Thai cave rescue

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,414 Senior Member

Man those kids are in a very bad situation. Looks like it is still raining (Monsoon) and it may take months to get them out depending on how they go about it.

No it wasn't a very bright idy to go in them caves, but that can be debated later after they get them out.

A lot of brave professional folks from all over are there trying to keep them alive and work out a plan to recuse them.

They are talking about using something called a Kirby Morgan (sp?) just now on the news. A full hood breathing apparatus that can't be removed by them as they pull them along underwater.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of them.......the kids, their families and the rescuers.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    I don't know alot about mining, but I think I read once that some places can not be drained. Its a scary situation. I hope everyone makes it out healthy.
  • dlddld Member Posts: 325 Member
    this morning they said the rescue divers took 6 hours to reach them and 5 hours to return to the surface, thats a long time in the dark swimming even for professionals much less kids that never dove before. Some kids they said don't even know how to swim and they have to teach them 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,287 Senior Member
    Holy Crap!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    I spent 3ish years working in an underground limestone mine. I’ve worked where there’s low  light, and I’ve worked where there is zero light. To quote my old foreman, “it’s darker than the inside of a cow”
    I can’t IMAGINE what those kids are going through. It’s spooky waaaaaay back in the mine, and even way back there’s some noise. There? The only
    sound is that of the guy next to you. And NO light. 
    Ugh. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,941 Senior Member
    dld said:
    this morning they said the rescue divers took 6 hours to reach them and 5 hours to return to the surface, thats a long time in the dark swimming even for professionals much less kids that never dove before. Some kids they said don't even know how to swim and they have to teach them 

From what I heard on the radio this morning, they said it's about a 3 mile swim to get to the boys.  And there are some passages that are so narrow, the divers had to remove their scuba gear, squeeze through and find a place on the other side to put their gear back on.  Definitely not a trip for anyone but the most experienced divers.

They also said they have pumps running, trying to pump some of the water out.  Wonder how that will work out.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,264 Senior Member
    Most folks missed the fact that it is prohibited and clearly marked that folks are not allowed in these caves.  Wouldn’t it be nice if the idiot adults that were in charge of the group and the idiot kid’s parents would have to foot the bill for this little adventure?!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,287 Senior Member
    Can they bore an intersecting shaft?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    I've done cave diving. Very easy to get stuck. It's no place to panic and not for the claustrophobic. You absolutely need a reliable light source (multiple sources including Chem-Lights).

It's rough on experienced divers. For those kids, it'll be nothing less than traumatic.

Since the kids ain't going anywhere, I'd say...................... start the dive lessons. They need to learn immediate action drills and they absolutely have to be comfortable underwater.

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    I missed some of this being on vacation. How did the kids get there in the first place.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    I missed some of this being on vacation. How did the kids get there in the first place.
    They went in exploring, and then the rains came and flooded the cave behind them.
    At least that's my understanding.
    Most folks missed the fact that it is prohibited and clearly marked that folks are not allowed in these caves.  Wouldn’t it be nice if the idiot adults that were in charge of the group and the idiot kid’s parents would have to foot the bill for this little adventure?!!
    Why should the adults that were SUPPOSED to be "in charge" be expected to actually be responsible for anything?

Little Joey and Johnnie "forced" them to let them go in, I'm sure <SARCASM>

The govt should have blocked it off where folks couldn't get in there if it's so dangerous. It's their responsibility to protect us, and provide for us, from cradle to grave <MORE SARCASM>

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

They entered illegally to go “explore”.  Rained a lot and cave flooded so they were forced to continue deeper to get away from rising water,  about 10 days ago.  You are now caught up.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    So, couldn't they just wait for the water to go back down or is that not part of the equation?
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,941 Senior Member
    From what I heard, being monsoon season there, it will probably be at least a couple of months before that happens. 
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    edited July 5 #15
    i heard about it and thought it was some dumb americans.

But its interesting to note that stupidity isnt  a USA thingy.

If they get out, it would be interesting to see what happens to the coach.

my thoughts are that the later the wait, the more issues they may have due to water infiltration.  If their base is high enough to keep them out of the water, great.  But hypothermia will kill you just as dead too.  It will just take a bit longer.  Water is a lubricant/solvent and has a way of seeping into tiny places and loosening things up.  

i would be brining them out as soon as possible.  The faster the better.

ive done some spelunking here, but not where im crawling on my belly to places.  Not my idea of fun or safe.  It wouldnt take much to close any passage way.   Even when im able to walk through the caves, im always thinking there is alot of earth/rock between me and the surface.  
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    It sounds like some of you would be in favor of a giant custom made plunger to retrieve everyone back out through the entrance???
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    So, couldn't they just wait for the water to go back down or is that not part of the equation?
    They said it could be October before that happens....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    They said something about "the seals" taking them a 4 month supply of food and water
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,143 Senior Member
    edited July 5 #19
    One of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  The adults should go to jail.  2.5 miles into a cave you are not supposed to be in with a dozen kids?  From the pics I've seen they don't even have shoes.  Millions of dollars later, no one will be held accountable.  If it were one of my kids in there I'd be kicking somebody's butt.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    knitepoet said:
    They said something about "the seals" taking them a 4 month supply of food and water
    US NAVY Seals are on site assisting.

just heard today that the pumps are working and they are down to an 800 meter underwater swim.  Water levels are down 40% or so.  BUT if it rains again in the next few days all bets re off...
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    one thing i didn't think of.

if they loose (alot?) of weight and such, they maybe able to fit in the passage ways easier.

i wonder if that food the SEALs brought is high caloric stuff where there less bulk.    Thats alot of food unless they plan to ration.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

BAMAAK said:
    One of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  The adults should go to jail.  2.5 miles into a cave you are not supposed to be in with a dozen kids?  From the pics I've seen they don't even have shoes.  Millions of dollars later, no one will be held accountable.  If it were one of my kids in there I'd be kicking somebody's butt.
    THIS!!!  The adults that were supervising this little expeditions should ABSOLUTELY go to jail.  BUT I'm sure it's much better PR to hail them as heroes for keeping the kids alive for 10 days without food even though all they did was wait...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Bring in mining drills and drill into the side of the mountain at an upward angle to where the water is at. Make lots and lots of holes to help keep it drained.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    A diver/rescuer has died. RIP 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Yeah, one of the rescue divers died coming out. He'd been bringing in diving tanks and didn't have enough air left in his tank to make it out. Rescuers are definitely at risk trying to rescue people from stupid situations in which they put themselves.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    The logical result of bringing in food is a hellish increase in the amount of poop being produced....must be getting rather fetid down there...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    yep

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    Starting rescue ops today, they have been in there for 16 days now.

Praying for success.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    Now they are reporting the first 2 boys are out.
    Read one of the parents was telling the adult that took the kids into the cave that it “wasn’t his fault”.  REALLY!?!?!  Whose freaking fault is it then????