Home Main Category General Firearms

Cartridge Display

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,295 Senior Member
I've been collecting cartridges for years with the plan to one day display them.  A couple of years ago I found what I call a "printer's tray". It's a segmented tray that typesetters used. I need some suggestions: 

1. I've thought about painting the background maroon so the cartridges will show up more. Its gonna be tedious to paint all of the sections.  Do you think it'll look ok if I leave it as is?

2. What glue/adhesive should I use to hold the cartridges in place? 

3. Should I de-mil the cartridges? The vast majority are less than 40 yrs old.  However I do have an intact .44 Henry Rimfire

I'm thinking I'll use a Dremel set on a low speed to polish the cartridges(not the Henry).  I think I'll get a labelmaker to make a label for each cartridge to mount in the back of each space.

The tray is 32"x17".  I placed a .223 case in one section for scale.

I appreciate your help!!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,670 Senior Member
    If you want to paint it, there's a new thing called "Spray Paint", or "Rattle Can" in the vernacular. Works great for things like this - you can find it at most hardware stores!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    Really? Well I'll be! What will they think of next?!?!?!?

Seriously, I don't want to paint the dividers, just the back. I can do it, it'll just be tedious and I'm not as "steady " as I need to be.
    If that's the case, can you take the back off in a reasonable fashion? Probably not, would be my guess...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I looked earlier. It's tacked/nailed on. And they were very liberal with their use of tacks.

I think I might put some cartridges in it to see how it looks without paint.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    Did something similar with mine.

Didn't think about double-sided tape. I'll look into that. And the felt.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #8
    Ingenious idea....do not demil the cartridges and don't polish them either....
    Ruins the collectors value...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I just happened to find it in an antique shop 2-3 yrs ago. 
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I did that kind of thing with some stuff I liked. I put foam in each pocket to move things forward , Then covered the foam with cloth to accent what I was displaying. I used straight pins to hold them in line. A glass front is a must in my thinking.
    edited June 2018 #11
    Nice collection.  What are the coins?

I'm gonna have to figure out a way to put a glass cover on this so I can keep dust out
    Those are a few Morgan silver dollars . I went to my lock box & dug out some watches & coins to make a display with. Having hundreds of silver dollars locked in the bank is nice but you loose the interest in them by not seeing what you have. A wall of stuff is a bit much but small displays of them is kinda cool We accumulate cool stuff over the years & then we hide them because they are worth to much & we don't want to loose them. So in this way I can have the best of both worlds.
    Half the fun of collecting things is being able to see & display them & you are well on the way to having a nice collection that you can proudly display. Making it nice looking will always give you a smile when you look at it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Half the fun of collecting things is being able to see & display them & you are well on the way to having a nice collection that you can proudly display. Making it nice looking will always give you a smile when you look at it.
    We had a discussion regarding this recently. There was a beautiful rifle case for sale at auction. I was going to bid on it to display the old rifles the wife inherited. She reminded of how easy they would be to steal. I stopped bidding and the rifles remain in the safe. The house alarm is not enough anymore.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Old Ron said:
    We had a discussion regarding this recently. There was a beautiful rifle case for sale at auction. I was going to bid on it to display the old rifles the wife inherited. She reminded of how easy they would be to steal. I stopped bidding and the rifles remain in the safe. The house alarm is not enough anymore.
    Beef up the alarm system & enjoy what you have. That is what I did & realize that even a 2k system is not perfect but the joy things give us has no price on it.
    edited July 2018 #17

irst off, I apologize for the size of the picture.  I tried to reduce it but my PC won't cooperate. If a mod or someone else can resize it, please do so. 

Anyway,  I have begun working on the cartridge display.  I bought some maroon card stock and cut it out and glued it in place.  The cartridges I have just placed in there to see how it looks. I've got to figure out a way to label each cartridge. I've thought about attaching a wider strip to the narrow horizontal pieces but the narrow ones are rounded and i don't think glue will hold.  And as narrow as they are I don't think I can use nails/staples.  I am open to suggestions on how to attach a wider strip.  And on how to label each cartridge.   So, what do y'all think?  
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Diver43 said:
    Old Ron said:
    Beef up the alarm system & enjoy what you have. That is what I did & realize that even a 2k system is not perfect but the joy things give us has no price on it.
    I would normally agree, but the chance of losing family heirlooms to Miami thieves is too high.  Maybe once we retire and get out of South Florida I will rethink the idea.

