Thai cave rescue

2»

Replies

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,582 Senior Member
    How many are out now.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,985 Senior Member
    How many are out now.

Last I read was 4...............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,663 Senior Member
    Now the 5th boy has been rescued.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    And they just reported the 6th and 7th................so far so good getting the boys out.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    I'd strongly suggest the application of a few pounds of C-4 to the entrance to that cave after everybody is out.
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • GilaGila Posts: 632 Senior Member
    At the last count they have 8 of the boys out.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,625 Senior Member

THIS!!!  The adults that were supervising this little expeditions should ABSOLUTELY go to jail.  BUT I'm sure it's much better PR to hail them as heroes for keeping the kids alive for 10 days without food even though all they did was wait...
      Nailed it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,643 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    A diver/rescuer has died. RIP 

"Saman Kunan, the former Thai navy seal who died after returning from placing air tanks along the route to the boys." -- The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/06/former-thai-navy-seal-diver-saman-kunan-dies-from-lack-of-air-inside-cave

Let's hope nothing else goes wrong. It's a hard job they're doing!

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,675 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    So, couldn't they just wait for the water to go back down or is that not part of the equation?
    They said it could be October before that happens....
    And the cave may flood completely, before it goes down enough for them to walk out.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 684 Senior Member
    Being someone that’s claustrophobic, I can’t imagine being stuck that far in a cave, especially in the pitch dark where you can’t even see your nose and then have to deal with the underwater path out. Ugh.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,285 Senior Member
    Being someone that’s claustrophobic, I can’t imagine being stuck that far in a cave, especially in the pitch dark where you can’t even see your nose and then have to deal with the underwater path out. Ugh.
    You'd hate working in a nuclear plant. Being small and relatively skinny when I worked at the plants, I got voluntold to do a lot of jobs on the simple premise that I was the only one on the crew that would fit in the area that had to be accessed. Crawl in head first, and then back out because there was no way in hell you had room to turn around.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,582 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    You'd hate working in a nuclear plant. Being small and relatively skinny when I worked at the plants, I got voluntold to do a lot of jobs on the simple premise that I was the only one on the crew that would fit in the area that had to be accessed. Crawl in head first, and then back out because there was no way in hell you had room to turn around.
    No way I could do it. Way to claustrophobic. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,285 Senior Member
    I'm not afraid of heights, and not claustrophobic.........................except for caves. I won't even consider going in a cave that has tight spaces that have to be crawled through. Tight spaces around equipment, cable tunnels, pipe tunnels, and other tight crawl spaces don't bother me at all. Crawling through a cluster of cable trays 500 feet long that were tight enough that I had to use only forearms and toes to move along didn't bother me at all.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

edited July 10 #45
    Now 11 boys have been rescued and now one boy, the coach, 3 seals and a doctor remain. Hopefully they will be out safely soon. 
  • JimBynesJimBynes Posts: 8 New Member
    Here's to hoping that all of them will get out of this without too much injury.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,272 Senior Member
    Everyone is out
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    tennmike said:
    I'm not afraid of heights, and not claustrophobic.........................except for caves. I won't even consider going in a cave that has tight spaces that have to be crawled through...
    You would've Luv'ed cave diving on Okinawa.

I've gotten stuck in a tight spot 50' down with a quarter tank of air. Luckily, I was down there with a friend who managed to get me unstuck. That was the last time I tried to squeeze through small open spaces underwater. :#

Another time, I went into a relatively tight cave when a 4' eel poked it's head of it's little cubbyhole and just stared at me from about two feet from my face mask. No room to turn around so I could only back away -- Slow! :o

Back on topic:

I'm just glad everything turn out well for those kids....

The idiot adult that led them in there......Hmm. >:)
    Now that everyone is safe.

I'll go ahead and remind everyone of the rescue diver that died helping to save those kids.

RIP

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,542 Senior Member
    I am glad they are out-----was an expensive operation, including one life.
    This message has been deleted
  • JimBynesJimBynes Posts: 8 New Member
    Having mixed emotions about this. I'm happy that they were all rescued, yet, there was a loss of life. Such a brave soul.
    A movie will be made soon......................already talks about one.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,425 Senior Member
    One thing I noticed during this incident.....the media doesn't know the difference between an air tank and an oxygen tank...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    One thing I noticed during this incident.....the media doesn't know the difference between an air tank and an oxygen tank...
    If they required a home oxygen tank, worked as a medical professional or welder, they would know. They were too lazy to do the research.

I watched one of those reports were the reporter wondered why there was so much time in between rescues. One reporter wondered why there weren't more rescuers on-site helping out!

I don't know, maybe they could use their "Find Elite Rescue Divers" App. That would've solved everything.

I know one thing, a two hour shallow dive where you break the surface from time to time is tiring and dehydrating. Two such two-hour dives in a day is enough to make you want to go home.

An infil/exfil strategy that requires an 11 hour round trip while rescuing someone is extraordinary.

Those rescuers did a hell of a job!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,425 Senior Member
    It also indicates they don't know the difference between air and oxygen.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,272 Senior Member
    I've made some "cavern" dives (can still see natural light)
    I never had ANY desire to go back in a deep dark, and getting older hasn't flung a craving on me to do that either.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GilaGila Posts: 632 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    It also indicates they don't know the difference between air and oxygen.....
    Maybe they would figure it out if they were informed that oxygen is the stuff they're wasting...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,272 Senior Member
    Doubtful Gila
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

2»