Home Main Category General Firearms

Cartridge Display

2»

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    A clear label with black letters would look good attached to the backing board above the cartridge. If you don't like it replace the backer. If you could find whit on clear labels it might show up better.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Old Ron said:
    Ruger ..... did you find a place to hang your display yet ?
    That will be a nice collection when you get it filled up.
     I like to hang my collections too but keep running out of wall space.

I figured out a place.................if my wife will let me!!
    Well, if you were to just hang it where you desire.  Now thee is already a nail hole and maybe a few paint scratches, so it has to stay, right?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    I bought a label maker today and clear tape cartridge for it. It'll print black on the clear tape. I'm gonna experiment with it and see what happens. I'm afraid the dividers are too deep and the cartridges are too tall to put the label on the inside of ea h compartment.  I know the small compartments are too small. 

I'll put it up and I doubt the wife will say anything. I'm gonna take my bass mount down, it's old and needs work, and put this in it's place between my deer mounts and the tv. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Half the fun of collecting things is being able to see & display them & you are well on the way to having a nice collection that you can proudly display. Making it nice looking will always give you a smile when you look at it.
    Very true Ron, very true. And this is what really pisses me off about having to lock my guns away in a safe. But if you don't some scumbag druggy will rip you off. I remember as a kid we had an open wooden gun cabinet in the living room full of our guns. We didn't have that many but I remember going to other people's houses and they would have 8 or 10 guns in their cabinet and it looked so cool. Now that has been stolen from us. I hate a thief with a passion.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    X2 Snake!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Old Ron said:
    Half the fun of collecting things is being able to see & display them & you are well on the way to having a nice collection that you can proudly display. Making it nice looking will always give you a smile when you look at it.
    Very true Ron, very true. And this is what really pisses me off about having to lock my guns away in a safe. But if you don't some scumbag druggy will rip you off. I remember as a kid we had an open wooden gun cabinet in the living room full of our guns. We didn't have that many but I remember going to other people's houses and they would have 8 or 10 guns in their cabinet and it looked so cool. Now that has been stolen from us. I hate a thief with a passion.
    My son built me a nice oak gun cabinet when he was in high school and it is in my living room. I keep a few in it but nothing real valuable and a 22 and a shotgun for the critters.   
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    The way I am starting to think is ......I have a good alarm system ...... I pay way to much for insurance ....... a gun safe will not stop them ...... so why not have a few nice things that we all worked hard for in a place we can see them & enjoy some of what we have. In my situation I will not let the scum make me hide all I have. That said I wouldn't leave money sitting out on the table but if I can't enjoy treasures then I might as well buy a small place & have nothing in it. No way to live in my opinion. Like I have said steal my cart & I'm all over you when I catch you.  ( and that just happened )
    I finally finished mounting the cartridges I have.  I used Gorilla Glue hot glue(I hope it lasts) to attach the cartridges.  I still have to mount the plexiglass cover.

Ron,

I was organizing a closet yesterday and found some Civil War bullets one of my son's had bought years ago.  I cleaned 1 up and it will fit in the Burnside case you sent me.  I haven't mounted it yet.  I've put all my stuff up and didn't want to drag it out for one bullet.  I'll mount it when I get some more.

RugerFan said:
    Ron,

I was organizing a closet yesterday and found some Civil War bullets one of my son's had bought years ago.  I cleaned 1 up and it will fit in the Burnside case you sent me.  I haven't mounted it yet.  I've put all my stuff up and didn't want to drag it out for one bullet.  I'll mount it when I get some more.

The collection is looking great there Ruger !
    Seems we all have treasures hidden in closets we long forgot about . Mine went a little out of control . lol
    I really appreciate you sending.me that Burnside and the other cartridges.

I could not Id 2 of those cartridges. I think they were dummys someone was playing around with.
    It was my pleasure Ruger . The ones that are dummies came from a dummy so that fits ! lol If I run across any more I will post them to see if you need them .
    I'm just about out of space for rifle cartridges.  Got several spaces for pistol calibers.

Somewhere in my house I have a 10 ga shell but I can't find it anywhere. I've got to get a 16 also.
    edited January 2019 #47
    Man, that is neat! Beautiful. I wish I had the patience to do such a meticulous job.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited January 2019 #48
    I also like what Ol' Ron had to say back in July about hiding our stuff. I'm tired of the scumbags dictating what we can and can't do. I want a really good alarm system. I don't live in an upscaled neighborhood. There's known druggies a street over. I don't flash my guns around when I go hunting or to the range. I want an alarm system with a security cam looking right at each safe. I do also have a gun cabinet with glass doors I got back in the 60s. I would love to have some of my best looking rifle's and shotguns displayed there. But I don't want to lose them. A safe does offer some security because it takes time to get into one. Thieves don't like to have to spend time on the scene because this is when they get caught. A safe plus a good alarm system with battery back up is pretty good security. The safe gives time necessary for the security cam to take good pics. So even if they do get to your guns the cops can find them easy. The problem is concealing the cam and alarm and having an uninteruptable power supply to them.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    You almost have that case filled, looks nice, are you done or do you want some more? Post your list of calibers.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks for your comments.

I'll have to update my list. I bought quite a few at a gun show this fall. You may can zoom in enough on the pictures and read the labels. Idk if you can zoom in enough and still be readable 
    Having a way to display the things we like is really what it is all about . I have made many collections & displays for my treasures . I like seeing them around & they make me smile . Then the years pass & the value goes up on the common things you have hanging around . Then the fear of loosing them sets in & security becomes a problem . So off the wall & in safes they go . That has happened a few times to me & guns was at the top of the list to be hidden away . Years went by again & I forgot most of what I had tucked away . After buying the estate I did I made up my mind to keep the guns for the most part out where I can see them . Now I think I am to old ,to big & to well armed to let strangers make me hide the things I like . With a good alarm system & good insurance there is nothing to fear. We can always replace things but it is tough to find a smile every day .
    You've got a great attitude Ron.
    Thanks snake !
    Over the years I have seen way to many people let fear suck the life out of them . It creeps up & then grows worse than cancer . Being cautious is not the same as fear . Knowing there are bad people every place do not mean you have to fear them ( just keep an eye on them ) They can smell fear as an easy target . They go for that rather than one that may put lumps & scars on them . I don't let even a pen or a lighter get kept of mine . Might be why some don't like me but I will always be up front & honest & expect the same in return . Our collections big or small is ours & I always try to respect other peoples things or thoughts . ( just a silly old man here )
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    You almost have that case filled, looks nice, are you done or do you want some more? Post your list of calibers.
    Was going to ask the same question. I have probably 100 or so different cartridges in my collection that just collect dust. I would gladly donate them to someone to properly display.

Sako
    I bid on another tray like I've got back in the summer.  I quit bidding because I wasn't sure I would be able to fill it up.

I'm probably gonna have a hard time filling up the small niches I have left
    Can't you trim the wood pockets & make 2 small ones one bigger one ? Probably would have been a lot easier to do before you stuck them in but still doable .
    All I've done is cut and glue the maroon cardstock in each space.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    edited January 2019 #58
    Looks good!

Didn't I send you a 7.5x55?
    I tried to enlarge the pics and couldn't
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Yes you did. And I have apparently misplaced it. I'll look for it after church today.  Thanks for reminding me!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    You're welcome
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.