The 'wulf "barks" on Christmas day

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,668 Senior Member
50 Beowulf that is.
~50 yards, slightly quartering away 70# doe.
335gr Rainier plated HP and this load averaged 1817fps a few weeks ago.
Bullet entered the center of her left shoulder and ended up here,

bullet1.jpg

Yes, that lump under the skin at the base of her neck is the bullet.

I don't field dress my deer, since I don't have a place to do it, plus she was at the processor's within 45 minutes of me pulling the trigger.

Since the bullet was just under the skin, I did take my knife and free it before I turned it over to the processor.
I haven't weighed it yet, but from past experiences with these bullets I'm guessing it weighs ~125-150gr
Here it is next to a quarter for comparison.
bullet2.jpg

The deer was DRT and even with the bullet missing the right shoulder, the right leg/shoulder was broken as well. Actually, she had so many broken ribs, that may have been the cause of the right leg flopping

edited again because apparently what I call the "point" of the shoulder, was incorrect, so I changed "point" to "center"
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Thank you mi hermano :beer:
    Hope you and yours had a GREAT Christmas
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    There ya go Paul, meat in the freezer! I haven't played with the wulf this year, glad yours is getting a workout!

I was out all weekend myself; shot a big boar Friday evening but that's it. I saw several does but since I already hve plenty of meat I wasn't looking to take anymore deer this year unless it was something big so I let them walk.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Thanks Tim,
    I had planned on, and have mostly "Handgun" (XP-100) hunted this season in honor of Dan J and his love of handgun hunting, but these deer were in the back yard (whole collection available) it's rained most of the day, and it was nearly dark (about 15 minutes of legal hunting left)
    So I used something I expected to drop it in its tracks.
    You know even better than I, that the 'wulf's an excellent choice for something you want down, "RIGHT NOW" :worthy:

That's only the second deer I've killed with the 'wulf, neither has traveled more than 1 step, and that was the one I botched the shot on.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Nice work, Paul! I'm curious, though: is that much weight loss in the bullet typical of those Raniers or was this a case of the hitting those ribs fragging it up? I would think a bullet that heavy hitting an 80# doe would just plow through without shedding as much weight, especially at a modest 1817 fps. Regardless, she's down, you scored the meat and the 'wulf did it's job. That's what matters at the end of the day. :worthy:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Luis, into wet newsprint it loses a similar amount of weight. That's why I know what a 125-150gr remnant looks like.
    There were chunks of bone caught in the rear of the bullet. With the multiple broken ribs on the offside, I have a feeling a slow motion video of that impact would have looked like a grenade went off inside the deer.

The 'wulf doesn't have massive ft/lbs of energy, but it's got all sorts of momentum (since Energy leans HEAVILY towards velocity {E=MC2[velocity squared]})

Luis, here's one of the paper test bullets and a look at the damage it did to the wet newsprint
    100_1009.jpg

That's a Beowulf case in the hole ~2" into the newsprint
    100_1008.jpg

The Beowulf case is 1.65" long

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Yep. Definitely like you described: a lead bomb. On a deer-sized animal, that's a mighty effective way to get it done. I was actually considering the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my new .243 because Linefinder described a similar effect. I ended up going back to the TTSX because it shot so well out of that gun (and I already got a good look at what it does to deer in my 7mm-08 - much more of a penetrator than a bomb), but that grenade effect is equally effective.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I have more heavily constructed bullets if I ever go after anything larger than whitetails, but on deer size critters, it is, as Bill Alexander called it on future weapons, "A wrecking ball" :worthy:

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Well done Paul...good job...nice after-action as well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thank you, on both counts, Scott :beer:

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Excellent score Paul.
    I envy you being able to do that on Christmas day. In past years I have normally 'gone bush' for at least half a day on Christmas day, but for the past few years I have ended up spending the first 7-8 hrs working.

Ya gotta love the 'Wulf' lol.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Excellent score Paul.
    I envy you being able to do that on Christmas day. In past years I have normally 'gone bush' for at least half a day on Christmas day, but for the past few years I have ended up spending the first 7-8 hrs working.
    Thank you my friend :beer:
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ya gotta love the 'Wulf' lol.

Within 150 yards, I most certainly do.
    If the 'wulf (with proper bullets for the size animal) won't stop it, my fat butt is going to RUN

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    What kind of stress does a round like that put on the aluminum frame of the AR? Think there will be longevity issues? Very interesting concept.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,901 Senior Member
    I hate you being able to walk out back and shoot one that quick.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    What kind of stress does a round like that put on the aluminum frame of the AR? Think there will be longevity issues? Very interesting concept.

Dan
    With the steel on steel lock-up between the bolt and barrel extension, I really don't see it as an issue. I've had mine since '05 and haven't seen any, nor have I heard of anyone else having issues.

NN wrote: »
    I hate you being able to walk out back and shoot one that quick.
    Thanks Ned :beer:
    And my wife wonders why I'm not interested in moving to a subdivision.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    .500 or .510 bullets?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    .500"