Science Project - Pulling and Reloading .223 Remington

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,332 Senior Member
I have a bunch of factory loaded Federal/Speer 62 & 64gr Gold Dot as well as 64gr Winchester Power Point. None of the loads are stellar in accuracy department. Some guns shoot them alright and others flat out don’t. 

So, like I did with the .308 Win and my 165gr bonded factory ammo, I’m going to pull the bullets and try to re-seat a different bullet of similar weight with the existing powder charge and see what happens. It worked well with the .308 Win. 

I’ve decided to try the 60gr Hornady HP/FB bullet. Close in weight, typical cup/core bullet, with good reviews. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/536318/hornady-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-60-grain-hollow-point-box-of-100

Again, I’m hoping to pull the bullets, resize the necks (removing the die stem) and seat the new bullet without ever removing the powder. If not, then maybe just pull and reseat without resizing. 

Thoughts on this endeavor?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    No reason in my mind to re size 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    Maybe trying just a few for results before committing the entire batch would be prudent. Good reviews may or may not equal good results.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    Well yeah. I’ll test a few for accuracy. Play with seating depth if I have to. Before loading the batch. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    I've done similar in a few calibers 223, 30-06, 9mm

Except for the 9mm, I haven't done anything but pull one and then seat the new bullets
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,264 Senior Member
    edited July 4 #6
    For science I’d weigh the charges of a few rounds to see if there are significant deviations in the factory loads between rounds that could account for the poor performance.  You might not need a different bullet.  A consistent/precise measured charge might be enough.

Unless the bullets are getting mangled in the process...  In any case I think assuring a consistent charge should be a good thing no?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I can test that as well. 
    Zee said:
    I can test that as well. 
    I love science 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,691 Senior Member
    Do you think the pulled bullets reloaded over a different powder would yield a better result?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    When I did this in the .308 Win by pulling a Trophy Bonded Bearclaw and replacing it with a Sierra HPBT-GameKing, the groups immediately went from 4” to 1/2” with just a bullet change. That tells me, for that particular rifle.......it was the bullet. 

Another rifle loves the original load. 

Go figure. 
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Do you think the pulled bullets reloaded over a different powder would yield a better result?
    Always possible. 
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Always possible. 
    I thought you had taken deer with that Gold Dot bullet and it worked fine. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I have. I’ve taken deer and pigs. Accuracy in several of my rifles is adequate for that. 

I’m looking for a more accurate load for target/varmint/distance and wanting to experiment with these 3 loads by switching bullets. 

The GD and PP bullets are adequate for hunting. 
    Besides, I’m getting a new .223 Rem rifle on Friday and wanting to test a new load in it. 

😎
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Besides, I’m getting a new .223 Rem rifle on Friday and wanting to test a new load in it. 

Oh? Do tell
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    :popcorn:
    Zee said:

😎
    Try some factory Federal/Speer 62 & 64gr Gold Dot as well as 64gr Winchester Power Point, I hear they work well in some guns :* .
    Standing by for the here pull my bullet  jokes. 🐒
    For science I’d weigh the charges of a few rounds to see if there are significant deviations in the factory loads between rounds that could account for the poor performance.  You might not need a different bullet.  A consistent/precise measured charge might be enough.

Unless the bullets are getting mangled in the process...  In any case I think assuring a consistent charge should be a good thing no?
    Pulled 3 bullets from both the 62gr and 64gr ammo. The results are in!

Not only do they have the same parder/charge........they are within a .1gr deviation. 

Dont think thats the problem. On to the bullet swap!!!  Woohoo!!
    Zee said:

Pulled 3 bullets from both the 62gr and 64gr ammo. The results are in!

Not only do they have the same parder/charge........they are within a .1gr deviation. 

Dont think thats the problem. On to the bullet swap!!!  Woohoo!!
    Agreed, one variable down.  Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, good science!!!
    The old bullets are pulled and the new seated. 

Let me say, I’m kinda happy with the Forster Collet Bullet Puller I ordered. A necessity as I have a Forster Press. But, it works well. 

I pulled both 62gr and 64gr Speer GD and seated both 52gr Nosler FBHP and Hornady 60gr FBHP in both original cases. 

They are seated to .008” off the lands. Hope to try them tomorrow. 
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Why not seat the original bullets closer? Science. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    I am assuming this is a bolt gun?

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    cpj said:
    Why not seat the original bullets closer? Science. 
    Yeah. I could try that. 
    BigDanS said:
    I am assuming this is a bolt gun?

Yes. 
    You guys ain’t gonna believe these results. 
    edited July 8 #27
    Zee said:
    You guys ain’t gonna believe Ithese results. 
    And here I was thinking you missed a chance to shoot a bunch of shots with no preshoot work. Standing by to see the worth of bullet switching👀
    This the gun you swapped into the AIC stock?
    Yes
    Ok I'm ready.  Hit me...
    Gotta get all the data written on the group pics first. Not home yet.