    Both my Winchester model 70 and Remington model 700 have Monte Carlo stocks.  Just saying...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Does that happen with all magazines?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Remington 710?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CurmudgionCurmudgion Posts: 2 New Member
    horselips said:
    Wasn't it the Ruger Deerfield .44 magnum that was so stupidly designed that it had to come with a leather shroud to go around your scope to protect it from elected shells banging into it. It went out of production somewhat quickly as I recall. 
    I owned (gave it to my son) a Ruger Deer Stalker for years.  Five digit serial#.
    Paid about $110. for it in the early 60's..
    That rifle wore a scope for its entire life, never saw any damage to the scope due to ejection.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    horselips said:
    Wasn't it the Ruger Deerfield .44 magnum that was so stupidly designed that it had to come with a leather shroud to go around your scope to protect it from elected shells banging into it. It went out of production somewhat quickly as I recall. 
    I owned (gave it to my son) a Ruger Deer Stalker for years.  Five digit serial#.
    Paid about $110. for it in the early 60's..
    That rifle wore a scope for its entire life, never saw any damage to the scope due to ejection.
    After that model was discontinued, Ruger introduced a new rendition that utilized their proprietary rotary magazine in place of the original tube magazine. A slight change in the empty cartridge ejection in this new rendition directed the spent cases at any telescopic sight attached. Ruger's fix was the referenced leather scope cover. 

I used one of the original carbines to take my first deer in Michigan in the mid 1970's. Both rifles are exceptionally well designed for negotiating thick brush and quickly dispatching game bigger than the uninitiated may expect, and are a tribute to the intuitive thinking of Bill Ruger.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    I know people that own 740s and 742s that think they're the greatest thing since Ice Cream. But they are usually strictly weekend warrior type hunters that shoot their rifles 5 times a year whether they need to or not. My brother in law has one in 30-06. He bought it used back in the 70s and has killed quite a few deer with it. He never complains of jams. However, he is not what we would consider an avid shooter. He shoots enough to get it pie plate accurate and then only shoots at game. That rifle is old now and still functions perfectly. But from hearing the stories on here I would never buy one because I shoot about 10 times more per year than any of those people.

Then there's those I know that have owned one and you couldn't give em another one because they were jamomatics.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    I've not had a 742 jam on me. I will give credit where credit is due....But. It was very late in the evening, no deer were coming through, and this one particular toadstool at about 150 yards had been pestering me all afternoon. It bothered me enough that I decided to shoot it. Missed. Oh well...climbed down out of the stand and walked back to the truck. Dropped the magazine, and went to unload the chamber. Uhoh....no charging handle. Live round in the chamber....not a good thing inside a single cab truck, or inside of anything for that matter. What to do....what to do? Easy....pop the round off in the nearest ditch. Did that and was immediately lit up by the brightest lights I've ever seen. I never noticed the Game Wardens truck parked 50 yards behind mine. He was a bit happy at catching a nighttime poacher, but was really good about it once he understood the mechanics of the situation. I hate 742's for a lot of reasons. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    Remington 710/770

Basically built to last 1 (if you're lucky) season 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    Does that happen with all magazines?   I only have the mag it came with and if it doesn't get better it will go back to Ruger. 

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,210 Senior Member
    Does that happen with all magazines?   I only have the mag it came with and if it doesn't get better it will go back to Ruger. 

I've had BRAND NEW Ruger 10 shot rotary magazines do that jam-o-matic act. With mine, it was insufficient spring tension in the magazine. There are YouTube videos on how to do the magazine tension adjustment. I can do it, but I suck at giving directions on how to do it.

Here's a Brownell's video that shows how to disassemble and clean the magazine. It needs to be lubricated after cleaning before reassembling.

I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,473 Senior Member
    Pre-64 Winchester 70's, Remington 700's, and Ruger 77's.

Pure crap!
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Had someone said worst shotgun, it would have to been the Win. Mod 1200.  I threatened to leave a couple in the woods but would have got fined for littering.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    Pre-64 Winchester 70's...

Pure crap!
    Somewhere there’s a group gathering pitchforks and torches...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member

Pure crap!
    Lets not forget the Mauser 98, 03, Sako, or BRNO, all pure junk.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member

Pure crap!
    Huh? WTH!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    LMLarsen said:
    Pre-64 Winchester 70's...

Pure crap!
    Somewhere there’s a group gathering pitchforks and torches...
    Nah, he drank his own wine...  we’ll just wait till he sobers up...
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Remington 710?
    Some of the 710s shot surprisingly well for being a pressed-in action fit to a super cheap, injection molded stock.  Worst part of that deal was the trigger guard being a thin part of said molded stock that broke very easily rather than a separate piece.  I know of at least one guy who broke it off in the field, rendering the gun completely unsafe for future hunts.  Since the entire action and stock were mated all but permanently during manufacturing, the gun was basically a club from that point forward.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,999 Senior Member
    Nothing a bit of plumber's tape and a couple of sheet metal screws couldn't fix...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,266 Senior Member

Pure crap!

Rabble rouser.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,473 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

Pure crap!
    Huh? WTH!
    In order to go fishing, you need bait.