Hey Chris...

2»

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    Open the bore.  Path of least resistance...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    The other two blind holes were/ are for sights. Because reasons. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,171 Senior Member
    I think I have a .32 cal round ball mold if you get bored with BB's :#

Sako
    I may try tapping the vent and installing a threaded plug.  Then drill a smaller hole for the fuse. 
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,224 Senior Member
    The late friend of my dad did a lot of machining. He made a cannon that he loaded with swaged "38" HBWCs and black powder, or 36cal round balls (000 buckshot)

The FFFg or FFFFg he used generated enough pressure to flair the skirt for a good seal
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,220 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    I may try tapping the vent and installing a threaded plug.  Then drill a smaller hole for the fuse. 
    When you do that, I have a suggestion. DO NOT drill the hole for the fuse all the way through. Instead, drill a small hole through the plug first, then drill a hole for the fuse but leave about 1/16" short. That way the fuse fits, and the spark from the fuse will flash through the small hole igniting the powder, but not give the powder a relief path through the fuse hole. That's how a percussion cap nipple works.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

tennmike said:
    cpj said:
    When you do that, I have a suggestion. DO NOT drill the hole for the fuse all the way through. Instead, drill a small hole through the plug first, then drill a hole for the fuse but leave about 1/16" short. That way the fuse fits, and the spark from the fuse will flash through the small hole igniting the powder, but not give the powder a relief path through the fuse hole. That's how a percussion cap nipple works.
    And I learned something new today!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I'm old. I know stuff! :smiley:

tennmike said:
    We’ll add sneaky and crafty to that statement 😁
    Noted. Ifn I take a notion to work in the shop I’ll do that.  Got to
    make sure I’ve got the proper drill and tap. 
    Zee
    tennmike said:
    We’ll add sneaky and crafty to that statement 😁
    I had some GREAT and PATIENT teachers when I was growing up. Knowing how and why something works, and applying it to other applications, is the way to mechanical understanding. Chris could have done the same thing when drilling the original fuse hole, but having a replaceable fuse 'nipple' is more better in the long run.

2»