California burning

hawk18hawk18 Senior MemberPosts: 715 Senior Member
Far northern that is. Around Hornbrook, about 10 or so miles from Oregon on I-5. There are bombers flying out of Medford. A four engine jet I don't recognize and a DC-10. When they take off loaded and bank west into the wind, the DC-10 passes over our house low and loud. We have 15 mph wind so it might get messy. That's open country with no canyons so the planes can be a big help. 

Hawk

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,476 Senior Member
    The local news guy here eluded that the 747 tanker not yet ready for flight should be. I was thinking, yea bet you'd like a seat on it flying over a fire with a hastey preflight.

Hard summer. I hope you're alright there.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    Heavy smoke cloud east of us. Wind is out of the WNW so we might be ok for this one. 

Hawk
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Had one going near the 38 up to Big Bear when I headed up there this morning via the "front" way up the 18 through Running Springs.  Had a lot of the tankers flying out of March and presumably Norton.

STOOOOOOOOPID HOT here in the I.E.  115F yesterday and today!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Really bad weather (not that there is good weather) for a burn here too. Blazing hot and windy!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    I feel for you. Colorado is on fire, too. I live 14 miles from Pike's Peak, and haven't seen the top of it for days.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 325 Member
    Good luck.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,187 Senior Member
    Seems like an endless cycle. Hot and dry and wildfires, then when the rains come there's the inevitable mudslides and flooding. Hope all y'all out there in California and the Western states don't have to deal with either!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #9
    You forgot when it does rain, all the vegetation grows bigger so there is more fuel the next fire season.  Wish we could send you some of our rain.  Feels like we are in a tropical rain forest this summer.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician