Char-Broil, GOOD grill Company!!!

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 26,293 Senior Member
So I bought a stainless Char-Broil Commercial Infrared grill from Lowes about a year and half ago when I moved to the new house based on my FIL's ownership of exactly the same model he bought just over 3 years ago.  I was going to go with a more expensive unit but cooking on his grill had sold me that this was all the grill I needed.  These damn things gets hotter than the fires of Hades so I'm a happy camper.  Cooks a mean ribeye with nice caramelizing of the meat and still gives me the taste and grill marks with no flareups.  A small smokebox full of chips set on the grates while it heats up to cooking temp will give you the same taste as if you cooked over an open hardwood fire.

Fast forward to last month.  Have not used it for a couple of months and went to clean it and found the ceramic on the grates had split and the underlying cast iron was rusting badly.  I was PISSED!!!  But then again I'm close to the coast and life in salt water air is tough on anything metal that lives outdoors.

Called Charbroil and I find out that the grates are under warrantee for 3 years but in any case they told me they had an issue with the grates form one of their supplier failing (something about the ceramic bonding to the cast iron) and that my grill was one of the run with the defective grates.  New grates AND the stainless steel inserts that go under them (about $180 worth of parts) shipped to my house for a $4.95 processing fee!!!  They were a little backed up because of all the grates they were replacing and it took 2 weeks to get them but heck, who cares!!!

Their burners have a lifetime warrantee so the lady told me to inspect the burners while I had the grill apart and if I had any issues with them, which I did not, they look great, they'd add new ones to the order too.

I wanted to pass this on in case it's time to replace ol'smoky.  They are good company with a very good product for a reasonable amount of money!
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• GilaGila Posts: 166 Member
    The only product I don't like from them are their grill covers.  I a custom fit because my Char-Broil has a fire box on one end, a chimney on top and other protrusions on it.  They only last one summer in the Arizona sun.  I'd pay more for one made out of Sunbrella.
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,293 Senior Member
    Yeah the grill covers are only good for 2 maybe 3 summers here.  
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,948 Senior Member
    I bought a regular Char Broil propane grill this spring to put on my front porch.  A 5 burner with a pot burner on the side.  I also got the electric rotisserie setup to go on it.  A smoke box will be the next thing I pick up for it.  I've always preferred wood fueled grills and smokers, but have to admit there's been plenty of times I wanted to grill and didn't feel like dealing with getting the grill and coals ready.  Since I got the propane grill, I've been cooking outside at least 2-3 times per week.  Good to hear you had a good experience with them.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,835 Senior Member
    I just missed out on a promo for a new 4 + 1 Char Broil grill.  Twice a year, each of our stores sells promo items to employees at a VERY reasonable price.  For most items, you write your name and employee number in a square and - if your square is picked, you have the option to buy whatever it is you signed up for.  I was the alternate pick for the grill, but the 'winner ' decided to buy it.  $90 later, my grill went home with another man...😡
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 365 Member
    Im a closet griller since I bought a Char Broil grill from Lowes as well. I work part time for Home Depot, so I have to keep that quiet! I also acquired a Char-Griller Texas Trio last week that is a gas grill, charcoal grill and smoker, so I covered all my bbq needs. I only use universal covers and tools since I refuse to commit to one brand of grill for too long. Figure I get a new grill every few years once they have any issues anyway.
    Axe said:
    Im a closet griller since I bought a Char Broil grill from Lowes as well. I work part time for Home Depot, so I have to keep that quiet! I also acquired a Char-Griller Texas Trio last week that is a gas grill, charcoal grill and smoker, so I covered all my bbq needs. I only use universal covers and tools since I refuse to commit to one brand of grill for too long. Figure I get a new grill every few years once they have any issues anyway.
    Don't count on that with the Char-Broil.  My last one lasted 5 years and I was so sick of it so I gave it away to the guys that moved us so I could buy a new one, and I lived in South FL a walk away from the ocean when I bought that one and I NEVER covered my grill...
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,553 Senior Member
    I am on my second one. I like the Char-Broil brand, and they're pretty sturdy too.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • GilaGila Posts: 166 Member
    edited July 8 #9
    Axe said:
    Don't count on that with the Char-Broil.  My last one lasted 5 years and I was so sick of it so I gave it away to the guys that moved us so I could buy a new one, and I lived in South FL a walk away from the ocean when I bought that one and I NEVER covered my grill...
    My wood/charcoal burning Char-Broil is over 10 years old, and is just fine.  However, I do need to replace the wooden counter built into it again, but that's no big deal.  I just cut up and drill a 1x4 8' oak board to make the new counter.
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    I have a small CharBroil charcoal grill, that I bought when I moved to Kentucky. 2 1/2 years and no issues. I have a cover but never use it, I just roll it into my shed and lock the door. Sometimes it gets rained on, when I leave it outside over night, to cool down. No sign of rust.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    For most of the last 10 years I’ve lived close enough to the coast that most grills become a disposable one year proposition.  The Char-Broil ones are the only “reasonably” priced grill that seemed to stand up to the elements.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    I've had a Char-Broil charcoal grill for about 8 years now. Four grate size. It's the best grill I've ever used. I think I paid around $150 for it. I finally replaced the ash pan this year. Great bang for the buck.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter