Is the speed worth it?

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,261 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I just put my new .223 Rem together this evening. 

If it shoots half half as good as it looks......this thread is doomed. 
    🤣🤣🤣
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,142 Senior Member
    edited July 7 #33
    Zee said:

The .20 Tactical or Practical uses .223 brass and rivals the .204 Ruger. Just saying. Thread is not doomed, it just needs another direction. Will shoot out of 1 of your AR's with a .20 barrel also.

After research, the Practical seems the way to go. Time for me to start saving up... :*

Was trying to enable you, but it backfired in my face. Wife won't be happy.
    Michakav said:
    Zee said:

The .20 Tactical uses .223 brass and rivals the .204 Ruger. Just saying. Thread is not doomed, it just needs another direction. Will shoot out of 1 of your AR's with a .20 barrel also.
    Should he resize the 500 bullets he was gifted? 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    edited July 7 #35

Should he resize the 500 bullets he was gifted? 😁

Who cares about those? They were free! Was trying to spend his money but ended up with a list of my own... B)

We all knew he wasn't going to go the .22-250 route anyway, so I don't feel bad about the thread drift.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    Hey, I just found out Browning makes a 9T barrel on their .22-250 X-Bolt!

Never considered a Browning before. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,249 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I have an A-bolt 2 in 308 that I love. The short throw on the bolt is great. It shoots. And did the 270 A bolt I had. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    edited July 7 #38
    Zee said:

Uh-oh! DO IT! Can go above your 64gr. goal. Maybe up to 75-77 with the extra velocity.

You know, all the stuff your .243 will do.... ;)......(.20 Practical)
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    Speed is only worth it if you want splatter twixt 1-200- 250 ish yards
    If you want to shoot as in your first post then, no

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 680 Senior Member
    Zee- buy the gun, and I'll buy everyone on this thread a beer that has posted to this point!

How's that for enabling?? :D :D

Beers expensive by the time it gets here.... but..I'll mark that... you know.. just incase.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I would like to at least load 64gr bullets in a .22-250

That would be problematic as most factory guns are 12/14” Twist. 
    That's where you get into trouble. Exactly!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Michakav said:
    Zee said:

Uh-oh! DO IT! Can go above your 64gr. goal. Maybe up to 75-77 with the extra velocity.

Good Lord!!!

I can build for the price of a Browning!!!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Michakav said:
    Zee said:

Good Lord!!!

I can build for the price of a Browning!!!
    But the gold trigger! 
    I’d prefer a build, but my buddy’s Browning is NICE. Makes a 700 feel like a pile of crap. To be fair, that’s not exactly a challenge. But the Browning is very nice. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    So now we’re are completely off the subject of the bullets that started the OP 😁
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    So now we’re are completely off the subject of the bullets that started the OP 😁

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    🤣🤣🤣
    Not necessarily. 

I’m working on handloads with those bullets for the .223 today. If they flop.......we might be back to a .22-250 option. 

Is it that surprising? 
    edited July 7 #49
    Zee said:
    Not necessarily. 

I’m working on handloads with those bullets for the .223 today. If they flop.......we might be back to a .22-250 option. 

You know who else makes a .22-250 with a 9 twist? Say it with me.....SAVAGE....Still pricey though at around $850. Could get a Lilja or Shilen with the twist you want for $450'ish (or a Shaw for 1/2 that) and build with Remington parts you have already.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Browning makes a nice gun,  never heard much bad about accuracy.  But, they're buy it, glass it, be done with it guns.  Nothing to tinker with.  And the XBolt has special bases
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 73 Member
    I have an X - bolt for my wife in 270WSM.  She loves it, and shoots it very well.  Like was said, we never have to tinker with it!
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,369 Senior Member
    I haven't shot my 22-250 in years.  It's LOUD.  Horribly loud.  Uses way too much powder, for what it is.  I never did find a really acccurate load for it.
     I shoot 39/40 grain bullets at 3700 from my 204, and 223.  55s at 3300.
    If I want more, I go with my 243, 75 gr at 3700.  
    If I had a virtually limitless supply of 308 brass, I surely wouldn't build a 22-250, because someone gave me bullets.
    Zee said:
    Not necessarily. 

Well?
    edited July 9 #54
    jbohio said:
    I haven't shot my 22-250 in years.  It's LOUD.  Horribly loud.  Uses way too much powder, for what it is.  I never did find a really acccurate load for it.
    If I had a virtually limitless supply of 308 brass, I surely wouldn't build a 22-250, because someone gave me bullets.

Been trying to push him into a fast .20 (practical), but he wants nothing to do with light bullets. He can also use it in an AR. I'm saving my money.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    jbohio said:
    Good point, with the unlimited 308 brass and a custom build anyways, if you're going to burn a barrel with little bullets might as well go full-on 22-243 Middlestead and crack well over 4k fps
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    FWIW, the 22-250 for you would be a longer distance gun, in my opinion.  You already have the tools to shoot .22 caliber easily to 500 yards with both speed and accuracy.  If there is anyone here that could shoot reliably at 500 plus yard distances, it is you.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    jbohio said:
    The voice of reason. 
    Michakav said:
    Zee said:
    Not necessarily. 

Well?
    3,511 fps w/ a 52gr bullet from a .223 Remington.

I’m kinda happy. 
    jbohio said:
    Good point, with the unlimited 308 brass and a custom build anyways, if you're going to burn a barrel with little bullets might as well go full-on 22-243 Middlestead and crack well over 4k fps
    I have considered that. 
    BigDanS said:
    FWIW, the 22-250 for you would be a longer distance gun, in my opinion.  You already have the tools to shoot .22 caliber easily to 500 yards with both speed and accuracy.  If there is anyone here that could shoot reliably at 500 plus yard distances, it is you.

D
    Myself and my 11yo boy are already shooting the .223 Remington to 800 yards with 77gr SMK. 

So, in reality.........I guess it’s not really a need but a kinda want. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    edited July 9 #61
    Zee said:
    I would like to at least load 64gr bullets in a .22-250

That would be problematic as most factory guns are 12/14” Twist. 
    Let me explain.... a bullet in a 22/250 with a 1:12 twist going 3729 feet per second also spins 3729 times during that second (223,740 RPM). A .223 with a 1:10 twist going 3383 feet per second will make 4059 spins in that second (243,540 RPM). It may be enough to stabilize the bullet.
    Remember Scott Mayer? He and I had this very argument on here once where he said velocity didn't make any difference. I said it did because I had gotten away with shooting 65 grain Sierras in my Remington .22-250 with a 1-14 twist. He insisted it didn"t matter that it wouldn"t stabilies them>
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.