@[email protected]
    That looks real nice. Card stock was a good idea

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I looked at a label maker in Walmart yesterday. I hate to buy 1 just for this. But I may have to.

I first picked up some felt. But I felt like it would be too hard to cut precisely and it would probably stretch some too. 

Thanks for your replies.
    I bought a label maker for my tool boxes .......did about 20 labels & lost the label maker.
    RugerFan said:

irst off, I apologize for the size of the picture.  I tried to reduce it but my PC won't cooperate. If a mod or someone else can resize it, please do so. 

Anyway,  I have begun working on the cartridge display.  I bought some maroon card stock and cut it out and glued it in place.  The cartridges I have just placed in there to see how it looks. I've got to figure out a way to label each cartridge. I've thought about attaching a wider strip to the narrow horizontal pieces but the narrow ones are rounded and i don't think glue will hold.  And as narrow as they are I don't think I can use nails/staples.  I am open to suggestions on how to attach a wider strip.  And on how to label each cartridge.   So, what do y'all think?  
    I have finished mounting the card stock background. I'm now ready to set the cartridges.  I've got an idea for labeling each cartridge: print the caliber on a different color card stock and glue it to the horizontal cross pieces. What color card stock do y'all think would look good? I thought about using the maroon and having a brass like font color but it appears that will be too much maroon. I thought about a dark green but I think that might look too Christmassy. I do have a few different "earth tone"  colors on hand. What do y'all think would be a good color?
    I just found a label maker that prints black on a clear laber. It has several different fonts to choose from.  How do y'all think that would look? 

Another idea I had: In my classroom I have 2-3 boxes of clear plastic sheets for making overheads.  I wonder how it would look to print on one of those in a colored font.  Attaching it to the board would be a problem though. Oh well. 
    RugerFan said:
    I just found a label maker that prints black on a clear laber. It has several different fonts to choose from.  How do y'all think that would look? 

That's what I'd try first. I'm assuming you're talking about a "Brother P-Touch" label maker? The labels they make are friggin' BOMB PROOF!

Yep, that's it. Do you think a label will stick to a strip of wood that's just under 5mm thick and a rounded edge no less?
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    maybe a piece of polycarbonate over the display with the black on clear labels place appropriately on it instead. 

Sako
    When you said maroon background, I though...???

But now that I see it, you made a good color choice...I like it.
    Thanks
    sakodude said:
    maybe a piece of polycarbonate over the display with the black on clear labels place appropriately on it instead. 

Sako
    I thought about doing that with. Clear address labels. I just found out tonight there are such things. With the clear address labels I would have more options as to font style, size and color. The label maker would be easier and quicker though.

I've got to take my Dad to the VA hospital tomorrow. I may check out an office supply store to see what's available.
    RugerFan said:
    Yep, that's it. Do you think a label will stick to a strip of wood that's just under 5mm thick and a rounded edge no less?
    As long as the surface its stuck to is stable and free of the usual stuff that discourages sticking (loose, oily, etc), it should be fine. You can get the P-Touch label stock in different widths too. I used them to label connectors on sea-deployed instrumentation. I originally laminated them onto the (ABS) surface, but I put an un-laminated label on that read "Longevity Test Label" - after a couple of years I stopped laminating my labels. I'm pretty sure it (the test label) is still there, and that was at least 15 years ago, maybe more!

Ruger ..... did you find a place to hang your display yet ?
    That will be a nice collection when you get it filled up.
     I like to hang my collections too but keep running out of wall space.

Old Ron said:
    Ruger ..... did you find a place to hang your display yet ?
    That will be a nice collection when you get it filled up.
     I like to hang my collections too but keep running out of wall space.

I figured out a place.................if my wife will let me!!
    All you need to do is make her think the place you want is her idea !